GTI lights

Started by blackcat88, September 15, 2009, 04:45:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blackcat88

Hi there, I just got hold of a GTI mk6 2 weeks ago,  And just found out that its headlight is only h7 normal light instead of any xenon headlights.

And just checked on trademe and found that if i want HID xenon lights on my car i need to install the whole HID conversion kit.

Of course, I checked with the dealer and see if any warranty will be void and they told me that only lighting stuff warranty will be void. So does anyone have an idea of what lighting warranty will cover? and Is it likely to appears to be any false on lighting?

Sorry i if i do have any grammar mistake

Simon MkII

There is no "lighting warranty" as such. If you fit replacement bulbs which are not oem or equivalent you will not be covered if there are any problems with the headlights and all associated wiring or switches. At least that's what common sense is telling me.
Mazda Mx5

GLIDN

not only what Simon mkII said,

if you car does not have XENON's factory installed, it's illegal to install afterwards, even if you install the genuine Audi/VW parts into the car.

Just been down this road for the audi converting from H7 to xenon bulb and ballast.
Audi A4 DTM - K04 NZ New | All bolt-ons | Carbon Clean done
2012 MK6R Golf |Stage 3+ | Stage 4 DSG | Tuned & Built by HSP Tuning

qta4

The retro fitting of Xenon lamps also require self leveling mechanism. Too hard IMO
Skill is, sucessfully tightrope walking across the Niagra Falls.
Intelligence is, having the sense not to do it.

oily

Does retro-fitting also mandate a washing system as per factory fitment ?

Blackcat88;
You should have read the spec sheet more carefully.
Xenons are a $2200 option.

;D

Did you least get the DCC and 18" wheel options ?

IMO mandatory on the GTI.

Simon MkII

There are some kits on trademe now that claim to be legal hid kits that fit in to normal H7 and H4 headlights, they come with their own little ballast and everything I think. WOuld be interesting to see if they really are legal.

I'm not so sure about requiring washers and levellers. My car has hid lights but no washers or levellers... it is a factory standard system though.
Mazda Mx5

SteveC

given that the standard lights on the Mk5 GTI are pretty freakin' incredible, do you need or just want xenons?

blackcat88

Hi there,

Thanks for all your replies... But im just wanting the xenon that's all. :D

Im not sure if there is such a lighting warranty.. But i called the dealer and I asked if any warranty gna be void and they said only something with the light will be void nt the engine and stuff.

So just curious what lighting warranty ( if there is any) will be covering.

blackcat88

Quote from: Simon MkII on September 15, 2009, 07:30:29 PM
There are some kits on trademe now that claim to be legal hid kits that fit in to normal H7 and H4 headlights, they come with their own little ballast and everything I think. WOuld be interesting to see if they really are legal.

I'm not so sure about requiring washers and levellers. My car has hid lights but no washers or levellers... it is a factory standard system though.

I guess those are the one that i am looking at.:D

Simon MkII

Like I said, there is no "lighting warranty". If you purchase a new car then it has a warranty covering every part on the car. If you fit something that is not standard, ie it wasn't on the car when it left the factory, then it will not be covered by the warranty and it's possible anything related to that part will also not be covered. You should be aware also that if you fit these and something goes wrong somewhere else in the car, they may question why non oem parts have been fitted and it may effect any warranty claims.

This is just my opinion, based on a few years in the industry and the many problems I have read about people having with dealers and warranty claims.
Mazda Mx5

linkdown

HID kits appear to be illegal

http://www.ltsa.govt.nz/vehicles/get-your-lights-right.html

"HID conversion kits (an HID bulb with a high voltage power unit or 'ballast' which fits into the original headlamp unit in place of the original bulb with no change to the headlamp lens, reflector or housing) are illegal on any vehicle being used on New Zealand roads."