Differences between an Audi 100 and an Audi 200?

Started by RS ZWEI, November 24, 2009, 08:08:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RS ZWEI

Can someone tell me whats different between an Audi 100 and an Audi 200?
1980 VW Golf GTI Track Car
1995 Audi RS2
2003 Mini Cooper S (Written off - rear ended)
2005 Mini Cooper S
2006 Skoda Octavia vRS Combi
2009 Renault Megane 230 R26 (Written off - rear ended)
2013 Renault Megane RS265 Redbull RB8

Mike1410

ok, so what do you need to know?.

Although similar in appearance, the 200 was conceived as the flagship of the range and was an attempt to appeal to customers who may have been considering the purchase of a Mercedes S class or BMW 7 series and for whom the 100 model was simply not luxurious enough. As such, the 200 always had the larger engine and highest trim levels.

Series 1 200's (Type 43 - 1979 to 1982) were available as either the 200 5E (5 cylinder 100kw petrol) or 200 5T (5 cylinder 125kw turbocharged) in both saloon or Avant (5 dr hatchback) bodystyles. In either case, they were most easily distinguished from the lesser 100's by their lights. Two pairs of 2 square headlamps, with the front direction indicators being mouinted in the bumper next to the foglights - as oppossed to the 100's single pair of larger headlamps with indicators mounted alongside (ie at the leading edge of the wings).

When the Type 44 Audi 100 was announced in 1983, the Type 44 Audi 200 was similarly updated. Type 44 Audi 200's were available from 1984 to 1989, whilst the 100 lived on to 1991. Again most easily distinguished from the lesser 100 by it's larger rear lights (a continous reflective panel across the rear surrounding the number plate), revised front grill and a single pair of headlamps but this ones which are much wider and narrower than the 100's. Front indicators are again housed in the bumper, not on the wing edge, and the bumper itself incorporates a front air dam which gives the 200 a more streamlined appearance than the 100.

The series 2 Audi 200 was available as in auto or manual, as saloon or estate (Avant), with or without a turbo (the 100 was only offerred as turbo from 1988 on, after production of the 200 ceased) and with or without the quattro drivetrain. Engine was initially the 2145cc  5 cylinder but was later upped to 2226cc.

Although most body panels and interior trim is interchangeable between Type 44 100's and 200's, mechanically there are many many small differences - few 100 mechanical parts will fit a 200 (I speak from personal experience, having owned my 1988 type 44 Audi 200 turbo auto (non-quattro) saloon for 12 years - only selling it last year when I emigrated here) and all 200 parts have been NLA from Audi for many years now.

You quite often see 200 look-a-likeys (ie 100's with white instead of orange indicators but still mounted next to the headlamps at the front edge of the wing) but if you look closely you can easily spot them as fakes!

wilco

Excellent Mike, see there you go push_button mate, you have a classic '89 in CHP. The last year, 140kw 2B donk and all the class you want.

Pushbutton_auto

Beating up parking wardens ain't a crime.

BB

The main difference is the 100 unless in great condition is not worth owning any more.
  The 200 if in good nick is worth owning just but has massive difficulty in being kept on the road legally.
The 200 has a different bonnet as well as the side trims etc, almost all the 200s are turbo.

They are a fab car the 200s but have the running cost of an URQ with none of the value.
I love mine but it also drives me crazy, there is always so much to do on it and the parts are so hard to get and prices are so high.
The end is nigh, but the end of what is the question?

Mike1410

Now there I  have to diasagree with you  :)

Type 44 200's use exactly the same body panels as Type 44 100's - in the case of the bonnet, the part number quoted by Audi for both cars is identical at 447 823 029F. It is possible that the rubber seals along the front edge of the bonnet are slightly different, as the headlights/grilles differ on both cars, but all the metalwork is identical.

The very last batch of 200's produced (1990-1992), was the 200 20V quattro with the 162kw 3B engine. This did have differrent wings to the earlier 200's (the 3B had flared arches at the front & larger, more rounded ones at rear). This model was never sold in the UK, instead we got the Audi V8. Outside of mainland europe and the USA, I don't know in which other countries (if any) the 200 20V quattro was sold. Are there any in NZ?.

Whilst the URquattro may be a more collectable and in your face performance car, and as such carry a higher second hand value, the 200 is definately a more practical car for daily use. It was never intended to be an alternative to an URquattro, rather an alternative to a BMW 7 series or Mercedes S class.

As for running costs, my non-quattro 200 Turbo auto with the 2B non-catalysed engine would return between 27 and 30 mpg - not sure what you can expect in terms of fuel consumption from an URquattro.

Spinner

BB

Yes bonnet is different.
Fuel consumption was good until you drove them at full tit down the autobahn and then it suffered badly. The bigger engined NA BMWs and mercs were better.
The end is nigh, but the end of what is the question?

GlenT

Quote from: Mike1410 on December 06, 2009, 11:43:18 PM

As for running costs, my non-quattro 200 Turbo auto with the 2B non-catalysed engine would return between 27 and 30 mpg - not sure what you can expect in terms of fuel consumption from an URquattro.
Typically 22mpg at 100mph.
I have heard that 30mpg is achievable when driven with a very light foot.
I usually get around 24mpg combined. But it's been a while since I last calculated.
Might take her up to Chch next weekend so will check then.

Mike1410

Quote from: GlenT on December 08, 2009, 09:41:03 AM
Typically 22mpg at 100mph.
I have heard that 30mpg is achievable when driven with a very light foot.
I usually get around 24mpg combined. But it's been a while since I last calculated.
Might take her up to Chch next weekend so will check then.

In 12 years of owning the car, I never got below 25mpg - and I don't think I have a particularly light right foot  :)
For many years (old driving instructors habit from the days of unreliable BSM Mini Metro fuel gauges) I have had the habit of zeroing the trip recorder every fill up and then checking the mileage against litres taken at next fill up -I don't rely on the car's mpg computer.

About 75% of the time it was being driven on UK motorways and A roads where our speed limit is either 60 or 70 mph - you don't often get roads quiet enough to do 100mph for very long in the UK.

However, the quattro mechanicals add more weight to the car over the 2wd version, perhaps that's why there is a difference?.

Pushbutton_auto

Yeah always had great fuel mileage from the 100-200s.

Beating up parking wardens ain't a crime.