Mk2 GTi - modifications

Started by bigbumper, January 08, 2005, 01:33:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigbumper

Hey guys
I have a Mk2 Golf Gti 16v, I'm after a bit of advice on what the most effective mods are.

It's pretty stock at the moment, suspension (shocks and bushes) and brakes (new discs and uprated pads) have been replaced recently so I'm looking at anything that might release some more power eg. headers, exhaust, air filter/cold air box.  Nothing too wild or $$$ though

Are strut braces of any benefit on the Mk2 and if so where can I get some?

Would appreciate any ideas, particularly from those who've been there done that

Cool site by the way....

dubstar

Welcome.

I've got a strut brace on my GTI, it helped a little in keeping the car falt around corners.  As for releasing ponies, you should invest in good leads/plugs/filters/oil and have the car serviced and timing adjusted by Jeremy (orggti).

"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying."

Period_Correct_

1971 Porsche 911T | 1990 Audi Quattro Turbo | 2003 Audi RS6 Avant | 2009 Renault Megane R26

bsting

Do you own the blue 3dr that was for sale on the shore ?

likegolf88

Jeremy can upgrade yr brakes too.

bigbumper

Quote from: NasTnaS on January 08, 2005, 04:39:41 PM
REX has MILTEK headers....

Sorry, I'm obviously new here.... who's Rex?

bigbumper

Quote from: BSTING on January 09, 2005, 12:22:27 PM
Do you own the blue 3dr that was for sale on the shore ?

No mines a black 5dr, I've had it for about 18 months

Period_Correct_

admin... URQ20V... REX... AUDI GOD...
1971 Porsche 911T | 1990 Audi Quattro Turbo | 2003 Audi RS6 Avant | 2009 Renault Megane R26

orggti

I have rear discs but this mk2 gti will have them allready and yes i can tune it for you but it may be all good anyway so wont really give more power unless it was out.

bigbumper

Quote from: orggti on January 10, 2005, 03:59:39 PM
I have rear discs but this mk2 gti will have them allready and yes i can tune it for you but it may be all good anyway so wont really give more power unless it was out.

Yep its already got rear discs.? I think tuning is fine, was more after ideas on things like whether cold air induction and headers were worth doing - by the sound of things no-one really knows?

robh

if you want more power out of a 16v GTI get head and cams done, if you can afford it go for a 2l block, tuned correctly you will get an honest 170/180bhp and it will be an awesome road engine.

we tested several different aftermarket exhaust systems on a dyno in the uk and they made very little extra power compared to the stock VAG system and it was so far up the rev range you would be redlining it all the time to get to the power.

air filters will make it sound/feel faster, but as far as power goes very little gains.  we made 180bhp with 2l block, flowed head, schrick cams, VAG system and Remus rear box (for looks only), K & N filter inside standard airbox.

Daily Driver - VW Touareg V8 TDI 2012 "towing beast"
Too Many Cars - Lotus Elise S 2013 "tangerine dream"
Project Car - Golf VR6 Turbo "built not bought"
Wifes - Audi S4 Avant 2012 "I want a white car that sounds nice"

bigbumper

Thanks Rob, I suspected that might be the case.?

Any idea how wild the 180bhp cams are?? My Golf gets subjected to Auckland rush hour every day so it needs to stay fairly driveable...

RS ZWEI

Quote from: bigbumper on January 10, 2005, 07:50:21 PM

Any idea how wild the 180bhp cams are?? My Golf gets subjected to Auckland rush hour every day so it needs to stay fairly driveable...

If you had a 2L block it would be more driveable than say a 1.8L block.
There was a Passat 2.0 16V engine for sale on the forum, see if thats still for sale, it would make a good starting point as it already has 150 BHP.
1980 VW Golf GTI Track Car
1995 Audi RS2
2003 Mini Cooper S (Written off - rear ended)
2005 Mini Cooper S
2006 Skoda Octavia vRS Combi
2009 Renault Megane 230 R26 (Written off - rear ended)
2013 Renault Megane RS265 Redbull RB8

robh

Quote from: bigbumper on January 10, 2005, 07:50:21 PM

they weren't crazy, as I said it was a very nice road engine, even got better gas mileage!  It had more power and torque everywhere.

don't go for a big valve head, the 16v don't really benefit much, unless you go full race cams...
Daily Driver - VW Touareg V8 TDI 2012 "towing beast"
Too Many Cars - Lotus Elise S 2013 "tangerine dream"
Project Car - Golf VR6 Turbo "built not bought"
Wifes - Audi S4 Avant 2012 "I want a white car that sounds nice"

orggti

if you get the passat 2l and put cams and flow it you will have spent a good 2 grand by the time your driving it again. but its the way to go.

bigbumper

Righto, thanks for the advice guys.? Looks like the 2L upgrade will go on the "to do" list for this year... :)

RS ZWEI

Quote from: bigbumper on January 11, 2005, 06:21:13 PM
Righto, thanks for the advice guys.? Looks like the 2L upgrade will go on the "to do" list for this year... :)

Nice
Keep us upto date.
1980 VW Golf GTI Track Car
1995 Audi RS2
2003 Mini Cooper S (Written off - rear ended)
2005 Mini Cooper S
2006 Skoda Octavia vRS Combi
2009 Renault Megane 230 R26 (Written off - rear ended)
2013 Renault Megane RS265 Redbull RB8