Driven: Golf V 2.0L GTI MTM

Started by customcar, September 29, 2005, 12:42:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

customcar

Drove Golf V GTI today that had MTM 180kw ECU upgrade, not bad.? Car still a little docile at lower revs which makes it easy to drive in traffic.? Get the revs up and it's party time, ran out of road just as your heading into afternoon tea material at the local police station.
Interesting that it didn't really have that whoosh turbo noise but more of a cam sound untill the engine hit peak revs.
If you are in Auckland check it out at CCS, it's the white one. ;D? ? ?

Dubious

15 8V S3 APR Stage 1

timmay

Quote from: Dubious on September 29, 2005, 12:58:47 PM
Nice? 8)

What Kw are they standard?

The Golf V GTi is nearly 150Kw standard
2001 Porsche Boxster S: Meridian Silver| De-Ambered | De-Snorkled Intake
2003 VW Golf R32 | 2009 BMW Z4 sDrive35i | 2007 BMW 130i SE MSport | 1999 Honda S2000 | 2003 Mazda RX8 Type-S | 2000 VW Golf GTi | 1998 Mazda MX5 RS

dubstar

I didn't realise that MTM were doing the tuning for VW.  I thought oettinger were still the official VW aftermarket suppliers?
"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying."

customcar

EMD here in NZ seem to make it up as they go along.  One day its MTM the next day its Ottinger!.  Official tuning partner to VW and Audi in europe is ABT as they run the DTM team and service the Bettle and Lupo Cup cars.  For example if you kit your car out with ABT gear in the UK its still under VAG dealer warranty, except for some of the engine mods.
You would think EMD here would use ABT as its already a factory partner?.

dubstar

EMD aren't the greatest at making decisions.  Best example been the decision NOT to bring in 3door GTI's. (Obviously the guy making the decision is a product of the NCEA system)

Back to the original post.  Have a look at the jump in torque that the basic MTM upgrade makes:

http://www.mtm-online.de/en/vw_kit_GOLF5147_MGO5200245FX.html
"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying."

customcar

Thanks for the link.  MTM rate the torque at 355nm which is around 75nm gain over O.E, good gain.  Driving on the road the torque curve feels quite flat, there's not the punch like you get from the modified Mark IV's.  Its almost like big engined normal aspirated power.  Have had a quirt in Mark IV 2wd Golf running around 170-180kw, its a loony car to be in and it really gives you a kick in the you know what!. Has a K04 with lots of other mods.
Modified Golf V 2.0L TDI is also an interesting car as it has 120kw and 380nm at 2000 rpm.  Pulls in any gear and makes the DSG feel alot more positive.  Around town and in the city its great fun, especially when your using about 7l per 100km.     

TC-80

Quote from: dubstar on October 05, 2005, 11:38:06 AM
EMD aren't the greatest at making decisions.? Best example been the decision NOT to bring in 3door GTI's. (Obviously the guy making the decision is a product of the NCEA system)

Back to the original post.? Have a look at the jump in torque that the basic MTM upgrade makes:

http://www.mtm-online.de/en/vw_kit_GOLF5147_MGO5200245FX.html

Both MTM and Oettinger are being used locally, depending on model/engine in question.  Consistent supply and support usually proves to be the problem.

They only brought in the 5-door GTI because 95% of NZers will only buy a 5-door car, and a 3-door (such as Mk IV R32) is hard to sell used.  This is despite the 3-door GTI looking so much better!

bsting

I dont understand the "logic" of EMD at all, mk3 Golf and Polo was available in NZ new in both 3 and 5 door options.
As far as i know they ALL sold.

My mum bought a Polo 1.6L 3door 5spd new in 1995, delivery took 3 days.
Let the market decide i reckon.

dubstar

EMD have completely missed the boat in their promotion of the new GTI.  They had 2 prime audiences that they could have sold the car to.

1)  I've been told that in the 80's the GTI was 'the car'.  The car the boss had, the car all the young interns and execs drowled over.  25 years later all those young interns are now looking for their own executive car.  Why didn't EMD run along this line and use the connection with the old Mk1????  Most of these executives are also going through a mid-life crisis and the kids have grown up and left home so they are looking for something sporty.  The 5door GTI is not sporty enough!!

2)  There is now a whole bunch of young Kiwis who were into the boy racer scene and who are now looking for something refined, but with that "young rascal" racer look.  EMD could have pitched all the different options/ body kits/ performance enhancements at this market and I'm sure it would have worked.

Basicly EMD should have been selling the GTI as a sports model, not a remuera mum car!!!

EMD YOU STUFFED UP!!!!

RS ZWEI

Quote from: dubstar on October 10, 2005, 08:32:06 AM
EMD have completely missed the boat in their promotion of the new GTI.? They had 2 prime audiences that they could have sold the car to.

1)? I've been told that in the 80's the GTI was 'the car'.? The car the boss had, the car all the young interns and execs drowled over.? 25 years later all those young interns are now looking for their own executive car.? Why didn't EMD run along this line and use the connection with the old Mk1????? Most of these executives are also going through a mid-life crisis and the kids have grown up and left home so they are looking for something sporty.? The 5door GTI is not sporty enough!!

2)? There is now a whole bunch of young Kiwis who were into the boy racer scene and who are now looking for something refined, but with that "young rascal" racer look.? EMD could have pitched all the different options/ body kits/ performance enhancements at this market and I'm sure it would have worked.

Basicly EMD should have been selling the GTI as a sports model, not a remuera mum car!!!

EMD YOU STUFFED UP!!!!

Roger that!

Im 27, if I was in a position to get a brand new company car and I was offered the funds Id get a 3 door Mk5 GTI.
1980 VW Golf GTI Track Car
1995 Audi RS2
2003 Mini Cooper S (Written off - rear ended)
2005 Mini Cooper S
2006 Skoda Octavia vRS Combi
2009 Renault Megane 230 R26 (Written off - rear ended)
2013 Renault Megane RS265 Redbull RB8

TC-80

...or save some money, buy a used Ur quattro and do this up instead!

bsting

Ex 3door RHD country imports will be highly sought after, a gap (more like a void) in the market perhaps?

Give it a couple of months....

faslam

I agree with Dubstar....I was looking to buy a Renault Megane 225 just because I had previously owned a Renault Clio Sport...it wasn't until my aunty convinced me to drive the new Golf GTI that I realised what an awesome car it was...after doing hours of research I ordered one and am now waiting on my car to arrive (description posted as 'My VW Golf GTI' on this forum) , its been on order since July.

VW definitely needs far more advertising and public awareness of the Golf Gti especially to my market as I'm a 25 year old working professional and I had no clue as to how much better the new GTI was over the old. If my aunty hadn't convinced me to drive the Golf I would probably be driving around a far less impressive Renault.

Period_Correct_

the mid engined renault on Top Gear, was MAD, Real MAD...

from what the Golf was, and to what is is now, are two different things.... BOTTOM line is, golf GTi should be a 3 door!
1971 Porsche 911T | 1990 Audi Quattro Turbo | 2003 Audi RS6 Avant | 2009 Renault Megane R26

Simon MkII

Damnit, all this talk about mk5 gti's really makes me wana test drive one.
Bastards  :-\
Mazda Mx5

xring

Test drive one, but be ready to start robbing banks or something. Because once driven, you will do almost anything to get one. As for 2/4 door. Well I looked at buying a used R32, but didn't BECAUSE it was a two door. I bought a Mk V GTI instead because it is a four door. You may be young and single now, but wait a few years when you maybe have young kids ..... two doors do not work.
Polo GTI 2013
Bora MkIV V6 4motion - gone
Golf MkIV R32 - gone
Golf MkV GTI DSG - gone
Golf MkIV V6 4motion - gone
Golf MkIV V5 manual - gone
Golf MkV GTI manual- gone
Golf MkIV V5 - gone
Golf MkIII GLI - gone

Period_Correct_

well the least they could of done was give us the option of choosing between 5 and 3 door!
1971 Porsche 911T | 1990 Audi Quattro Turbo | 2003 Audi RS6 Avant | 2009 Renault Megane R26

rambo_005

Quote from: NasTnaS on October 13, 2005, 09:16:21 PM
well the least they could of done was give us the option of choosing between 5 and 3 door!

Reckon