VR6 Exhaust

Started by RS ZWEI, January 10, 2005, 09:23:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RS ZWEI

Ive been playing round under my VR6 and have been looking at the exhaust, why does it need 3 mufflers and a CAT?

I was thinking, what would it sound like if I removed this muffler and replaced it with just pipe?
( red is the front, flowing to green and the rear)

[attachment deleted by admin]
1980 VW Golf GTI Track Car
1995 Audi RS2
2003 Mini Cooper S (Written off - rear ended)
2005 Mini Cooper S
2006 Skoda Octavia vRS Combi
2009 Renault Megane 230 R26 (Written off - rear ended)
2013 Renault Megane RS265 Redbull RB8

cy

after market time!!!
clear the throat, its killing ur VR6

MRVR6

I heard that you can take out the "suitcase" that is the middle muffler and it will be already good enough.

MRVR6

what is it sounds like?

GLIDN

Yeah man, no sweeter sound then a vr6 with exhaust and or air intake done. Oh yes other then running turbo vr6 or super charged vr6. If in doubt, get a vr6 exhaust system, of the shelf, good place to start is having a look is www.c3cars.com.

Almost any part for the vr or just search on google.
Audi A4 DTM - K04 NZ New | All bolt-ons | Carbon Clean done
2012 MK6R Golf |Stage 3+ | Stage 4 DSG | Tuned & Built by HSP Tuning

MRVR6

I believe one of the member use miltek. Is that import or bought locally?

swayv6

I had my "heavy" suitcase removed by Pit Stop and replaced with a resonator (tube with baffles - no angles), then found the exhaust to be a bit boomy at 2,000 - 2,500 revs. So I got them to custom make tip baffles... using two chrome extention tips each had pnched hole rolled steel inserts....and this reduced the boom. To finish off I placed rubber insulation mats in the boot base under the carpet (inc spare wheel area). Now I have a sweet sounding VR6 that is not too loud at the boomy rev range. Note that you do lose a little low end torque (below 2,500) but if you fit a K&N (or similar) air filter and remove the air restriction cone (in air box) you get the torgue back, and more - plus some nice low end grunt noise from the airbox.
Can tell you more if you wish...

RS ZWEI

Quote from: swayv6 on January 27, 2005, 02:59:07 PM
I had my "heavy" suitcase removed by Pit Stop and replaced with a resonator (tube with baffles - no angles), then found the exhaust to be a bit boomy at 2,000 - 2,500 revs. So I got them to custom make tip baffles... using two chrome extention tips each had pnched hole rolled steel inserts....and this reduced the boom. To finish off I placed rubber insulation mats in the boot base under the carpet (inc spare wheel area). Now I have a sweet sounding VR6 that is not too loud at the boomy rev range. Note that you do lose a little low end torque (below 2,500) but if you fit a K&N (or similar) air filter and remove the air restriction cone (in air box) you get the torgue back, and more - plus some nice low end grunt noise from the airbox.

Tell me more!
Is the air restriction cone you are on about in the top half of the airbox? If that is what you mean, how did you take it out? Ive tryed but cant get it. Is this it?

How about posting pics in the members ride section of your car?

[attachment deleted by admin]
1995 Audi RS2
2005 Mini Cooper S

Mike

Yep, that is the pipe. Did the same to mine and rounded off the edges. I can't remember exactly how it came out, but it wasn't too involved - might have had some kind of lug that you need to push in to release it fromthe air box.

Dub_luver

hey guys, i took my cat off, cleaned her out,meaning taken out all the allluminiun an the inside and put it back on. i reckon thats a huge restriction to the car aswell, honoustly i couldnt even see through it, and the cars got a more grunty sound to, i still got my suicase though but removed my lil resonator.

RS ZWEI

Does anyone have any idea why VW would have added the air restriction cone? Would it be a tuned length? or maybe to keep it a liitle quieter?
1995 Audi RS2
2005 Mini Cooper S

MRVR6

Quote from: Golfboy666GTI on January 27, 2005, 05:10:04 PM

Tell me more!
Is the air restriction cone you are on about in the top half of the airbox? If that is what you mean, how did you take it out? Ive tryed but cant get it. Is this it?

There's a website explaining different way to do it. basically, you forced it out. Crude way:
1. prepare your muscle.
2. Use some screwdriver+oil/grease and forced it out.
warning: It is "BRUTAL WAY". certainly there's a better way to do it, using some clam of some sort. I try to find the website for you.

MRVR6

Quote from: Golfboy666GTI on January 28, 2005, 08:32:21 AM
Does anyone have any idea why VW would have added the air restriction cone? Would it be a tuned length? or maybe to keep it a liitle quieter?
My friend told me that the cone is there to make it quieter. If you beleive him. Cause i guess all car have it.

RS ZWEI

Quote from: MRVR6 on January 28, 2005, 08:44:01 AM
Quote from: Golfboy666GTI on January 27, 2005, 05:10:04 PM

Tell me more!

There's a website explaining different way to do it. basically, you forced it out. Crude way:
1. prepare your muscle.
2. Use some screwdriver+oil/grease and forced it out.
warning: It is "BRUTAL WAY". certainly there's a better way to do it, using some clam of some sort. I try to find the website for you.

Cool, thanks.
1995 Audi RS2
2005 Mini Cooper S

orggti

Ok if anybody wants to remove there cat. DONT. Take it to a exhaust and get them to do it. They wont do it as there supposed to but they can get the cancer, whatever you do dont get in there with a screwdriver and break all the honey comb out yourself,PARTICULARLY if its all blocked up, Its VERY toxic. They are supposed to remove them and place them straight onto a containor of water and leave them there. Well thats what i got told.
Also everything you do to your exhaust that takes it away from origonal will make it louder, boomyer, and pollute more(cat removed), its as simple as that. Some like a loud boomey exhaust and you do get HP improvement so why not as long as you can still get a WOF. Costs money tho, and time and opens you up for disapointment through bad workmanship and it not being as you really wanted it. However if you are going to do it go milteck from Rex as ive seen what they make and it fits just like that and is excellent quality.