GRINDIE DIFF

Started by 1oldAudi, September 20, 2005, 06:43:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1oldAudi

???Just a wee question to learned auto trans knowledgeable folk. When i reco'd my '89 100, the diff had tooth-less crownwheel and pinion. The pinion had collapsed and taken the roller bearing set with it. I found square rollers in the bottom of the trans case!!! The resultant sludge of oil (diff oil and trans fluid) and metal powder had travelled throughout the system... This is how i came to buy the car so cheaply. My thought is surely the previous owner would have noticed the noise would he not? The diff MUST have been moaning like a banshee i'd have thought.

Since rebuilding the trans, i've had a look at the diff oil and withdrew some with an oil gun to check it any metal is floating in it etc and i can report that it is purely oil... nice and clean.

I'm guessing the previous owner just didn't care. Afteral i found the front left strut had a completely collapsed shock and the associated wheel tended to steer whichever way it felt to the limits of a very worn tie rod end. The tyre was bald on the inside edge.

So, has anyone heard a death-imminent grindy diff or do they just suddenly let go? Thanks....

taupoq

only had one fail before due to a housing oil leak on an old ford Capri (rust!) an it went very quickly when I was doing about 100MPH in the UK. The noise did give me enough time to slow down but it was glowing red hot and the car filled with smoke as the pinion oil seal let go.

I did also have a Mazda bounty with a noisy diff last year (a known design issue) but the noise gave me plenty of warning to get it replaced before it failed. Something to do with spacers.... but it still needed a complete new assembly. Thankfully it was covered by the new vehicle warranty. Then I flogged it to get My A4TQ

orggti

i have heard a very grindy diff and yes they do put metal all through he box as the seals dont seal when theres that much play.
On audis they have seperate diff oil and ATF. retarded huh!