My VW Golf GTI

Started by faslam, October 09, 2005, 03:26:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dubious

I would go with thr R32. Chances are numbers will be fewer than the GTi, plus in a few years there will be a flood of used GTi imports coming in, pushing down resale value.
15 8V S3 APR Stage 1

DidHaveACorrado

I'd go for an RS32. The GTI will end up looking like just another GTI in a years time.

RS32 has much better retail value long term.

Turbo

the R32 has the X factor.

i don't really know what that means, exactly, but it's good.
2000 S4, MTM stage 1, Oettinger RE's, Bilstein Sports, Vogtland springs, H&R Swaybars, DBA 4000 rotors, EBC Yellow stuff pads, 710N DV's, F1 tints, RS4 clutch

1.8t

I feel that that light blue isnt a very nice colour for the new r32, i havnt seen any other colours so maybe wait and see what it looks like in red or maybe black?
Dudlee the 86 318i
Past.. 95 328i M Coupe, 97 Pug 306, 97 Vento

bsting

GTI with a proper 6 speed manual. Not the flappy paddle thing.

Period_Correct_

1971 Porsche 911T | 1990 Audi Quattro Turbo | 2003 Audi RS6 Avant | 2009 Renault Megane R26

faslam

Interesting that 'CAR' magazine did a comparison between GTI & R32 and gave it to the GTI. Also the GTI was just voted Fairfax AMI Car of th Year.

Can this car possibly win anymore awards???

I have decided to stick with the GTI which looks as if though it may have been the right decision.

xring

I have just sold my Golf V GTI (buying a house), so am fully aware of just how good they are. But I would seriously consider a V R32 when finances allow. The GTI is developing 100 bhp (73.5 kw) per litre. Getting close to what is practical for normal everyday use. The R32 is "only" developing 79 bhp (58 kw) per litre giving reasonable room for upgrades while still being practical. An R32 with twin turbos appeals to me. Yes the GTI is an amazing car, and selling mine was one of the hardest things I have had to do in a long time, even harder that leaving my wife, but the R32 has more development potential. Try boosting the 2 wheel drive Golf and you will start to strike control problems. The R32's all wheel drive alleviates that problem very nicely. R32 with 300 plus bhp......
Polo GTI 2013
Bora MkIV V6 4motion - gone
Golf MkIV R32 - gone
Golf MkV GTI DSG - gone
Golf MkIV V6 4motion - gone
Golf MkIV V5 manual - gone
Golf MkV GTI manual- gone
Golf MkIV V5 - gone
Golf MkIII GLI - gone

Salty

Have you heard those V6s.. eye watering full noise >> R32 for me please.
Now in air cooled. '70 fastback 1835 turbo
2012 VW Golf Gti MKVI
2013 Triumph Street triple R

Period_Correct_

Quote from: saltyboarder on December 21, 2005, 01:53:59 PM
Have you heard those V6s.. eye watering full noise >> R32 for me please.

have you heard it with a amd chip, shrick cams,cold air intake and full milltek system?
1971 Porsche 911T | 1990 Audi Quattro Turbo | 2003 Audi RS6 Avant | 2009 Renault Megane R26

Simon MkII

Saw an R32 in the workshop the other day. Looks a bit fugly. Too OTT for my taste. I'll take the looks of the GTI with the engine and running gear of the R32  ;D
Mazda Mx5

faslam

I took the R32 out for a drive last week, great car with the engine one of the best sounding I've heard. The reason I took it out was to see if for a couple thousand more I should upgrade to an R32. After taking it for a test drive and then parking it next to the GTI I had to say no. My main reasoning behind this was as an overall package I don't think the R32 compares, what I mean by this is I took into account performance, handling and looks. First of all in the performance stakes the R32 was quick but it didn't feel light years quicker than the GTI and I'm guessing once my GTI is chipped with 180kw against 184kw and 355Nm from 1850rpm compared to 320Nm at 5500 rpm plus the 150-200kg weight saving in the GTI that the GTI would be right on par. In terms of handling the R32 was very good but a little dull where as the GTI was crisp and had more feedback. Finally the looks, well when I parked the 2 cars next to each other I can say without a doubt that the GTI absolutely blows the R32 out of the water front on (R32 looks like a Passat as it dosen't even have fog lights) and side on but from the back the R32 takes the looks stake. Even the R32 wheels are toned down not like the agressive OZ wheels in the last model. My car will have an aftermarket kit and 18 inch GTI wheels so overall looks have to go the GTI way. They just need to make the car a little more agressive in my books....for the sort of money they are asking I would want the R32 to look more like the MK4 version!

Anyway after a 7 month wait I can finally pick up my new car today, I'll see if I can post some pictures once I have the kit fitted next week.

cao

Quote from: GTI - WGTN on January 10, 2006, 08:32:12 AM
Anyway after a 7 month wait I can finally pick up my new car today, I'll see if I can post some pictures once I have the kit fitted next week.

I'm so jealous  ;D

veedubtom

I really like the MK5 GTI these days, will look mean with that kit on it

faslam

Will post pictures next week.

1.8t

Ive discovered a non GTI 2.0 mk5 in my street, its silver with all the options, the 17s and a nice wee factory kit with weird little wheel arch extensions.

It looks really nice compared to the standard mk5, but your GTI will be hoter!

Just found out a mate has put a deposit down on a mk5 GTI DSG and leather, he is only 19, its madness i say.

Well really im just jellous!
Dudlee the 86 318i
Past.. 95 328i M Coupe, 97 Pug 306, 97 Vento

hitmanGTI

Quote from: 1.8t on January 12, 2006, 10:00:49 PM
Ive discovered a non GTI 2.0 mk5 in my street, its silver with all the options, the 17s and a nice wee factory kit with weird little wheel arch extensions.

It looks really nice compared to the standard mk5, but your GTI will be hoter!

Just found out a mate has put a deposit down on a mk5 GTI DSG and leather, he is only 19, its madness i say.

Well really im just jellous!

Which mate??
Tony chen??

veedubtom

Turbo

Quote from: GTI - WGTN on January 10, 2006, 08:32:12 AM
Finally the looks, well when I parked the 2 cars next to each other I can say without a doubt that the GTI absolutely blows the R32 out of the water front on and side on but from the back the R32 takes the looks stake.

but won't most people be looking at the back?  ;)
2000 S4, MTM stage 1, Oettinger RE's, Bilstein Sports, Vogtland springs, H&R Swaybars, DBA 4000 rotors, EBC Yellow stuff pads, 710N DV's, F1 tints, RS4 clutch

faslam

I've had my GTI for two weeks and today returned it to upgrade to an R32, will make a choice next week on spec but will definitely get Recaro seat upgrade, what are people opinions on colour?