Anyone got love for Mk6s?

Started by Filx, July 16, 2009, 03:06:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Filx

Having seen several poverty pack Mk6s on the road in the last few weeks I've been pretty disappointed with the look and styling of the Mk6 when out in the real world. All soft and rounded and looking like a small people mover from the back.  :( But my one hope was waiting to see a GTI.

So today I'm stuck in traffic heading down Khyber Pass and what do I spot coming towards me but a new Mk6 Golf in black. As it got closer I noticed it was a GTI and I got all a bit excited. Only to be crushed, yes crushed by an overwhelming sense of boredom and disappointment. I suppose in hindsight I shouldn't be surprised if the normal Mk6s are so bland to look at how is a body kit, alloys and a GTI badge really going to change things? But I was clinging to the hope that somehow, through some design magic it could happen. Unfortunately it didn't.

So does anyone else like the Mk6? What am I missing? Should I pin my hopes on the R20 or some other hotter version?

FAIL - First Attempt In Learning

SteveC

I'm not particularly taken with them and find the detailing a bit chintzy

brian

Best selling car in Europe at the moment so maybe something is right
Škoda Fabia 1.0 TSI Race Blue

HandsomeDan

Yeah, I'm a little underwhelmed myself.

they look...dare I say it...faux-Japanese.
1998 Mk III Golf,
1992 B4 Audi 80
2007 Toyota RAV4
2000 Mazda SP20 AWD (JDM Mazdaspeed Edition)
1996 Toyota Starlet - daily hack
2003 Opel Zafira GSi 2.2
2007 Volvo XC70

HandsomeDan

R20 doesn't look much different to the GTi:

1998 Mk III Golf,
1992 B4 Audi 80
2007 Toyota RAV4
2003 Opel Zafira GSi 2.2
2007 Volvo XC70

Simon MkII

The GTI really needed new wheels imo. It just looks like a mk5 facelift now.
Mazda Mx5

RS ZWEI

I think a Mk5 is a better looking car than a Mk6.
Infact I'm not digging much of the new styling of the current VAG crop ATM, well apart from the R8.

1980 VW Golf GTI Track Car
1995 Audi RS2
2003 Mini Cooper S (Written off - rear ended)
2005 Mini Cooper S
2006 Skoda Octavia vRS Combi
2009 Renault Megane 230 R26 (Written off - rear ended)
2013 Renault Megane RS265 Redbull RB8

Y0RKI

one word sums it all up.

German
Everything is for sale, you just have to offer the right money
2002 Maserati 4200 Spyder
2006 Alfa Romeo 147 GTA - For Sale
2001 Fiat Coupe 20Vt Le - gone
1998 Fiat Bravo HGT - gone
1996 Fiat Coupe 16vt - gone
1990 Fiat Uno Turbo - gone (to heaven)
1986 Fiat Uno Turbo - gone

1.8t

They always seem to grow on me over a period of time but the mk6 isnt there yet.

Maybe we all had such high expectations from the mk4 - mk5 transition. Especially the gti

The exhaust on the mk6 gti annoys me for some reason. Looks like a little pea shooter :p
Dudlee the 86 318i
Past.. 95 328i M Coupe, 97 Pug 306, 97 Vento

HandsomeDan

I like the Toerag styling and the new Tiguan. Just doesn't suit the Golf, IMO.
1998 Mk III Golf,
1992 B4 Audi 80
2007 Toyota RAV4
2003 Opel Zafira GSi 2.2
2007 Volvo XC70

Filx

Quote from: 1.8t on July 16, 2009, 04:11:50 PM
They always seem to grow on me over a period of time but the mk6 isnt there yet.

Maybe we all had such high expectations from the mk4 - mk5 transition. Especially the gti

Yes, great point. I remember a real sense of excitement when the Mk5 GTI came out - maybe the Mk6 is reminiscent transition from the Mk1/Mk2 error to the Mk3/Mk4 error? Though at least the Mk3 had the VR6 and Mk4 had the R32 to add some extra pizzaz to the range. That R20 unfortunately doesn't excite me one bit either.

Simon MkII

Era or error? I guess the mk3 and 4 were a bit of an error. Its a shame they didn't go straight from the mk2 to mk5....
:P
Mazda Mx5

SteveC

from a purely practical point of view, the Mk3 worked really well for me, particularly from a size point of view, it was more compact than the Mk5 but didn't lose out much on the interior space for the family

the only Mk1 I've driven was particularly baggy and probably 20 years ago and I haven't driven a Mk2, wasn't excited by the V5 I had the use of for a couple of months except for the nice warbly sounds

NZDoug

I miss the "moustache" grille on the mk.5 GTI/R32s.
Also, no manual shift, what the????
HEY! HO! LETS GO!

Filx

Quote from: Simon MkII on July 16, 2009, 04:46:00 PM
Era or error? I guess the mk3 and 4 were a bit of an error. Its a shame they didn't go straight from the mk2 to mk5....
:P

Yeah that was a bit of a teaser! (Or Freudian slip - depending which way you want to look at it)  :D

deeboy

i have some love for the 3dr Gti on the TV. But we aren't getting that are we?

i read a post somewhere, that was well put, something like.." they need to dig deep & find the DNA that went into the MK1 Gti & work on that for all following Gti's"...
The MK5 was the closest thing i think, yet the have not bettered it in the MK6, just changed it.
MK7 Golf niceness

old4130

Like others.. Golfs grow on me over time, & thats a good thing

But the Mk6, I an't feeling anything for..

The Mk5, I was excited, Mk3 I was excited in early 90's, Mk4, I wasn't so much, but it did seem waaay more modern in '98, than the Mk3

It is a facelifted Mk5, & but IMO.. badly done, & yes the GTI should have new wheels, I like the Mk5 GTI lots still, Mk6 just bores me..

Fifth Gear did a review of MK6 GTI, said it drove fantastic.. pity it looks like shrunken Toureg at the rear
2005 Audi A4 1.8tq S line
1997 VW Golf GTI 16v
2011 Keeway Matrix
1987 Honda Beat FC 50 ~ 50cc of Fury

2000 SEAT Cordoba SXE ~ Her Car - Sold
2004 Subaru Forester XT 2.5 Limited ~ Her Car

coons

I have love for it. I think it looks good, low, fat, sharp and mean face. New wheels perhaps could have been better, but the Detroits still suit it well.
I prefer it over the Mk5

And as for the lesser models, the lesser models of any car always look pretty average in comparison, but I think they still have class

Fizz

As it stands i don't like the mk6 golfs maybe with an aggressive body kit it will transform the car like the Reiger kit on the Scirocco?

djrisk

Quote from: Mk1unoT on July 16, 2009, 04:11:14 PM
one word sums it all up.

German
Ha Clive, at least its not French!

I got no love for the Mk6, plus i saw a green Sirrocco in the flesh the other day - i threw up a little :-\
Him - Amarok highline
Her - S3 8P