Clutch Pedal Sinking...

Started by OOOO, May 11, 2010, 07:35:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OOOO

Clutch pedal travel is slowly reducing and will no doubt get to the point when I can't change gears. A similar thing happend in one of my 200q some years ago when the pedal ended up stuck to the floor. Can't remember the fix. Any ideas?
2014 Audi A8 4.2TDI
2013 VW Golf 2.0TDI
2009 Audi A3 quattro

qta4

Scott, this shouldnt be rocket science, either master or slave cylinder.
Skill is, sucessfully tightrope walking across the Niagra Falls.
Intelligence is, having the sense not to do it.

GTI's

Input shaft is not greased and the plate is sticking with clutchdust

OOOO

Quote from: qta4 on May 11, 2010, 07:53:36 PM
Scott, this shouldnt be rocket science, either master or slave cylinder.

Yep that is what I think it will be but is it a fiddle and tweak solution or straight to replacement?
2014 Audi A8 4.2TDI
2013 VW Golf 2.0TDI
2009 Audi A3 quattro

qta4

rambo_005

Usually means one of the two need to be replaced/rebuilt.

OOOO

2014 Audi A8 4.2TDI
2013 VW Golf 2.0TDI
2009 Audi A3 quattro

qta4

I suggest looking at master cylinder, really hard to spot, the liquid leaking.

wilco

Mwwaahrrr.. ditch the manual my way and use that auto   :laugh:  :laugh:

Nah, as others say, either clutch master or slave.  Sing out if you need a hand although I think Audi installed the slave cylinder soon after the steering rack which was just after the paint dried.  Then they dumped everything else on top, around and underneath it.

Trofeo

Quote from: wilco on May 12, 2010, 08:34:38 AM
Mwwaahrrr.. ditch the manual my way and use that auto   :laugh:  :laugh:

Nah, as others say, either clutch master or slave.  Sing out if you need a hand although I think Audi installed the slave cylinder soon after the steering rack which was just after the paint dried.  Then they dumped everything else on top, around and underneath it.

i found out the hard way that the slave is inside the gearbox on the S3...

Thinking about it though, if the clutch pedal is getting closer to the floor or its getting harder to change gears, then wouldn't it be the clutch collapsing? a hydraulic master and slave cylinder should keep the pedal at the same height and give it the same range of movement even if they are losing fluid (providing you are keeping it topped up)
2015 Amarok 4WD auto
2018 Golf R-Line Tsi

wilco

Not if its leaking air into it somehow.

OOOO

The car normally has a long clutch pedal travel with the clutch biting about 20% up from the floor. Now it bites immediately off the floor.
2014 Audi A8 4.2TDI
2013 VW Golf 2.0TDI
2009 Audi A3 quattro

OOOO

Master cylinder was leaking but main culprit was some broken metal fixings in the pedal box. This meant the whole master cylinder moved when depressing the clutch which led to reduced clutch travel. Some mig welding work, a lot of hours of labour and all fixed. Unfortunately the labour was not mine so $$
2014 Audi A8 4.2TDI
2013 VW Golf 2.0TDI
2009 Audi A3 quattro