Wear on camshaft, Normal??

Started by Andy_007, April 14, 2010, 02:31:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy_007

I have recently started pulling my motor to bits in my Audi A6 to the replace head gaskets, When i pulled the covers, i noticed a bit of wear on the camshaft lobes, seems to be only on one corner and is on all 12. Is this normal? and should i be worried about it ?. The motor is at 235 km and is the 2.6 V6. I have attached a pic
2007 Audii A4 Quattro 3.0TDI

vaudiw

I have read that this can be a problem with the RS4 2.7 v6. I don't know if these engines are related at all, but maybe worth search on www.RS246.com

qta4

I personallywould not be bothered at that at all.

Looks pretty good IMO, the car has doe some K's, just dont worry about it.
Skill is, sucessfully tightrope walking across the Niagra Falls.
Intelligence is, having the sense not to do it.

BB

Quote from: qta4 on April 14, 2010, 07:48:17 PM
I personallywould not be bothered at that at all.

Looks pretty good IMO, the car has doe some K's, just dont worry about it.

+1
The end is nigh, but the end of what is the question?

Andy_007

Thanks for the help guys, Thats one less thing to worry about, Its a pretty horrible job but i cant justify the $2-2.5k to get someone to do it. When i take the heads to get resurfaced what else should i get done to the heads, and can anyone recomend a machine shop in auckland to have this done? Thanks     

BB

Auckland engine Reconditioner. in Pollen st Ponsonby.
Do you have the tool to do the cambelt or will you just leave the sprockets on?

Andy_007

Thanks, I think ill just leave them on unless theres a need to remove them, I do however need to get the cam locking bar and crank locking thing. So far all the intake manifolds etc have been removed and im half way though removing the exhaust manifolds.

BB

If you don't remove the sprockets you can do the timing without the bar, just mark the positions with a white pen and make sure they match perfectly.
To use the bar correctly you have to crack the sprockets.
You only really need to remove the sprockets if you are going to do the oil seals.

Andy_007

I think i would want to have the proper tools just to be on the safe side, i havent really done work on engines before, apart from the usual oil, air filter, spark plug changes. Is it worth doing the oil seals?, in the 9,000kms i have driven this car ive only added oil once, maybe 50-100 ml. Also i have been thinking about doing the piston rings at the same time, i just dont know if it would be worthwhile

BB

Well you are undertaking a pretty bigish job if this is your first head swap job.
If you use the proper tool you pretty much are wasting your time with it if you don't crack the sprockets. That's what the tool is all about.
Do you have the tools? The bar and the lock pin?
Why do the rings if its only ever used 100ml of oil ??? In fact why are you doIng the head gaskets? is it over heating and using water?
if its been blowing no smoke and using no oil then just fit the gaskets, only skim the heads if they are warped use a straight edge and just clean em up fit gasets and put it bak together with a new water pump as they have a plastic impellor that breaks up. Ask for a metal impellor replacement.
DO do the water pump!

Andy_007

No i dont have the tools yet, from what i have read pretty much everyone says to use the proper tools.

I was thinking about doing the rings as a preventive maintance well i had the heads off. But i think ill leave it , the car is quite up in kms and the body has seen better days 

At first there was combustion gases getting into the cooling system, forcing coolant out of the coolant tank, until the coolant warning light comes on. But the last two times i started it there was heaps of white smoke and it was running rough and the oil was brown milkshake like. 

BB

You will spend a fortune on rings for an old nail. The rings are pretty good on vag stuff anyway.
So where are you going to get a bar from? I'm not sue you understand the process of what the bar and loosening the sprockets does?
If you don't loosen the sprockets, which you say you won't do then you don't need the bar so why try and find one?

wilco

If you engine is doing all that it'd be easier and a lot cheaper I suspect to source a good order 2.6 V6 second hand.  There's a few about - oh hold on I have 2 spares  ;D
Seriously though unless you're committed get a replacement.  Plenty around.