Buying advice for someone wanting an A3 1997-2000

Started by ccd, July 09, 2009, 09:27:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ccd

Hi All,

We are looking for a small car for my partner to drive to and from work and around town etc.
She likes the little audi A3's.
As its just a cheapie runaround we only want to spend about 4500-7000 at this stage.

Can you please advise what are the main things to look for on these cars when buying them secondhand?

Would a 97 that has done 200,000kms for about $5k be worth the risk? Looks tidy otherwise.

And also if anyone knows the best place to get one serviced etc in Chch?

Really appreciate your help!

slowmo

word of advice, audi's aren't cheap run-around cars  :-\

for a 12 yo car with 200km's on it, expect to have to do a lot of maintenance.

Current: 2004 MK4 R32 3-door NZ New DBP

Past: 2010 MK6 GTI / 2013 Nissan Leaf LOL / 2007 B7 RS4 / 2006 MK5 R32 / 2005 MK5 GTI / 1998 MK4 GTI / 1997 B5 A4 MTM

Trofeo

agree with slowmo re the cost of running an audi (or VW for that matter).

However if you are set on getting one, then get it checked out by a dealership that can put their diagnostic tools on it to check the electronics etc.

Cambelts are around $1000-$1500 depending on the engine type and need doing every 5 years or 100kms whichever comes first.

Steering racks can fail and leak fluid which are around $800 to repair. Many rubber suspension mounts and bushes will be failing at 200kms and these add up pretty quickly. A single one can cost $250 to replace. Clutch is around $1500 or $3000 if the flywheel also needs replacing (at 200kms it would). Not sure about the Auto transmissions though. Check the service history for recent services on this.

Check all the heater/aircon buttons work and the radio volume (if factory) works properly and doesnt go from quiet to full volume in one small twist.

Some/most A3s creak when driving over bumps/driveways etc and this is caused by the window regulators (wind the windows down a fraction and it goes away). I believe there was an Audi recall for this back in the day which replaced the regulators, but this is no longer available. Something you have to live with and it can get really annoying!!

Keys are expensive so hopefully it has at least two. You can get aftermarket keys for around $100 coded to the car, but factory ones are $300+

thats all i can think of now, but be warned there are many things that fail. Audi's are no more reliable than any other 12 year old car, and the parts/labour is higher than others too.

I think Archibalds are the dealer in Chc so maybe call them to get an idea of standard servicing costs. They will have a base fee for a 20Kms 40Kms, 60Kms, 100kms etc.

5K sounds about right for a 97 with 200kms if its had the cambelt done and it checks out ok.
2015 Amarok 4WD auto
2018 Golf R-Line Tsi

ccd

Cheers guys!

Maybe I should get her a Toyota!

The A3 is a nice looking car but Im not keen on spending anything on it after purchase if posssible.

HandsomeDan

If you are looking at an A3 in that price-range, I'd just say no.

For that money you'll get a nicer Mazda, Toyota, whatever with lower KM's and in better condition. You need to spend minimum $8-12K for a decent oldish A3.

If she's dead-set on an A3, try her in a Golf. really similar but cheaper and they aren't really as expensive to run as people will tell you if you shop around.
1998 Mk III Golf,
1992 B4 Audi 80
2007 Toyota RAV4
2000 Mazda SP20 AWD (JDM Mazdaspeed Edition)
1996 Toyota Starlet - daily hack
2003 Opel Zafira GSi 2.2
2007 Volvo XC70

bigbumper

CCD - shop carefully and it's possible to get what you're looking for
I helped my sister buy a 1998 A3 1.8 auto last year
127kms and it'd just had a full service incl waterpump, cambelt & tensioners
Nice little car - she loves it
Paid a shade under $4300 for it
She's had almost 12 months motoring, only problem she's had is a faulty brake light switch which ran the battery flat
I replaced the switch ($30 from Qualitat) and charged the battery, all good