Greetings all,

Started by xring, October 13, 2005, 11:44:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xring

Have just joined VASK. My current car is a 2005 Golf V GTI in Shadow Blue. INCREDIBLE CAR. Previously I have had a Mk IV V5 and a MkIII 2 litre. Unfortunately I am having to sell the GTI due to marriage breakup. Considering a 2nd hand Polo GTI or a Mk IV Golf. Any comments. Anyone interested in buying my GTI?
Polo GTI 2013
Bora MkIV V6 4motion - gone
Golf MkIV R32 - gone
Golf MkV GTI DSG - gone
Golf MkIV V6 4motion - gone
Golf MkIV V5 manual - gone
Golf MkV GTI manual- gone
Golf MkIV V5 - gone
Golf MkIII GLI - gone

RS ZWEI

Quote from: xring on October 13, 2005, 11:44:12 AM
Have just joined VASK. My current car is a 2005 Golf V GTI in Shadow Blue. INCREDIBLE CAR. Previously I have had a Mk IV V5 and a MkIII 2 litre. Unfortunately I am having to sell the GTI due to marriage breakup. Considering a 2nd hand Polo GTI or a Mk IV Golf. Any comments. Anyone interested in buying my GTI?

Welcome to the forum. Shame about having to sell you Mk5 GTI. Im saving for a house at the mo so a new car isnt high on my list.
Still it would be nice if you could give us the spec of it, kms, opitions, is it a manuall or DSG etc . . .
1980 VW Golf GTI Track Car
1995 Audi RS2
2003 Mini Cooper S (Written off - rear ended)
2005 Mini Cooper S
2006 Skoda Octavia vRS Combi
2009 Renault Megane 230 R26 (Written off - rear ended)
2013 Renault Megane RS265 Redbull RB8

xring

I decided to keep it as simple as possible. So it's on 17's, with 6spd manual and cloth interior. Having read a few more recent articles from overseas, I am even more convinced it was the right decision. A test in South Africa with manual and DSG side by side at a drag strip, and the manual was faster every time. Perhaps VW have "fiddled" the acceleration times because they want to push the DSG. After my V5 Tipo, I decided to stick with manual this time, because the Tipo (and DSG) will still overide if you are pulling high revs ie. holding a gear between corners.
Have also read that the 17's actually handle better that the 18's, and they have a better ride. As for cloth seats .... love leather, but not on a hot day with car parked in the sun ..... ouch.
It is just coming up to 8,000k's.
I could keep the car despite marriage breakup, but it is the car or buy a house.
Polo GTI 2013
Golf MkIV R32 - gone
Golf MkV GTI DSG - gone
Golf MkIV V5 - gone
Golf MkIII GLI - gone

Period_Correct_

Quote from: xring on October 13, 2005, 12:30:13 PM
the car or buy a house.

like DUH, go for the car dude! [sarcasm emoticon]
1971 Porsche 911T | 1990 Audi Quattro Turbo | 2003 Audi RS6 Avant | 2009 Renault Megane R26

faslam

Where abouts are you based?

xring

I'm in Wellington. Believe me, I would love to keep the car, but I have a daughter to think of as well. This is the most incredible car I have ever owned. I looked at getting a used R32, but decided to wait for the Mk V GTI, and I am pleased I did. This car does everything. If I keep on like this, I will convince myself to keep it .
Polo GTI 2013
Golf MkIV R32 - gone
Golf MkV GTI DSG - gone
Golf MkIV V5 - gone
Golf MkIII GLI - gone

RS ZWEI

Quote from: xring on October 13, 2005, 11:44:12 AM
Unfortunately I am having to sell the GTI due to marriage breakup. Considering a 2nd hand Polo GTI or a Mk IV Golf. Any comments.

If I was you Id look into getting a Skoda RS if your going to sell the GTI that you maybe a 2nd hand S3 if you have funds.
1980 VW Golf GTI Track Car
1995 Audi RS2
2003 Mini Cooper S (Written off - rear ended)
2005 Mini Cooper S
2006 Skoda Octavia vRS Combi
2009 Renault Megane 230 R26 (Written off - rear ended)
2013 Renault Megane RS265 Redbull RB8

xring

Limited funds ($15k-$18k) so that I have deposit for house. Hence thoughts of Polo GTI.
Polo GTI 2013
Golf MkIV R32 - gone
Golf MkV GTI DSG - gone
Golf MkIV V5 - gone
Golf MkIII GLI - gone

TC-80

Quote from: xring on October 13, 2005, 12:30:13 PM
I decided to keep it as simple as possible. So it's on 17's, with 6spd manual and cloth interior. Having read a few more recent articles from overseas, I am even more convinced it was the right decision. A test in South Africa with manual and DSG side by side at a drag strip, and the manual was faster every time. Perhaps VW have "fiddled" the acceleration times because they want to push the DSG. After my V5 Tipo, I decided to stick with manual this time, because the Tipo (and DSG) will still overide if you are pulling high revs ie. holding a gear between corners.
Have also read that the 17's actually handle better that the 18's, and they have a better ride. As for cloth seats .... love leather, but not on a hot day with car parked in the sun ..... ouch.
It is just coming up to 8,000k's.
I could keep the car despite marriage breakup, but it is the car or buy a house.

You're right: the 18" wheels look the bizzo, but the 17"s ride better and handle just as well.  The DSG is only faster in acceleration due to the shorter shift times.

I think you've got the best car - standard, manual gearbox...!

xring

In the manual, you can of course build up the revs befroe letting out the clutch. My understanding is that the DSG will only hold on the brakes for a short time before it will overide and drop the revs. Therefore hard to build up revs before take-off
Polo GTI 2013
Golf MkIV R32 - gone
Golf MkV GTI DSG - gone
Golf MkIV V5 - gone
Golf MkIII GLI - gone