Whats the best chip to have in a 97 A4 TQ ?

Started by RS ZWEI, September 21, 2005, 10:09:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hitmanGTI

Sounds exactly like my problem

except i dont have turbo lag

I Love my BIG BORE Down pipe lol

.5 Bar from Throttle on all the way lol

shame its a pinner turbo but yeah replace the stupid DV and she will be a sweet car to drive

i wana rs6

So whats the consensus on the best chip to have. AMD seems to offer the lowest increases in horsepower.
Ill throw APR into the mix as well. They have switchable units, from stock to chipped that you can changee while your driving.
They post it back the same day they receive it. Your car will only be off the road for 2 days max.

hitmanGTI

Quote from: i wana rs6 on December 22, 2005, 12:14:46 PM
So whats the consensus on the best chip to have. AMD seems to offer the lowest increases in horsepower.
Ill throw APR into the mix as well. They have switchable units, from stock to chipped that you can changee while your driving.
They post it back the same day they receive it. Your car will only be off the road for 2 days max.

AMD seems to offer the lowest..??

What are u jokin'???

i wana rs6

They reckon only 35 extra horses wheras mtm and apr reckon about 50. Why up a car to 185 when it can go to 200 just as easily?

hitmanGTI

Quote from: i wana rs6 on December 22, 2005, 12:38:50 PM
They reckon only 35 extra horses wheras mtm and apr reckon about 50. Why up a car to 185 when it can go to 200 just as easily?

1 because they dont want to blow up the car by over boosting the crap little turbo..

2 APR power quotes are usually take with the full exhaust system bolted on..

Look at the AMD Stage 2 or three kits. and look at the power figures..

the difference is modifications to the induction and exchaust..

Stage 3 for a 1.8t is 220hp thats a high flow downpipe exhaust and filter.

i wana rs6

Has anyone heard of stramosphere? http://www.stratmosphere.com/oct_a4g1_stage1.htm There dyno chart seem to look pretty good.
Every time i look at tuning i seem to find new companies. How do you know which ones best?

hitmanGTI

the ones that dont have features like.. you can plug your thingermerjig in and completly imobilise your already unstealeable car.

avoid fashion.. hairdresser or any other suckey in feature like switchable programs.. its all a bunch of codswallop.. to suck in buyers to buying a chip that they think is invisible to the insurance company. and other crap like that.

i wana rs6

Wots bad about switchable programming. It would be easier on the engine, not running all the time at its limits.

hitmanGTI

Quote from: i wana rs6 on December 22, 2005, 03:09:46 PM
Wots bad about switchable programming. It would be easier on the engine, not running all the time at its limits.

its a crock of crap

urq20v

185-190bhp is a recognised as the safe limit for the OEM KO3 turbo with only a remap.Companies like APR are,IMO, full of sales hype.The amount of power increase for an individual car can only be verified on a dyno.If you want to overspin and drastically reduce the life of the turbo,go for a "200bhp" upgrade.Small turbos,like the KO3,require high boost pressures to move sufficient air to produce the claimed extra power and torque.This in turn produces high heat levels in the inlet tract which has the effect of reducing power!Many of the 200bhp claims from tuners require that you dont push the car for extended periods,otherwise heat buildup will have a negative effect.If you take the car on a track,you will notice that it will become slower as the laps increase.The ECU is compesating for excessive heat buildup.

Period_Correct_

Quote from: urq20v on December 22, 2005, 08:41:51 PM
185-190bhp is a recognised as the safe limit for the OEM KO3 turbo with only a remap.Companies like APR are,IMO, full of sales hype.The amount of power increase for an individual car can only be verified on a dyno.If you want to overspin and drastically reduce the life of the turbo,go for a "200bhp" upgrade.Small turbos,like the KO3,require high boost pressures to move sufficient air to produce the claimed extra power and torque.This in turn produces high heat levels in the inlet tract which has the effect of reducing power!Many of the 200bhp claims from tuners require that you dont push the car for extended periods,otherwise heat buildup will have a negative effect.If you take the car on a track,you will notice that it will become slower as the laps increase.The ECU is compesating for excessive heat buildup.

would it help if u were running nitrous?
1971 Porsche 911T | 1990 Audi Quattro Turbo | 2003 Audi RS6 Avant | 2009 Renault Megane R26

hitmanGTI

nitrous expands twice as fast as air or something along those lines increasing compression of some sort?

cao

Quote from: urq20v on December 22, 2005, 08:41:51 PM
185-190bhp is a recognised as the safe limit for the OEM KO3 turbo with only a remap.

What other modifications would raise the safe limit beside a new turbo (intake?, IC?,Sports Exhaust?)

hitmanGTI

Quote from: cao on January 14, 2006, 05:17:37 PM
What other modifications would raise the safe limit beside a new turbo (intake?, IC?,Sports Exhaust?)

With turbos being so cheap these days.. who wants to be safe...

Any one on vask that knows me well enough.. knows i would definatly be down for overboosting the 1.8t  ;D

beeker

Quote from: HitmanGTI on January 14, 2006, 06:08:55 PM
With turbos being so cheap these days.. who wants to be safe...

haha !

maybe for 2nd hand subee turbo's, but not for audi KKK units.

14 RS6 Avant Black
23 RS6 Performance avant on order
17 Q7 S Line 200kw
93 E36 M3 Targa Car
01 Porsche Boxster Series Race Car
17 Porsche 991.2 GT3 clubsport
94 DC2 Integra Targa/Track Race Car
13 TR86 race car
2018 Highlander
2017 Outback

Audidude

No mention so far of Oettinger. http://www.oettinger.com/index2_e.htm

EMD used to supply and promote MTM as dealer ECU upgrades. I had one in my first S3. That car had a very peaky torque curve with a real kick once the lag was over. Hard to drive the car smoothly.

After about 9 months the engine developed a noise like piston slap and drink oil. Eventually after much tooing and froing and being told that 1000mls oil consumption per 1000kms was normal(!), they decided to fit a new short block - everything below the head gasket. Car off road for 8 weeks. CCS did the job and stripped a turbo housing bolt resulting in a leak soon after I got the car back. After spitting the dummy i was traded on very favourable terms into my current BAM 225 S3.

EMD very secretive about what was wrong with the engine - told me engine was within tolerances but changed short block as noise was "abnormal" - yeah right!

Couldn't resist chipping again (!). By this time EMD had changed from MTM to Oettinger as dealer upgrades. Through the grapevine I heard this was because there had been too many warranty issues with the MTM ones.

The MTM apprently used signifificant early overboost to give the performance kick which made their chips feel exciting.

The Oettinger OTOH mimics the shape of the standard  curve, only at higher numbers. It is a much smoother chip to drive feeling exactly like standard only with much more torque and power, and seems to be less breathless at the top than the MTM was - i.e. MTM quicker lower down but Oettinger ran out better at top.

MTM: 250HP 350NM (early peak)
Oettinger: 250HP 370NM (flat)

My current S3 has had no engine issues and has superb power delivery apart from that achilles heel of the highly boosted 1.8T - turbo lag.

Interestingly the track times at Taupo for both cars was identical.

Cheers
'90 Audi ur quattro 20v Tornado Red
'15 VW Amarok Highline 4Motion auto
'99 BMW M5 E39 (For Sale, see TM)
'96 Honda Integra Type R DC2 JDM K20A - Circuit race car
'96 Honda Integra Type R DC2 JDM, Championship White
'15 Renault Megane 265 RS, Capsicum Red
'03 Porsche 911 996.2 C2, Black, full leather interior

Turbo

Quote from: Audidude on January 15, 2006, 08:15:38 AM
By this time EMD had changed from MTM to Oettinger as dealer upgrades.

have they gone back to MTM are they just passing off oettingger as MTM cos they're more well known?
2000 S4, MTM stage 1, Oettinger RE's, Bilstein Sports, Vogtland springs, H&R Swaybars, DBA 4000 rotors, EBC Yellow stuff pads, 710N DV's, F1 tints, RS4 clutch

Audidude

Quote from: Turbo NotLo on January 15, 2006, 01:43:07 PM
have they gone back to MTM are they just passing off oettingger as MTM cos they're more well known?

Can't imagine any official supplier (such as EMD) supplying a product without correct description. Neither would MTM or Oettinger tolerate that.

If you can still source MTM from EMD they must have changed back or supply both.

Cheers
'90 Audi ur quattro 20v Tornado Red
'15 VW Amarok Highline 4Motion auto
'99 BMW M5 E39 (For Sale, see TM)
'96 Honda Integra Type R DC2 JDM K20A - Circuit race car
'96 Honda Integra Type R DC2 JDM, Championship White
'15 Renault Megane 265 RS, Capsicum Red
'03 Porsche 911 996.2 C2, Black, full leather interior

Turbo

Quote from: Audidude on January 15, 2006, 02:13:54 PM
Can't imagine any official supplier (such as EMD) supplying a product without correct description. Neither would MTM or Oettinger tolerate that.

If you can still source MTM from EMD they must have changed back or supply both.

Cheers

didn't think so.
they must have gone back.  S3NZ got quoted for an MTM chip, but cos you said they're using oettinger now i asked the question.
2000 S4, MTM stage 1, Oettinger RE's, Bilstein Sports, Vogtland springs, H&R Swaybars, DBA 4000 rotors, EBC Yellow stuff pads, 710N DV's, F1 tints, RS4 clutch

RS ZWEI

The white demo Mk5 GTI at CCS has a chip I do believe.
1980 VW Golf GTI Track Car
1995 Audi RS2
2003 Mini Cooper S (Written off - rear ended)
2005 Mini Cooper S
2006 Skoda Octavia vRS Combi
2009 Renault Megane 230 R26 (Written off - rear ended)
2013 Renault Megane RS265 Redbull RB8