Where Do i Start

Started by rayza, September 25, 2005, 09:40:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rayza

I am starting to do some research and would like a few tips
I have my heart set on a A4 1.8t  now my budget is between 10 and 15k so i assume i would be looking at a 96, i have time on my side and will wait another 18 months to find the right car , what sort of things are the weakest points on the cars? whats the main difference between the 96 and 97 models? are there any other model sub series in the a4S? 

beeker

Get a NZ new car if you can. Off memory they did have a Sport model, but i think this only hard lower/harder suspension (which is probably due for a refresh anyway) + 16" "sports" wheels. MTM chip would be nice, but of course this would have worn the engine slightly more as well. Just get a well maintained, straight, NZ new car.

FYI, friend recently sold his 96 Avant, reasonable condiiton, 140k, for $12k. Most would say this was $2k under what it should have been.

14 RS6 Avant Black
23 RS6 Performance avant on order
17 Q7 S Line 200kw
93 E36 M3 Targa Car
01 Porsche Boxster Series Race Car
17 Porsche 991.2 GT3 clubsport
94 DC2 Integra Targa/Track Race Car
13 TR86 race car
2018 Highlander
2017 Outback

rayza

all right been looking around a few places and only found one A4 1.8tq is any one able to give me the details on what changes in the models for say 94? through to 99

beeker

Quote from: rayza on October 12, 2005, 10:30:13 PM
all right been looking around a few places and only found one A4 1.8tq is any one able to give me the details on what changes in the models for say 94? through to 99

The A4 came out in ~95 (maybe late 95 in europe), and finished up in late 2001. The major change was in late ~1999 with a facelift. Key obvious indicators for the facelift are: Centre control panel is different, and boot looses the key lock for the remote lock. Audi always introduces smaller changes progressively, so the newer the year, the more "fixes" it gets.

If you can get a facelift, do it. If you cant, then just get the tidiest looking, most well maintain car you can. Mileage is important, but condition and service history is even more important in my mind. Try really hard to get a NZ new car, and not an import. If an import, go Jap, not HK or Signapore. The HK and Sigapore humidity exposure gives you electrical reliability problems.

Good luck !
14 RS6 Avant Black
23 RS6 Performance avant on order
17 Q7 S Line 200kw
93 E36 M3 Targa Car
01 Porsche Boxster Series Race Car
17 Porsche 991.2 GT3 clubsport
94 DC2 Integra Targa/Track Race Car
13 TR86 race car
2018 Highlander
2017 Outback

John Stone

A certain Audi Service Manager in Auckland made an offhand comment once about the high repair rate on the steering rack which is a prick of a thing to get out.

John
86 WR
04 A3
05 V50T5

taupoq

one other thing to bear in mind is that the Audi year code starts around October so a late 96 will in fact be the 97 year model check the www.vagparts.com website for an explanation of the chassis number. From my experience the car has had many "minor changes" each year but as beeker stated no major changes until mid 99. My first A4 was in the uk in the form of a 1995 1.8 SE. I would personally go for a late 99 car as the price isn't much higher for a private sale.

Never had problems with the steering rack but have had two steering pumps fail (one on my UK car - complete failure, and one on my current car - leaking seals) both apparently caused by the wrong fluid being used. Audi and most people in the know strongly recommend that you only use the VAG oil.

Rear diff seals can be a bit weak but are relatively cheap to fix (approx $200 - 400).

Don't buy one without an Audi service history and don't believe the crap that some dealers will give you about imports not coming with them. In my experience this normally means that the importer has something to hide and has hence lost them.

I've had my December 96 A4 TQ for two years and still very happy with it.