Soon to be Audi Owner, hopefully....

Started by zactommo, February 24, 2010, 03:28:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zactommo

I am hoping, in the next 2 months of so to be the owner of my first decent car (my previous cars have been old and cheap)

I've sort of got my mind set on an audi A4 Wagon, and my financial situation means I?m looking in the Mid-late 90's models; my budget is in the 6-8k sort of range.

I really love the Audi styling. I can have a nice looking car without looking like those idiot boy-racers that Christchurch is full of. I've also heard great things about Audi?s handling and comfort.

I have been doing a lot of reading online and such about Audi?s and they only issue I have is that some people tend to suggest that Audi?s can be a bit unreliable, and I could end up spending a heck of a lot of money keeping it on the road.

So I think the best thing to do, is ask you who have owned these cars yourself, in New Zealand, and drive them on NZ roads. Are Audi?s reliable on NZ road? Will owning an Audi empty my pockets and make the mechanic rich?

I'm not under any illusions about owning cars. Breaking down, and repairs and maintenance are to be expected, but are Audi?s any worse, or better, than say the jap cars, or the other European models?

Thanks in advanced for your input!

djrisk

Hate to be a doomsayer, but if you are only spending between $6-8k then your Audi will need some tlc and some maintenance. They arent anymore unreliable as any other brand but repairs and parts generally cost more than your average jap car. $10k+ will get you a nice Audi wagon.
Him - Amarok highline
Her - S3 8P

zactommo

Your not being a doomsayer, this is the stuff I need to know.
This is a couple of the type of cars i've been looking at:
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Cars/Audi/A4/auction-273892486.htm
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Cars/Audi/A4/auction-274320826.htm
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Cars/Audi/A4/auction-273283169.htm

So in terms of KM's, they seem to be in the 100-150,000km range for that sort of price.
I wouldn't call that high k's (my current car is sitting at 255)

So what sort of problems could I expect from a car like those?
Stuff like CV's, water pump, cambelt (if it hasn't been done) is what i'd expect from a car of that age.

Is there other things, that you audi owners would expect that i'll probably have to do with a car of that age?

HandsomeDan

You might be up for suspension, the auto gearbox could be a thing to look at with moderate to high km's and there are numerous little faults to be aware of - much like if you were buying any other car, really.

I think it's a misnomer that Audi's are unreliable. Read the European forums and they are touted as one of the more reliable brands...just don't get a Merc or an Alfa...
1998 Mk III Golf,
1992 B4 Audi 80
2007 Toyota RAV4
2000 Mazda SP20 AWD (JDM Mazdaspeed Edition)
1996 Toyota Starlet - daily hack
2003 Opel Zafira GSi 2.2
2007 Volvo XC70

choppy16v

when shopping for a car it is almost as important to look for the right sellers, as it is to look for the right car.

5-pot

The Audi motors are quite solid if you maintain them well.  Regular oil changes, etc, as with all other cars really.

The cambelt can be pricey sitting at $1200-$1800 as this includes the water pump, thermostat, labour so ideally, you want that done.

I've not heard of an A4 gearbox failing even at 200000 klicks but they are supposedly sealed for life units or something like that.  although, I had the oil in dad's A4 gearbox replaced and it's shifting good now.

the one thing about A4's is the front control arms sometimes need replacing often.  It's only happened to a few cars that I can recall.  There was also a recall on control arms by Audi NZ where they replaced them under warranty so, might pay to check for that kind of work in the last two or three years.

The only other things that have gone wrong in our car is the ignition switch failing, hazard/indicator relay failing, and the immobilizer sensor playing up.  That's about it really.

Hope you find a goodie!
?The bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it.? - Thucydides (Ancient Greek historian and author, 460-404bc)

- 1990 Coupe quattro - R.I.P.
- 1988 90 quattro project... Sold
- 2005 Golf 2.0 TDI

slowmo

some things to look out for in A4's:

- control arms
- tie rod ends
- cv boots
- heater core

there are now a lot of aftermarket support for audi's in NZ so it pays to shop around for parts and mechanics to service your car.

i was unlucky that i found this forum after i had my first audi, but this forum has been great with putting me in contact with the right people and properly diagnosing problems.
Current: 2004 MK4 R32 3-door NZ New DBP

Past: 2010 MK6 GTI / 2013 Nissan Leaf LOL / 2007 B7 RS4 / 2006 MK5 R32 / 2005 MK5 GTI / 1998 MK4 GTI / 1997 B5 A4 MTM

Turbo

the auto 1.8's will probably have lived an unstressed life, but they are pretty sedate - so you''l be getting comfort but it won't demonstrate the better handling you've been told about.
the 1.8t's are a bit keener and with minimal mods you can have a car that will give put a smile on your face each time you drive.
2000 S4, MTM stage 1, Oettinger RE's, Bilstein Sports, Vogtland springs, H&R Swaybars, DBA 4000 rotors, EBC Yellow stuff pads, 710N DV's, F1 tints, RS4 clutch

zactommo

A 1.8T would be nice, but I'm only 20, so I'd hate to think what a turbo would do to my insurance costs.

I'm not exactly looking for a racing machine, just a good looking, comfortable car, that will be practical for my work needs. Thats how I arrived choosing an audi: wondering styling, far better than the jap cars, well known for it comfort, and a station-wagon is a must have for my work.

slowmo

the a4 in 1.8t wagon is pretty hard to find, consider the 2.4 quattro?

Past: 2010 MK6 GTI / 2013 Nissan Leaf LOL / 2007 B7 RS4 / 2006 MK5 R32 / 2005 MK5 GTI / 1998 MK4 GTI / 1997 B5 A4 MTM

HandsomeDan

To be honest there's not a lot wrong with the bog standard 2.0 Avant, if you can find one.

Not the fastest car aroud, not the torquiest, but certainly would tick the boxes from the perspective of the man on the lookout...
1998 Mk III Golf,
1992 B4 Audi 80
2007 Toyota RAV4
2003 Opel Zafira GSi 2.2
2007 Volvo XC70

HaNs

Quote from: jasoncordelle on March 01, 2010, 02:50:38 PM
To be honest there's not a lot wrong with the bog standard 2.0 Avant, if you can find one.

B6...?

Honestly go for a golf mk4 wagon, iv had both the B5 A4 wagon and the Mk4 golf wagon and the golf is miles better.

B5's are tractors..

slowmo

his range is 6-8k, which somewhat limits what he can get.

as stated earlier, it will be tough looking for a good audi at that price range.

5-pot

?The bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it.? - Thucydides (Ancient Greek historian and author, 460-404bc)

- 1990 Coupe quattro - R.I.P.
- 1988 90 quattro project... Sold
- 2005 Golf 2.0 TDI

vag_nutter

Quote from: slowmo on March 01, 2010, 03:40:38 PM

as stated earlier, it will be tough looking for a good audi at that price range.

Plenty of 1.8t quattros and v6 quattros at that price

djrisk

Him - Amarok highline
Her - S3 8P

zactommo

Quote from: slowmo on March 01, 2010, 03:40:38 PM

I quick count up in my trademe watchlist shows 7 1.8 A4's in my specified price range. No turbos though

Quote from: HaNs on March 01, 2010, 03:05:18 PM
B6...?

Honestly go for a golf mk4 wagon, iv had both the B5 A4 wagon and the Mk4 golf wagon and the golf is miles better.

B5's are tractors..

When I get enough spare time, I will get out and test drive one for my self, but like I said before, i'm not looking for a hardcore speed machine. My old 81 Mazada famila, now that was a real tractor.

I had a look at a couple of the Golfs, and to be honest, the looks didn't exactly wow me the way the audi did. I could see my dad driving a golf though.

From a pratical perspective, a 2.4 or 2.8 is going to cost me a lot more in running costs, and insurance costs (since the lovely insurance folks assume i'm a d*#khead boyracer because i'm under 25) so, thats why I'm leaning towards the 1.8

But really, I can't decide untill i've actually driven a 1.8 for myself, so I can guage the performance based on my needs.

HaNs

zactommo

Quote from: HaNs on March 02, 2010, 10:20:22 AM
What wow's you about the audi's?

I'm not sure exactly. Something about the design just seems to catch my attention. If I was going the VW way, i'd probably prefer the Passant over the Golf, based on looks, since thats what were talking about here. The passant is nice, but it doesn't quiet have what the audi does.

Just to be clear, I don't pick my cars purely based on looks; that would just be plain stupid.

HandsomeDan

Quote from: zactommo on March 02, 2010, 02:22:17 PM
I'm not sure exactly. Something about the design just seems to catch my attention. If I was going the VW way, i'd probably prefer the Passant over the Golf, based on looks, since thats what were talking about here. The passant is nice, but it doesn't quiet have what the audi does.

Just to be clear, I don't pick my cars purely based on looks; that would just be plain stupid.
THere's been plenty of people here that have exercised the plain stupidity... ;D
1998 Mk III Golf,
1992 B4 Audi 80
2007 Toyota RAV4
2003 Opel Zafira GSi 2.2
2007 Volvo XC70