1994 A6 Wagon 230kms...Stay away?

Started by samboralot, December 23, 2009, 10:31:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

samboralot

Hi There All!

Im looking at an 1994 A6 wagon, which has had regular service history and seems to be in good condition. Is this definitely one to stay away from? I've heard conflicting reports from Audi owners, some who say 'they last forever' and some who say 'no way'. Any thoughts?

Cheers

vag_nutter

Is it auto? If so dont expect the trans to last for ever but apart from that they are really reliable

HandsomeDan

My old boss had a 1993(?) A6 sedan that had done just over 325k when I lsat saw it...was still running like a relatively young second hand car. He'd never had any major issues as far as I knew.
1998 Mk III Golf,
1992 B4 Audi 80
2007 Toyota RAV4
2000 Mazda SP20 AWD (JDM Mazdaspeed Edition)
1996 Toyota Starlet - daily hack
2003 Opel Zafira GSi 2.2
2007 Volvo XC70

GlenT

Ah, the old C4 chassis.
Nothing wrong with 230k's. Just means you'll need to really look over the car before purchasing.
The tranny will be the weakest link. I take it that it's probably a 2.4 or 2.8 V6?
Make sure all the electrics work well too. Windows, air con etc etc.

typ53

I've got a 2.8l '93 100 Quattro with 245ks and it goes well.  If it's and auto car I would check to see if the radiator has been replaced.  The transmission oil cooler is integral with the main radiator and they are notorious for failing with coolant in the trans fluid and/or trans fluid in your coolant as a result. My car has had an external transmission radiator fitted as a result of this.

The auto boxes are fine so long as they have been looked after, but it would pay to have the transmission flushed and the filter replaced if it hasn't been done.
The Fleet:
Orange Roughy:'90 16v Corrado
'89 Carrera 4. 
'12 330d Touring
Still trying to figure out how to get 'em all to fit in a single garage....

samboralot

Wow thanks for all the responses!
Yes it is an auto...2.8. The advice is greatly appreciated.  ;D
Out of interest, for arguments sake...if the trans was to crap out how much would I be looking at to fix it?
Thanks again

Andy_007

I recently brought a A6 2.6 avant auto with 225kms with decent service history, I wished i had stayed away, blew head gasket after 2 months and 3k kms, have been quoted $1.2k+ to replace both sides. As for the cost of the full recon on the auto is approx $2k.
2007 Audii A4 Quattro 3.0TDI

VW Imposter

We have a C5 A6 lying around here with 250,000 and she pulls like a pack of elephants still. Electronics have a few monkeys in them and a few bits are getting pretty worn (check engine mounts, and front suspension components) but we still love it, and it still looks dam sharp for age and value, cheaper than a Yaris and I still get 'he's too young to be driving that' looks when it's all clean. Corolla for the wallet, Audi/VW for the heart.

quattro90

Hey, ive been driving our 1996 A6 quattro avant around with 245,000kms! It is a real pleasure to drive, trans is a bit slow to shift but it runs mint. Just replaced front arms, shocks all round, brakes all round, new plugs and oil/filters etc. drives like a new car, amazing on the open road.

naudi1

I have a 1995 A6 quattro 2.8 v6 just clocked up 360,000 ks and still drives great, has a few issues ie fan turns on and off at will. Its an auto. I get around 550 ks per tank of fuel around town driving 24 ks each way to work each day, and I will never get rid of it, still drives better than most other cars I have driven with less mileage, even better than my daughters A3.