Audi 100 roof lining

Started by Rob, October 25, 2009, 10:19:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rob

Have just acquired an Audi 100 2.8 V6 1992 200K on the clock. It is going to need some TLC for which I will no doubt be posting questions here for wisdom from the collective.
The first of which is about the roof lining. It has sagged across the entire roof. Does anyone know the easiest fix for this? I assume it was glued up originally. I wondered if trying to iron it back up might reactivate the glue.
I picked it up from Akld and drove it back to Chch, I stapled the lining up above the drivers seat as a temporary quick fix. ;)

TIA

Rob

vag_nutter

The only way to do the hoodlining properly is to remove it from the car, clean all of the old glue off a get it recovered by an auto upholster

GlenT

True.
Save yourself some money by removing the card and dropping it off to an upholsterer. It's not a difficult job. Just remove all the plastic trim from the A, B and C pillars and remove the hand grabs, sun visors etc and your away laughing.
It should only cost about $120 or so for them to remove and replace with a quality fabric.
Don't bother wasting your time trying to fiddle about with the sagging one that's in there.
Personally I'd let them remove the old fabric as if you try scraping the glue off you can actually rub some of it into the card, thus reducing the effectiveness of the new glue.
Whereas when they do it, they should remove the glue with a rotary rubber burr which flicks all the glue off without leaving any residue. This also gives you a full warranty.

Rob

Thanks for the replies and advice. I will strip it out when I get a chance and see how easily the glue comes off. The car owes us nothing so on the one hand that means i don't want to spend much on it, on the other hand it still won't owe us much if i do spend some money on it. ???

regards

Rob