Audi but a Gudi

Started by AudiKam, September 26, 2005, 03:57:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AudiKam

Man am I glad someone told me about this site!!!!!
Hi there I have a 1985 GT Coupe 5E (I believe)
which after owning on & off for almost 6yrs I have decide to restore..... WHERE DO I GET PARTS???????
I've found a guy on ebay in the states who's helping me out, have been unable to find anywhere locally (Auckland, NZ)
My main quest is to source a set of lowered springs (not too low tho), I've got some beautiful 17" wheels coming from the states & I think the lower ride ( & respray) will set it off.
Also dropping in a 2.3L from I believe a 100 & playing with the cam a bit to give it some more grunt...

Would love to read any feedback/suggestions as to whether I can make the car more better-er

Cheers

[attachment deleted by admin]

wilco

Welcome aboard, good to see another series 2 coupe in such good nick.
PM me if you like to talk about specifics and chinwag about coupes in general.

bsting

drool...i love GT coupes.
welcome to Vask :)

If you are free on tuesday night, come to Galbraiths pub (mt eden) about 6.30pm, see the post in events.

Duncan

Welcome...!

I have some B&G lowering springs at home. Cost me $450. They lowered the car to a good level, but stiffness wasn't increased, so I found they were too low, and the car bottomed more than I would like. May be different on a different car, or may suit someone elses preferences.

I was looking for stiffer springs rather than lower, instead these were lower and no stiffer... bummer...
So, I could sell you mine (if I've talked them up enough!) or I would recommend finding different ones..!

I'll even let ya try them first if you want, and just give 'em back if they're no good. They're just decorating the garage at the moment in any case. My alternative plan was to get them re-tempered to a higher stiffness, and see if that helps.

cheers
Duncan

AudiKam

Thanks Duncan,
May I ask what model did you have the springs on? was it a GT Coupe?
Did you use the springs with new or aftermarket shocks?
I'm just asking as I have new shocks in the coupe right now & it is a relatively stiff ride (from memory).
How much lower than standard do they make the car sit?
If they fit I'd definitely be keen to try them out

Cheers,

Campbell

AudiKam

Hey BSTING, thanks for the invite, the 1st & last tuesday of each month is not a goer for me, but I would definitely be keen to other fellow Audi enthusiastsl another time.
Keep me posted?

Quote from: BSTING on September 26, 2005, 04:47:01 PM
drool...i love GT coupes.
welcome to Vask :)

If you are free on tuesday night, come to Galbraiths pub (mt eden) about 6.30pm, see the post in events.

bsting

Hey, no problem, we are there every tuesday. Approx 6.30pm on...

Mike

Welcome to the site!

I've got a Coupe quattro - same engine and looks as a Coupe GT but with 4WD. I've been pondering the springs issue for a while, and have ended up with Koni Sport dampers with standard springs.

H+R (German and high quality) make springs for the quattro models so might list a set for a CGT. I've heard that the set for the Coupe quattro makes the front sit a bit high though, which was solved by one bloke by lowering the front spring seats to level the car.

The Coupe GT is a great car and can be made to handle really well (much better than stock as the original dampers were too soft).

Euroline in Drury still do bits I believe, and there are wreckers around in other parts of the country. I get a lot of bits from Continental Cars too. Try the dealer - sometimes cheaper than you think (sometimes not though) Loads of bits on ebay UK.

GlenT

Also you should talk to Basil from Auto Passion in Christchurch. Very knowlegable with Audi's (he owns an Ur quattro amongst other Audi's) and can source pretty much anything. His work phone # 03 3487744

AudiKam

Thanks very much guys,
this is great!! what a community.
Can't wait to post pics of the final product.

Mike

H+R indeed do a spring set for the CGT - here is the spec of a US well-modded CGT. This bloke has clearly spent some cash...

1984 AUDI COUPE GT
SUSPENSION: Koni sport shocks, H&R springs, delrin bushings, 26mm 4000quattro front swaybar with urethane bushings, Addco 19mm rear swaybar, 257mm front brake conversion, braided steel lines, Carbotech XP-8 reace pads (front), Hawk HPS brake pads (rear),? WV GTI rear disc conversion, 15"x7" Borbett type ?B? with Bridgestone 205/50-15" S-03?s (track) Ronal R-7 15?x7?wB.F. Goodrich G-force sport 215/50-15? (street)
INTERIOR: Corbeau ?TRS? drivers seat, Crow 5 point harness (drivers) Corbeau 4 point harness(passenger), Momo competition steering wheel, european ?quattro? instrument aux. cluster, Norskog air/fuel ratio gauge, all ?auxillary? O.E.M. gauges were replaced with new VDO gauges and senders , transplanted brown velour interior from 1985 Audi coupe
ELECTRICAL: New Ceibe ?European? 80/100 watt H4 and 100watt H1 headlights, Hella 100w H3 fog lights, Blaufergnugen headlight ?relay? wiring harness, 130 amp ?Ultranator?, battery relocated to the trunk
BODY: New old stock O.E.M.? ?Euro? bumpers imported from Germany, Repainted Oct. 2002, A.C. removed. Curb weight: 2,400 pounds DRY
ENGINE:
HEAD: Aquamist water injection, Rebuilt, Ported ?NF? head and intake manifold,? 40mm intake 33mm exhaust valves, Tectonics adjustable cam sprocket, K&N air filter, ?opend up? airbox, 4000quattro ?5 into 3 into 1? exhaust manifold and down pipe (?Jet Hot? ceramic coated),? 2?? exhaust pipe, high flow catalytic converter, 18? glass pack, ?3 chamber? Flowmaster muffler, ? Blaufergnugen? sport camshaft:
Duration: 272?? ?Lift: 12mm/.473?? ?Lobe Center: 112?   
Valve Timing:? Intake: 27? btdc.    65? abdc.? ? Exhaust: 71? bbdc.    21? btdc.

BLOCK: Rebuilt 3rd generation 2309cc/141cu. in. ?NF? 5 cylinder engine with piston oil squirters, 10:1 compression, 20v windage tray, 5000 turbo oil cooler

TRANSMISSION: New old stock 5 speed ?close ratio? transmission, 215mm Sachs clutch, 16lb. lightened flywheel
Ratios:
1st: 2.85:1
2nd: 1.52:1
3rd: 1.07:1
4th: 0.78:1
5th: 0.64:1
Reverse: 3.17:1
Final Drive: 4.90:1?

NEAR FUTURE PLANS:
2bennett coilovers, phantom-grip limited slip, 034-1a stand alone progamable fuel injection,
custom strut brace, aluminum panhard rod, DOT-R track tires, big valve head, 2.6L Eurovan ?big block?