3A Audi engine... engine code location?

Started by rambo_005, January 10, 2005, 11:37:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rambo_005

I am after a cheap (reasonable kms) 2.0L 3A Audi 80 engine for sinister purposes.  :P
A car has come up in Wellington, but the person selling it cant work out if it is a 3A or not. (Puts keys in whole, turns keys and pushes one pedal to move, the other to stop)

How can I (in simple method) get them to find the engine code?  ???

Anyone had a 3A engined 80 before and know where the code can be found easily?
Cheers

RS ZWEI

1980 VW Golf GTI Track Car
1995 Audi RS2
2003 Mini Cooper S (Written off - rear ended)
2005 Mini Cooper S
2006 Skoda Octavia vRS Combi
2009 Renault Megane 230 R26 (Written off - rear ended)
2013 Renault Megane RS265 Redbull RB8

rambo_005

They're everywhere Nik, mostly with blown auto transmissions.
Have yet to find another one priced as reasonable as this one ($150).
Just have to find out how many km's and if it really is a 3A and being in Wellington will cost me about $200 to get teh car to Wanganui.
Then I have a 1990 Audi 80 to get rid of ???

si

According to here: http://www.audifans.com/twiki/bin/view/Audi/EngineCode, the 3A was the only 4 cyl, 2.0L engine. That list is very US-centric though, and if there were models that never made it over there, they probably wouldn't feature.

Does the owner still have the user manual? It'll have it in there I think.

RS ZWEI

Quote from: rambo_005 on January 11, 2005, 03:49:18 PM
They're everywhere Nik, mostly with blown auto transmissions.
Have yet to find another one priced as reasonable as this one ($150).
Just have to find out how many km's and if it really is a 3A and being in Wellington will cost me about $200 to get teh car to Wanganui.
Then I have a 1990 Audi 80 to get rid of ???

Its good to find one that has been hooked up to a auto, usually means that it hasnt been thrashed.

Where have you mostly been coming across them?
1980 VW Golf GTI Track Car
1995 Audi RS2
2003 Mini Cooper S (Written off - rear ended)
2005 Mini Cooper S
2006 Skoda Octavia vRS Combi
2009 Renault Megane 230 R26 (Written off - rear ended)
2013 Renault Megane RS265 Redbull RB8

rambo_005

There is usally one or two passing though TradeMe and any Euro wrecker is bound to have a few floating around.
I'm just not prepared to spent too much on one as I know they go real cheap on TradeMe...

rambo_005

I just got an email from a guy that used to work at Z-One (The VW/Audi dealer in Palmerston North) and he is trying to get rid of a 1989 80 2.0E for 'a few hundred'. Looks like I finally got one close to home!

rambo_005

Quote from: Golfboy666GTI on January 11, 2005, 08:13:32 AMIm on the lookout for one as well. ;)

What do you have to do to fit this into your car Nik?

Mike

Engine code is found in three places:

1.    On the data sticker in the front of the service schedule (next to 'ENG CODE/TRANS CODE' and the equivlant in German underneath it)

2.    On the identical data sticker stuck to the inside of the boot lid

3.    On the engine block stamped on a flat which sticks up from the block. The first group of letters/numbers is the engine code, followed by the engine number. Once found is obvious, but is often very difficult to find, and covered in gunk etc. It will be in this sort of format *3A 123456* complete with asterisks at each end.

The problem with 1 and 2 is that if the car has had a rear end smack, and the service book has been lost, neither of tem will be there.

Another way is to get the VIN and ring an Audi dealer (and if they want to) they should be able to tell you the spec for that particular car.

Pushbutton_auto

Beating up parking wardens ain't a crime.