1987 90 2.2 engine problem

Started by Tracked, August 06, 2009, 07:09:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tracked

Im looking at buying a 87 90 with a 2200cc 5 cylinder manual but theres a problem with the engine
It will start sometimes but idle rough have no power and die. It will be fine sometimes but then die after a while.
Are there any common problems that occur with these motors usually? New to audi's
cheers

GTI's

sounds like a blocked fuel filter or weak pump.

Tracked

are there any other things that could possibly be wrong?
Dont wana buy something thats going to be expensive to fix if it turns out not to be the fuel pump or filter

RS ZWEI

Quote from: Tracked on August 06, 2009, 07:37:13 PM
are there any other things that could possibly be wrong?
Dont wana buy something thats going to be expensive to fix if it turns out not to be the fuel pump or filter

Something to do with the injection?
Its a hard question to answer.
1980 VW Golf GTI Track Car
1995 Audi RS2
2003 Mini Cooper S (Written off - rear ended)
2005 Mini Cooper S
2006 Skoda Octavia vRS Combi
2009 Renault Megane 230 R26 (Written off - rear ended)
2013 Renault Megane RS265 Redbull RB8

qta4

What is the engine like when hot, does it start ok?
Skill is, sucessfully tightrope walking across the Niagra Falls.
Intelligence is, having the sense not to do it.

Tracked

hard to start, very tempermental when hot usually coughs and dies about a 100m down the road

5-pot

Sounds like a vacuum leak...  I had to rev mine just to keep it running when i had left a big hose off the intake manifold...
?The bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it.? - Thucydides (Ancient Greek historian and author, 460-404bc)

- 1990 Coupe quattro - R.I.P.
- 1988 90 quattro project... Sold
- 2005 Golf 2.0 TDI

deedub

Whenever I have had rough idling and stalling it has been a vacuum leak. They can take ages to find too.
1983 T25 Microbus - keep forever, never finish
1988 mk2 Golf 2L 16v - work in progress

86gte

Could be a vacuum leak I think, they do have issues with the idle control valve but mine never actually stalled from that, it would just idle at like 300rpm sometimes. This problem could be a combination of a vacuum leak and a sticky idle valve? Have you been over all the electrics? Just make sure all the connectors are plugged in hard and all the spark leads and distributor are clean.

86gte

wilco

Quote from: Tracked on August 06, 2009, 07:37:13 PM
Dont wana buy something thats going to be expensive to fix ...

This is Audi mate, no such thing as a cheap fix on these things, esp if it's a hard-to-track problem with the ignition/injection!

Good luck but yes I'd try for vacuum leaks first.

stevenc1963

Check also that the oil filler cap is the right one and this it is well sealed onto the rocker cover and that the dipstick is firmly seated in its tube. Engine air pressure leaks at these points cause running faults. Keep in mind that engines are cheap at the wreckers. Volksworld in Christchurch had one that had been driven that they would take $200 or maybe less for last month.
1985 Type 85 80 quattro
1989 Scirocco GT 2010 VW Nats, Best in Show, Water Cooled.
1990 100 quattro Avant
2000 Vespa PX150E