A4 1.8Tq

Started by Rusty05, September 13, 2005, 08:42:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rusty05

Hi guys,
I am new to the world of VAG cars and the forum. I have just bought a '97 A4 1.8Tq. I was looking at evo lancers, but a friend had a 98 GTI Golf that i liked so when the opportunity came up to buy a straight A4 1.8Tq, i thought "why not get some thing different?". Rex from quadring (thanks for your time on the phone the other day) suggested that i join the forum. So here i am. Now i have got the A4 i have realised that they are pretty mild out of the box. I don't own a money tree but i do have a couple of grand to throw at it straight away. Any suggestions? i thought i might start with the wheels as it has some nasty alloys on it and snow tyres(?!)...

Turbo

good choice. A4's rule, in my humble opinion.
not biased or anything.

for a power upgrade get that sucker chipped. (i think rex has AMD chips - is that right?)
or to make it look less dadsy lower it, it'll improve the handling tenfold.
2000 S4, MTM stage 1, Oettinger RE's, Bilstein Sports, Vogtland springs, H&R Swaybars, DBA 4000 rotors, EBC Yellow stuff pads, 710N DV's, F1 tints, RS4 clutch

beeker

I would suggest, in order:
1. Chip it + fresh TT BPV (TT BPV is cheap)
2. nice Wheels (widest is 225 without rubbing)
3. Suspenson (suggest H&R Coilovers)
4. Exhaust, but dont do the DP unless your gonna remap
5. Body kit
and if your serious...
6. Ko4 turbo swap + Ko4 chip (~230/240hp)
7. Brake Upgrade (slotted A8 rotors with TT carriers for the look, or stoptechs for track work)
14 RS6 Avant Black
23 RS6 Performance avant on order
17 Q7 S Line 200kw
93 E36 M3 Targa Car
01 Porsche Boxster Series Race Car
17 Porsche 991.2 GT3 clubsport
94 DC2 Integra Targa/Track Race Car
13 TR86 race car
2018 Highlander
2017 Outback

Rusty05

Thanks for the input. A couple of questions...

1. Wheels. 17's or 18's? The car is going to see a bit of gravel (read 'potholes') so I'm not sure if 18's are going to leave me much rubber. Plus, it seems that if you go 18's, you almost 'have' to lower it as that size wheel can look odd unless its sitting in the guards. Does anybody else think that is a valid comment?
2. Lowering. I am already scraping occasionally on the front (see 1). I cant imagine dropping the car anymore than 20-30mm. What has everybody else found to be successful?
3.Brakes. A8 rotors and TT calipers. Is this a "bolt on" upgrade?

Any info greatly appreciated...

Turbo

Quote from: Rusty05 on September 14, 2005, 08:18:31 AM

2. Lowering. I am already scraping occasionally on the front (see 1). I cant imagine dropping the car anymore than 20-30mm. What has everybody else found to be successful?

do you have a front lip spoiler?

mine's lowered quite a bit (95mm clearance) and i don't have any problems until i encounter steep driveways and that's really just because of the spoiler.
even on most dirt roads it's fine (unless it hasn't been graded for years and the tyre channels are 96mm lower than the centre of the road.
2000 S4, MTM stage 1, Oettinger RE's, Bilstein Sports, Vogtland springs, H&R Swaybars, DBA 4000 rotors, EBC Yellow stuff pads, 710N DV's, F1 tints, RS4 clutch

beeker

Quote from: Rusty05 on September 14, 2005, 08:18:31 AM

1. Wheels. 17's or 18's? The car is going to see a bit of gravel (read 'potholes') so I'm not sure if 18's are going to leave me much rubber. Plus, it seems that if you go 18's, you almost 'have' to lower it as that size wheel can look odd unless its sitting in the guards. Does anybody else think that is a valid comment?
3.Brakes. A8 rotors and TT calipers. Is this a "bolt on" upgrade?

1. Personally I would go with 17", over to you. Get something nice and lite, maybe some BBS.
2. TBA, my A4 has the Quattro GmbH suspension, as its the Lemans. But with coilovers, you can adjust to suit.
3. There is allot on www.audiworld.com on this. You use std TT carriers, A8 rotors, and its a straight bolt on, other than the smallest of filing req'd. Believe there is a FAQ on it. It wont compete with a proper big 4pot brake upgrade, but could be a good mid ground upgrade.
14 RS6 Avant Black
23 RS6 Performance avant on order
17 Q7 S Line 200kw
93 E36 M3 Targa Car
01 Porsche Boxster Series Race Car
17 Porsche 991.2 GT3 clubsport
94 DC2 Integra Targa/Track Race Car
13 TR86 race car
2018 Highlander
2017 Outback

Rusty05

Hmmm... 17" could be the go. I can hear an extra 35HP calling pretty strong too. Aaarghh!

RS ZWEI

Quote from: beeker on September 13, 2005, 05:34:27 PM
I would suggest, in order:
1. Chip it + fresh TT BPV (TT BPV is cheap)
2. nice Wheels (widest is 225 without rubbing)
3. Suspenson (suggest H&R Coilovers)
4. Exhaust, but dont do the DP unless your gonna remap
5. Body kit
and if your serious...
6. Ko4 turbo swap + Ko4 chip (~230/240hp)
7. Brake Upgrade (slotted A8 rotors with TT carriers for the look, or stoptechs for track work)

What is a BPV?
1980 VW Golf GTI Track Car
1995 Audi RS2
2003 Mini Cooper S (Written off - rear ended)
2005 Mini Cooper S
2006 Skoda Octavia vRS Combi
2009 Renault Megane 230 R26 (Written off - rear ended)
2013 Renault Megane RS265 Redbull RB8

Rusty05

ByPass Valve I assume. Japanese car lovers call them Blow Off Valves. But I think the Euro cars return the air to the air intake enclosure, whereas BOV's generally vent the excess air into the engine bay. Am i right? ???

taupoq

yep also known as a wastgate