Allroad Diesel

Started by vaudiw, March 02, 2010, 03:02:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vaudiw

Hi all,

I am looking at buying a 01 Diesel Allroad. Unfortunately the cars in Dunedin and I am in Auckland so I can't drive it. But for those that have experience with them can you tell me what you think of them. Do they have enough grunt to haul it around adequately?

Not expecting sports car performance but its a big car plus add 2 midsize kids, 2 adults and a trailer so want to ensure its going to still move along ok.

Having read the overseas forums I have picked up the problem areas of air suspension failures and they also warn of Transmission failures, but this is on the 2.7ts. Hopefully the diesel don't suffer this given the reduced power output. Any other majors to watch for?

The reason I am looking at diesels is both economy and reduced service costs (my perception, so may not be realstic). I own a 2.7T S4 so know how thirsty that is and the Allroad is a fair bit heavier again so it must really drink the juice with the same engine.

Thanks for any advice.

wilco

Reduced power output is a fallacy with diesels.  The Kw might be down but they'll kick any contemporary petrol ass in Nm.  That's what will break a trans, and given they're designed as a unit it should be fine.
I've known 2 instances now where injection pump components have failed.  More informed people can give details but I'd suggest they are no more or less reliable than any modern car.

RS4

What he said about the torque, they go actually really well.
We can do a remap on them and gain 23% power or do the economy tune and get 17% and fuel savings of up to 20%!
Audi RS4 450 BHP, Milltek, intake, remapped (sold)
VW Edition 30, 307 BHP remap. Manual. (sold)
Audi S6 V10, Milltek , Audi A4 B8 (sold)
VW Golf MK6 Gti, Black
Skoda Octavia vRS TDi, Blue, Coilovers, Mapped, 19's SOLD
Audi B7 A4 3.0 TDi , Mapped, more to follow

John Stone

Quote from: wilco on March 02, 2010, 05:31:36 PM
I've known 2 instances now where injection pump components have failed.  More informed people can give details but I'd suggest they are no more or less reliable than any modern car.
The injection pump issue became a real pain in the butt when Marsden Point converted to the lower sulpher content diesel - it killed my SRDT Pug, not economical to repair so sold on as a (very good) parts car.
By now most of the cars with pump issues should have been sorted.

John
86 WR
04 A3
05 V50T5

106_racecar

I too have been considering a Allroad TDI as the Outback is so thirsty particularly when towing a boat.  Has any had any experience towing with the Allroad and can comment on the relevant impact to fuel consumption.
2007 Golf GTI

Angle

Neighbor's have one and tow a small caravan. No comment on fuel consumption, so I suggest a nominal impact. Plenty of grunt.

mark2 golf

why a all road over a a6. i would not buy one. we have had two in at work with suspension issues in the last month. both the petrol and diesel go really well. the diesel engine is very noise.
89 mk2 1.8t
97 mk3 gti 1.8t
90 190e 2.6
17 Amarok v6
09 golf gti

vaudiw

I've been looking for A6's as well as Allroads. A6 avants are scarce in a decent spec.

I like the look of the Allroad over the A6 though.

For the Allroad it appears the achilles heal is the suspension, other than that it is an A6.

1.8t

I much prefer the Allroad over the A6 Avant.

Drove a tdi a few years ago back to back with a 2.7t and while the tdi was slower it wasnt as much as I was expecting. Farily grunty those tdis.

Can you replace the suspension with a more usual set up like what can be done with the RS6? or does the extra height cause issues here?
Dudlee the 86 318i
Past.. 95 328i M Coupe, 97 Pug 306, 97 Vento

HaNs

The 4.2L V8 A6's haul arse! Fantastic cars, do about 12-13L per 100km. The eat up hills  >:D :police:

SteveC

my cousin happily tows his big Tristram (7m?) with a 2.7T petrol allroad, to the extent that when he got his V8 allroad and passed the earlier model on to his wife, he decided not to put a towbar on the V8