VASK - Where to from here?

Started by OOOO, January 11, 2005, 09:38:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OOOO

OK so we seem to be up and running fine.

Anyway I've been thinking about this Vask forum and wonder if we could or should take things to a new level.  The forum can be integrated into a proper website that may have things like a repair section that could contain pictorial step by step instructions for common repairs and maintenance or even more complicated mechanical work.  For example Jem could do a cam belt change on the 200 or valve stem seals  and it can be documented.  A list of preferred parts suppliers / repairers etc. with prices you can expect to pay.  There would be the inevitable commercial component of suppliers products and mods...but only those that are known to be reputable and work.

This is only scratching the surface but ultimately it would be nice if it got to the stage that our site is regarded as the place to go for any information or products regarding VAG cars.

I'm just shooting the breeze about it now and seeing what general members thoughts are on the subject.  Websites can be powerful information tools and this isn't anywhere near that stage yet.  It will take a lot of work and I'm not saying I will carry all that load with current commitments but willing to get the ball rolling.

...Open for discussion... ;D
2014 Audi A8 4.2TDI
2013 VW Golf 2.0TDI
2009 Audi A3 quattro

MRVR6

I don't mind a VAG related ad. Actually it help as I'm not sure where to source certain things sometimes. Beside, it is only fair that you get some "return" on your time, energy and money. I don't mind. Totally agree.

Period_Correct_

that sounds like a great idea, what about making it into a proper Car Club?
1971 Porsche 911T | 1990 Audi Quattro Turbo | 2003 Audi RS6 Avant | 2009 Renault Megane R26

robh

I reckon:

Suppliers list is good
Members rides section
Technical how to's is good
Daily Driver - VW Touareg V8 TDI 2012 "towing beast"
Too Many Cars - Lotus Elise S 2013 "tangerine dream"
Project Car - Golf VR6 Turbo "built not bought"
Wifes - Audi S4 Avant 2012 "I want a white car that sounds nice"

MRVR6

dimistyle

Go with the Group Buys and the recommended supplier and services :angel:

It would be really good to have a how to, and a what the hell  ??? do I do now section that is kept permanently 8)

Can't wait for the web site to be fully utilised :P

My 2 cents

OOOO

2014 Audi A8 4.2TDI
2013 VW Golf 2.0TDI
2009 Audi A3 quattro

MRVR6

Meaning that if several members want to import or buy anything from a particular shop, by combining the purchase, we might get discount. Even better, we make aggreement with certain vendor and said that we have set up a group buy. They will then send the items just to one person and that person have to send the other item to other member. I think I saw some forum do that, just can;t remember which.

dubstar

Bloody good idea.  What do we do to get started?
"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying."

OOOO

Quote from: MRVR6 on January 11, 2005, 03:14:40 PM
Meaning that if several members want to import or buy anything from a particular shop, by combining the purchase, we might get discount. Even better, we make aggreement with certain vendor and said that we have set up a group buy. They will then send the items just to one person and that person have to send the other item to other member. I think I saw some forum do that, just can;t remember which.

Yep that's what I thought but what about the mechanics of making it work on a website versus an ad hoc basis with random posts with whatever someone wants at the time.  I like it as an idea but want to move it one more step and figure out how we make it work well.
2014 Audi A8 4.2TDI
2013 VW Golf 2.0TDI
2009 Audi A3 quattro

RS ZWEI

Quote from: robh on January 11, 2005, 12:11:17 PM
I reckon:

Suppliers list is good
Members rides section
Technical how to's is good

I like Robs Ideas.
Maybe even a buyers guide to the more popular VAG cars?
But my feeling is that we dont want to lose the interaction that we have on the forum now.

How about trying to get a sponsor? Could cover the costs of the website, maybe prizes for trackdays etc?
1980 VW Golf GTI Track Car
1995 Audi RS2
2003 Mini Cooper S (Written off - rear ended)
2005 Mini Cooper S
2006 Skoda Octavia vRS Combi
2009 Renault Megane 230 R26 (Written off - rear ended)
2013 Renault Megane RS265 Redbull RB8

dimistyle

I suppose we would need a locked Post under Group Buys or Trading Post.
When anyone is prepared to be a middle man when purchasing any items that the distributor would give us a discount on for making multiple purchases.

Other forums post out a FEELER for items they are interested in, before approaching the distributer about discount and when there is interest in the items or similar configs, a GB is posted by the middle man who does all the wheeling and dealing. ;D

Problem is payment and shipping, need some sort of guaranteed payment from the interested parties, as the middle man will have the bulk of the payment and shipping to take care of. If it's an overseas order we will have GST and customs :police: to deal with. :'(

Just some hurtels to get over... ::)

robh

group buys are a pain in the ****, you spend heaps of time getting quotes and then people change their mind, it takes a lot of time up.

maybe we should try doing a monthly order from VAG in germany, where we always order from the same company and we always order on the same day each month, everyone can make their own enquries as to cost of parts directly and when they are sure they want them they front up the money and their order gets added to the shipment.  working out the shipping costs could be difficult though??

Daily Driver - VW Touareg V8 TDI 2012 "towing beast"
Too Many Cars - Lotus Elise S 2013 "tangerine dream"
Project Car - Golf VR6 Turbo "built not bought"
Wifes - Audi S4 Avant 2012 "I want a white car that sounds nice"

RS ZWEI

How about we add the club/forum to NZ Classic Car mags 'Club listings' that they have in there mag every month?

http://www.classiccar.co.nz/clubs.php

I think we would need two listings one for Audi, one for VW.
Just an idea?
1980 VW Golf GTI Track Car
1995 Audi RS2
2003 Mini Cooper S (Written off - rear ended)
2005 Mini Cooper S
2006 Skoda Octavia vRS Combi
2009 Renault Megane 230 R26 (Written off - rear ended)
2013 Renault Megane RS265 Redbull RB8

orggti

We kind of cover most of all those ideas with what weve got now. Tho it would be good to set it up as a proper web site but as with all those things its wether somebody has the time and inclination. Its a lot of work for somebody.

MRVR6

Quote from: orggti on January 12, 2005, 08:08:26 AM
We kind of cover most of all those ideas with what weve got now. Tho it would be good to set it up as a proper web site but as with all those things its wether somebody has the time and inclination. Its a lot of work for somebody.
That's why I reckon that the administrator should "gain" a little for their efforts. That is sponsor and so forth. We're the only VAG forum anyhow.

John Stone

MRVR6 wrote
That's why I reckon that the administrator should "gain" a little for their efforts. That is sponsor and so forth. We're the only VAG forum anyhow.

And we've only just started to scratch the surface of Vag owners in NZ - there must be many hundreds out there who would be interested in this forum, even if it's for only the occasional visit.

John
86 WR
04 A3
05 V50T5

notagain

I have thought about maybe a listing of the businesses we are involved in or own, and any discounts/ deals we can do for each other. Sort of like what S2 quattro posted.

orggti

Quote from: beetleboy on January 12, 2005, 09:14:07 PM
I have thought about maybe a listing of the businesses we are involved in or own, and any discounts/ deals we can do for each other. Sort of like what S2 quattro posted.

Thats a good idea