How to Unlock rear doors? - dead battery

Started by volcanoblack, April 10, 2010, 10:00:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

volcanoblack

Anyone know how to unlock the rear doors of a 1994 S4 that has a dead battery?

There is no jumper lug in the engine compartment since this is a NZ right hand drive car.

I have unlocked the front doors with a key but can not unlock the rears. The rear door interior lock can not be pulled up.

Anyone know a solution - I have the rear seat loaded with lots of big stuff that would be really difficult to get out through the front seats and door. So getting to the battery under the rear seat is a task I would prefer to make easier (with the rear doors unlocked).

Quick answer please.

Thanks.

OOOO

I've just had a play with mine. Open the door from the inside by pulling the rear door handle once to raise the knob and a second time to open the door...assuming there is enough room with the gear stored in the back to get to the handle.
2014 Audi A8 4.2TDI
2013 VW Golf 2.0TDI
2009 Audi A3 quattro

volcanoblack

Quote from: OOOO on April 10, 2010, 10:17:14 AM
I've just had a play with mine. Open the door from the inside by pulling the rear door handle once to raise the knob and a second time to open the door...assuming there is enough room with the gear stored in the back to get to the handle.

Nope - my battery is totally flat - so nothing happens when I pull the inside rear door lever.

Anything else?

OOOO

Should be a mechanical thing so not sure why won't work with flat battery.
2014 Audi A8 4.2TDI
2013 VW Golf 2.0TDI
2009 Audi A3 quattro

nordschleife

Quote from: OOOO on April 10, 2010, 10:36:28 AM

Kiddie locks on?
VW Golf GTI - Track Car
VW Golf GTI - Road Car
BMW ///M5 - Previous Car and looking for another - F10 LCI
Octavia vRS Combi - Wife's Car
VW Golf R32 - Sold

volcanoblack

Quote from: OOOO on April 10, 2010, 10:36:28 AM

Apparently not mechanical with Central Locking - I have pulled up on the interior locks hard - with no results. Must be connected to a solenoid that is activated when you pull up a bit since so far this does not unlock the door.

Also - not kiddie locks (door should always open from outside even when set) - and this lever is inside the rear door (which I can not open). User manual says this is set when the door locks are up - which is the problem.

Anyone else - this is a real catch-22.

Simon MkII

Does it use vaccum central locking like older golfs? You could try getting to the pump, pullling off one of the hoses and sucking on it. Or if you have another source of vaccum use that.
Mazda Mx5

kiwihigh

BUILT not bought

volcanoblack

Quote from: kiwi on April 10, 2010, 12:16:23 PM
Borrow a battery... or jump it...

Uh, that was the whole point of the question, to get to the battery/connections under the rear seat to use one of those.

portmanteau

This is all that's inside the door..... it locks pretty much identical to the inside rear on an A4 that I was working on a few minutes ago

If kiddy-locks are not on then yes, it should definitely open from the inside - either they are on, or something is broken in there

Vacuum pump is also under the seat (from memory) so I would have to agree that all you can probably do is find a point to access the vacuum line and blow (not suck, I think - you need to push the actuator out)!

'94 S2 Avant N300 Nothelle, '94 S2 Sedan '84 urq,'80 Golf GTI replica, '83 Rocco GTI, '99 TT, '07 Q7, '99 S4 Avant, '86 90Q, '63 DKW Junior, other non-VAG collectibles, & 2 lonely 200Q

kiwihigh

Quote from: volcanoblack on April 10, 2010, 01:41:44 PM
Uh, that was the whole point of the question, to get to the battery/connections under the rear seat to use one of those.

Didn't realise ya battery was under the seat... that sux huh...  ;D
BUILT not bought

Pristle

For about $70, you can get an emergency charger from Supercheap that plug into the cig lighter. I think it's one that plugs it in for 15 minutes or so and provides enough charge to turn the motor.

OOOO

Still can't figure this one out. I looked at Vagcat and came across the same pic as Portmanteau has posted above. I disconnected my battery and the doors open fine from the inside. It felt very mechanical in its operation. It may be the kiddie lock.
2014 Audi A8 4.2TDI
2013 VW Golf 2.0TDI
2009 Audi A3 quattro

deedub

If its much like a golf you can probably open the front door, Find the vacuum line which goes to the front door at the door hinge, and pull it out (assuming its easy to put back in like it is in a golf). Then you should be able to pull up on the door lock pin, because you won't be working against a vacuum. Hopefully the front door is on the same line as the back (like a golf).
1983 T25 Microbus - keep forever, never finish
1988 mk2 Golf 2L 16v - work in progress

qta4

Easy as, just get another battery, connect negative to earth, and connect positive to starter motor, or alternator, then just unlock.
Skill is, sucessfully tightrope walking across the Niagra Falls.
Intelligence is, having the sense not to do it.

user2154

Quote from: volcanoblack on April 10, 2010, 10:49:39 AM
Apparently not mechanical with Central Locking - I have pulled up on the interior locks hard - with no results. Must be connected to a solenoid that is activated when you pull up a bit since so far this does not unlock the door.

Also - not kiddie locks (door should always open from outside even when set) - and this lever is inside the rear door (which I can not open). User manual says this is set when the door locks are up - which is the problem.

Anyone else - this is a real catch-22.

I can only lock / unlock mine by hand if the central locking has not been activated.

volcanoblack

Thanks all for your input - I ended up taking everything out of the back seat through the front seats/doors and raising the rear seat cushion enough to get a jumper battery connected to start the car.

Soon as the car was running the front door button to unlock the doors worked and I unlocked the rear doors. I think the last comment is accurate - if the central locking is used, then the rear door locks can not be opened by hand or any other method when the battery is completely flat aside from going into the vacuum system (under the rear seat too and which would be pointless once the seat was out and access to the battery available).

Cheers

qta4

Quote from: qta4 on April 11, 2010, 12:09:55 PM
Easy as, just get another battery, connect negative to earth, and connect positive to starter motor, or alternator, then just unlock.

And why didnt you just do what i suggested??????
Skill is, sucessfully tightrope walking across the Niagra Falls.
Intelligence is, having the sense not to do it.

typ53

I can confirm your theory - the rear doors won't open without a battery or releasing the vacuum.  Good thing you can still reach in from the front.  I've had to remove/replace the battery through the front on mine too amidst much swearing and cursing.

Of course Noel's idea makes good sense too once you think about it...

The Fleet:
Orange Roughy:'90 16v Corrado
'89 Carrera 4. 
'12 330d Touring
Still trying to figure out how to get 'em all to fit in a single garage....

Angle

Long jumper leads sound like the solution .... and maybe a monkey.