Drove the Mk 6 GTI at Puke today

Started by MarkRTC, July 22, 2009, 03:21:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkRTC

I am a happy lad.  Went to a track day at Puke today run by VW to show off the new GTI.  Had an absolute blast, and picked up some pretty useful skills along the way.  The day was run by guys from a company called Downforce, and they included a couple of the guys (Tim Martin and Stu Owers - both fantatic chaps) who raced at the Nurburgring 24 hour race, and Emma Gilmour.  I'll see if I can post a couple of pics:

Simon MkII

Looks like fun! I keep seeing these GTI's with numbers on them coming through the workshop looking all grubby and used  8) makes me wish I was out there in them.
Mazda Mx5

MarkRTC

One of the red ones had a moment out there going around the esses - and let out a cloud of smoke - I wouldn't be surprised if you see that one shortly!

Mike1410

Wondered whose VASK stickered GTi I parked behind when I arrived.

Did you get to play with the 2 Scirocco's aswell? You can definately feel the difference on the slalom exercise between the Golf with the DCC and the Scirocco without it.

I personally prefer the Scirocco - but then I'm biased ;D

Number21

I don't care what anyone says I like the detroit alloys. Looks like a fun day

MarkRTC

Mike, were you in the yellow Audi?  I didn't have the chance to try the Scirocco, but I do have bragging rights for taking out 2nd place in the slalom.  The DCC is a must have option I reckon.

Mike1410

Yes, the yellow A2 is mine.

We were invited as a thank-you from CCS 'cos they had borrowed our mk2 Scirocco for a week to display in the showroom. Think we were the only one's there not in a Golf Gti! Giltrap's guests were arriving for the afternoon session as we left, so guess every mk5 Golf GTi in the Auckland area was in Puke that day! ;D

It was good fun, all the more so 'cos I have never driven a GTi of any era before. I had a mk5 1.6 fsi with the 6 speed manual gearbox as my driving school car back in the UK - the only Golf I've ever driven. The Gti is obviously way faster but they both stop well!!!