Odometer probs on mk2

Started by likegolf88, January 10, 2005, 12:05:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

likegolf88

The other day i came across this beaut white 16v mk2, i had a bit of a nosey at the odometer and it was reading 102k or something. Long story short, the owner reckons it just stopped on him "a couple of years back"!?. ( if this is true then the car is a steal for $1800)

Is it an accurate statement to say most odometer probs are pricy to fix?

robh

does the speedo work?  if not maybe it's just a simple cable snapped issue?
Daily Driver - VW Touareg V8 TDI 2012 "towing beast"
Too Many Cars - Lotus Elise S 2013 "tangerine dream"
Project Car - Golf VR6 Turbo "built not bought"
Wifes - Audi S4 Avant 2012 "I want a white car that sounds nice"

orggti

the little gear that drives the odometer is probly cracked and wont drive the numbers it will cost 100 dollars if you take speedo out and take to the guy by the gas station up newton gully. sounds like a good buy tho he may have done 80 thousan miles in the last two years who knows? if its tidy and goes well, buy it.

bsting

Even if its on 200ks for $1800 its still not bad price.
Prob interior is poked - sunroof ? leaks ?

likegolf88

Quote from: robh on January 10, 2005, 02:06:01 PM
does the speedo work?? if not maybe it's just a simple cable snapped issue?
No it doesnt.... this sounds promising, thanks for the help rob

likegolf88

Quote from: BSTING on January 10, 2005, 04:42:49 PM
Even if its on 200ks for $1800 its still not bad price.
Prob interior is poked - sunroof ? leaks ?

It's a white 4 dr 87' with no sunroof, full leather interior, door cards etc (drivers seat bit rough as usual), Power windows (mostly working, needs TLC), power steering, exterior needs a clean, new tyres, very cool mags (14' or 15's) This car is very nice, when i got inside it only faintly smelt damp and he told me he had not been in it for a while, so it wasnt aired out..... It is possible the gearbox or linkage is bung, but it may only be "character" who knows....

The cars on the shore and i'd love to take it somewhere to have a look at it but as it's got no warrant it might be difficult. Only the most forgiving? :police: wouldn't fine me for africa if i was pulled over right?

orggti

make sure that damp smell isint coolant leaking out of the heater core. Id like to go look at this car with you some time if you want it does sound promiscing, however if its been Deregestered its only worth $500 max if it drives real good.

robh

be careful, if it's deregistered you won't be able to register it because it doesn't comply with frontal impact rules, unless you wait until 2007 when it will be 20 years old and then you'll be ok.

rambo_005

Unless it has previously been registered in NZ??

robh

not sure, maybe your right? just check it out before you buy.

orggti

Rambo is correct if its been regestered in NZ before it dosent need to have impact frontal thingy even if it gets dereged its only for new overseas imports.

Rossi

If the dampness is due to heater core leaking its a long but not overly difficult job to replace it, you have to take the whole dash out.  A linkage bush kit did wonders for the gear change in my old 16v, cheap and easy fix (If its only the linkage... :-\)
2001 S4 Avant.
Corrado 16v - BR Motorsport ported KR 1.8l head with 284deg schrick cams, 9A 2.0l block, Milltek headers, K&N filter, 40mm lowered on PI springs/Boge shocks + VR6 strut mounts, front poly bushes, 280mm G60 front discs, 16" Porsche replica mags.

likegolf88

Quote from: Rossi on January 19, 2005, 01:01:10 PM
If the dampness is due to heater core leaking its a long but not overly difficult job to replace it, you have to take the whole dash out.? A linkage bush kit did wonders for the gear change in my old 16v, cheap and easy fix (If its only the linkage... :-\)

thanks guys, after i purchased my mk2 i bought a linkage kit for it, the guy installed for me but it made very little difference (except for the lighter wallet.....) maybe it just needs a slight alteration i dont know. I dont think its the gearbox so thats good.

dubstar

There's a partial kit and a full kit.  The partial kit will only solve part of the problem.  You could also go for a short shifter and weighted rod, which made a huge difference in my car.
"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying."

likegolf88

Is it very hard to install? im a green enthusiast so....maybe an out of 5 rating?, will it be in a haynes manual?
Thanks

dubstar

Short shift kit is a 1.5 out of 5 for difficulty. i.e. really easy.
"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying."

likegolf88

Nice? ;D, sounds good, but by continuing to take this thread off topic ;),did you import your's?, i understand the prices vary, is the quality worth the price? or is there cheaper/ better places to import from.

http://www.neuspeed.com/products/product_details.asp?app=22|G2&type=3&ltype=ns_euro&p_id=501

http://www.neuspeed.com/products/product_details.asp?app=22|G2&type=3&ltype=ns_euro&p_id=461

Period_Correct_

that short shift kit, makes alot of difference...
1971 Porsche 911T | 1990 Audi Quattro Turbo | 2003 Audi RS6 Avant | 2009 Renault Megane R26

likegolf88

Quote from: NasTnaS on March 01, 2005, 12:09:16 AM
that short shift kit, makes alot of difference...

cool but does it have to be neuspeed?.... is your's?

dubstar

Mine is a missing linkz kit.  Cheap, but good.