Well, looks like i've got myself an S4.

Started by Turbo, September 24, 2005, 08:05:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RS ZWEI

Quote from: Turbo SquatLo on October 03, 2005, 02:56:07 PM
It's arrived!

yay.

I was looking through the service history and apparently it's been chipped. 225kw upgrade.
the guy i bought it off thought it was standard.

but on the down side, the display in the instrument cluster is poked. doesn't display out side temp or mileage etc. and when it does show stuff like doors open etc there are a few dead pixels.? not a big issue really, but bit of a sh'itter.
anyone have an idea how much a cluster would cost?

oh, it drives real nice.

Maybe have a look on ebay?
1980 VW Golf GTI Track Car
1995 Audi RS2
2003 Mini Cooper S (Written off - rear ended)
2005 Mini Cooper S
2006 Skoda Octavia vRS Combi
2009 Renault Megane 230 R26 (Written off - rear ended)
2013 Renault Megane RS265 Redbull RB8

Dubious

Quote from: Turbo SquatLo on October 03, 2005, 02:56:07 PM

but on the down side, the display in the instrument cluster is poked. doesn't display out side temp or mileage etc.

So you can't scroll through the different displays by using the up and down arrows on the end of the right stalk?
15 8V S3 APR Stage 1

Turbo

Quote from: Dubious on October 03, 2005, 03:35:06 PM
So you can't scroll through the different displays by using the up and down arrows on the end of the right stalk?

doesn't show anything. although i haven't tried scrolling. only the warnings etc show on start up and the pixels look scrambled, some are just dead..

i had the speed warning thing come up, it just looks like a really low resolution version of itself.
2000 S4, MTM stage 1, Oettinger RE's, Bilstein Sports, Vogtland springs, H&R Swaybars, DBA 4000 rotors, EBC Yellow stuff pads, 710N DV's, F1 tints, RS4 clutch

RS ZWEI

1995 Audi RS2
2005 Mini Cooper S

Turbo

Quote from: Golfboy666GTI on October 04, 2005, 05:49:37 PM
How are you enjoying the S4?

it's really nice.

feels smoother and more solid than the a4, but funnily enough the a4 feels quicker... i say "feels" cos when i look at the speedo i'm actually going quite a bit faster than the a4, so i'll have to be even more careful around :police:

one thing i'd have to say is the reception from the stereo is crap. can only get ZM and george it just skips past every other station.
is it possible to amplify the reception? i did it for my a4, but was an after market stereo, the s4 has the bose package, so am unsure if it's possible.
but i'm happy listening to the engine for the time being, sounds mean.
2000 S4, MTM stage 1, Oettinger RE's, Bilstein Sports, Vogtland springs, H&R Swaybars, DBA 4000 rotors, EBC Yellow stuff pads, 710N DV's, F1 tints, RS4 clutch

beeker

Quote from: Turbo NotLo on October 04, 2005, 06:30:35 PM
it's really nice.

feels smoother and more solid than the a4, but funnily enough the a4 feels quicker... i say "feels" cos when i look at the speedo i'm actually going quite a bit faster than the a4, so i'll have to be even more careful around :police:

one thing i'd have to say is the reception from the stereo is crap. can only get ZM and george it just skips past every other station.
is it possible to amplify the reception? i did it for my a4, but was an after market stereo, the s4 has the bose package, so am unsure if it's possible.
but i'm happy listening to the engine for the time being, sounds mean.

I cant say i have that problem with my 2001 bose system.
14 RS6 Avant Black
23 RS6 Performance avant on order
17 Q7 S Line 200kw
93 E36 M3 Targa Car
01 Porsche Boxster Series Race Car
17 Porsche 991.2 GT3 clubsport
94 DC2 Integra Targa/Track Race Car
13 TR86 race car
2018 Highlander
2017 Outback

Turbo

Quote from: beeker on October 04, 2005, 06:52:23 PM
I cant say i have that problem with my 2001 bose system.

funny story, well, not really ... it's working better now, helps if you read the instructions.
i had some function switched on that would only tune in stations with traffic reports or something.

i'll probably ask some more stupid questions in the future as i fiddle around with all the toys.

oh yeah, here's one ... why are there those little red lamps in light console behind the rearvision mirror?

RS ZWEI

Quote from: Turbo NotLo on October 05, 2005, 10:08:46 AM
funny story, well, not really ... it's working better now, helps if you read the instructions.
i had some function switched on that would only tune in stations with traffic reports or something.

i'll probably ask some more stupid questions in the future as i fiddle around with all the toys.

oh yeah, here's one ... why are there those little red lamps in light console behind the rearvision mirror?

Was it your RDS that was turned on you Radio?

The red lights in the rearvision mirror maybe sensors to ajust the mirror at night time if a car is following you. Basicly its to stop glare, I maybe wrong but thats what it sounds like to me.
1995 Audi RS2
2005 Mini Cooper S

Dubious

Quote from: Golfboy666GTI on October 05, 2005, 10:17:38 AM
The red lights in the rearvision mirror maybe sensors to ajust the mirror at night time if a car is following you. Basicly its to stop glare, I maybe wrong but thats what it sounds like to me.

I thought they were so that it gave a better view of the dashboard at night time. The BMW also had those, but orange.
15 8V S3 APR Stage 1

Turbo

Quote from: Golfboy666GTI on October 05, 2005, 10:17:38 AM
Was it your RDS that was turned on you Radio?

it was the "TP" button. i forget what it stands for, but basically just monitors radio networks for traffic bulletins, it'll interrupt what ever you're listening to and switch to the bulletin.

Turbo

Quote from: Dubious on October 05, 2005, 10:37:17 AM
I thought they were so that it gave a better view of the dashboard at night time. The BMW also had those, but orange.

dunno, they're weird cos they're not that bright (red light on a black dash doesn't really do much)  i only noticed them when i went to adjust the mirror and my hand had two red beams on it. they seem to angle to the top of the dash, so maybe you're right, but i can't really see any benefit in it.

hitmanGTI

The purpose of those are actually to benefit sight..

the Amber/Red Ambient light allows for eyes to adjust faster in dark environments..scientifically provn

all Ocean Vessels that have charts or plentiful Instruments to read at night usally have a amber/red lighting for the cockpit/wheel house of the

Turbo

Quote from: hitmanGTI on October 06, 2005, 07:01:14 AM
The purpose of those are actually to benefit site..

the Amber/Red Ambient light allows for eyes to adjust faster in dark environments..scientifically provn

fancy.