2001 Audi TT f0r $19k, good buy?

Started by lorrainel, October 13, 2009, 10:08:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lorrainel

Hi all,
am new to this forum. I'm eyeing up a imported blue audi tt (standard 5spd, 180HP), going for $19k
has done 89,000 kms, going for a pre-purchase vehicle inspection @ Qualitat as we speak. Apparantly needs its left CV joint/boot replaced, which the seller will replace at his own cost, and will get me a new key (alarm/central locking). From what I've read so far on all the audi forums, everyone's recommending the timing belt/tensioner/water pump be replaced ASAP once the car hits over 90,000 kms, i've already gotten a quote from Giltraps for $1600 for the cambelt, we'll see what Qualitat says after today.

Does anyone have any thoughts re: the car? its a little cutie, got a couple of minor scuffs on the paintwork near the wheel (obviously scraped a mailbox), it was imported from Singapore June 2007 @ 47,000 kms, first NZ owner did a full Audi service inc pollen filter replacement, etc, the 2nd owner has only had it a few months and is selling it coz he's got a company car. seems like the genuine deal, am I paying too much?
Oh and I saw another audi tt (2000, 6speed, blue, imported, done 58,000 kms, but has had 7 NZ owners!! trouble??)
All input would be much appreciated! ???

HaNs

Quote from: lorrainel on October 13, 2009, 10:08:01 AM
Hi all,
am new to this forum. I'm eyeing up a imported blue audi tt (standard 5spd, 180HP), going for $19k
has done 89,000 kms, going for a pre-purchase vehicle inspection @ Qualitat as we speak. Apparantly needs its left CV joint/boot replaced, which the seller will replace at his own cost, and will get me a new key (alarm/central locking). From what I've read so far on all the audi forums, everyone's recommending the timing belt/tensioner/water pump be replaced ASAP once the car hits over 90,000 kms, i've already gotten a quote from Giltraps for $1600 for the cambelt, we'll see what Qualitat says after today.

Does anyone have any thoughts re: the car? its a little cutie, got a couple of minor scuffs on the paintwork near the wheel (obviously scraped a mailbox), it was imported from Singapore June 2007 @ 47,000 kms, first NZ owner did a full Audi service inc pollen filter replacement, etc, the 2nd owner has only had it a few months and is selling it coz he's got a company car. seems like the genuine deal, am I paying too much?
Oh and I saw another audi tt (2000, 6speed, blue, imported, done 58,000 kms, but has had 7 NZ owners!! trouble??)
All input would be much appreciated! ???

Some people dont like Singapore imports as some have electrical issues due to humidity.

On the 7 owner car how many have been dealers/middle men?

Oh and are you a hairdresser?  :D

lorrainel

no not a hairdresser  ;D

both tt's i'm looking at are singapore imports. and from what i can see only one of the 7 nz owners of audi #2 is a dealer, so that makes 6 nz owners!!!
I can't decide!!!  ??? ??? please help!

Crockett

Shame you missed out on the '01 Roadster Quattro Repocars had for $1 Reserve last week.  Sold for $21k.  Was ex-Australia and had low kms.  Can't post a link as TradeMe is blocked at work.

I think you should hold out for a NZ new Quattro.  You will tire of the FWD torque steer very quickly!
A BMW owner, but have in the past had some nice VAG!

RS ZWEI

Did you see this NZ new TT that was listed yesterday?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Cars/Audi/TT/auction-247710283.htm

If I was you Id flag a Singapore import.

1980 VW Golf GTI Track Car
1995 Audi RS2
2003 Mini Cooper S (Written off - rear ended)
2005 Mini Cooper S
2006 Skoda Octavia vRS Combi
2009 Renault Megane 230 R26 (Written off - rear ended)
2013 Renault Megane RS265 Redbull RB8

djrisk

Dont buy an import, hold out for NZ new with history if you can :) Both those TTs from singapore are overpriced.
Him - Amarok highline
Her - S3 8P

RSI

Just to add to the confusion we have a 2002 or 2003 (Can't remenber which) 1.8T Roadster (convertible) for sale 100,000kms we have just done the cambelt/tensioner/waterpump/etc. $20,000. A Re Registered Car