Remapping in New Zealand.

Started by S3NZ, November 08, 2005, 04:20:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Period_Correct_

Quote from: R32 Simon on November 15, 2005, 10:29:12 AM
my aim to make this the fastest golf ever >:D

dahlback won't like that statement! your R32 was awesome before it got stolen! those pricks!
1971 Porsche 911T | 1990 Audi Quattro Turbo | 2003 Audi RS6 Avant | 2009 Renault Megane R26

R32 Simon

It?s my R32 that was stolen that I am using for this project, I got the car back in a million pieces!

I was worried about the heads on the R32, but I have spoken to several companies that either turbo charge or super charge this engine, they have never had one fail so far.

This car will be road legal but I will only use it for track days and Sunday fun (also hoping to blow a few Skylines off at the ? mile). I am using the guy who did my AmD 300 bhp conversion, so he knows his way around the R32, Gary Capper is an ex WRC mechanic.

I just love the look of the R32, yes i know it seems silly doing all this work (according to my wife!) but i want something different, hopefully i will also need to carry spare undies every time i go out in it!  ;D

hitmanGTI

Quote from: R32 Simon on November 16, 2005, 03:35:06 PM
It?s my R32 that was stolen that I am using for this project, I got the car back in a million pieces!

I was worried about the heads on the R32, but I have spoken to several companies that either turbo charge or super charge this engine, they have never had one fail so far.

This car will be road legal but I will only use it for track days and Sunday fun (also hoping to blow a few Skylines off at the ? mile). I am using the guy who did my AmD 300 bhp conversion, so he knows his way around the R32, Gary Capper is an ex WRC mechanic.

I just love the look of the R32, yes i know it seems silly doing all this work (according to my wife!) but i want something different, hopefully i will also need to carry spare undies every time i go out in it!? ;D

go simon that shape R32 is the best

1.8t

The RS6 needs some compitition on the megadrives, sounds awesome :)
Dudlee the 86 318i
Past.. 95 328i M Coupe, 97 Pug 306, 97 Vento

hitmanGTI

Quote from: 1.8t on November 16, 2005, 04:35:01 PM
The RS6 needs some compitition on the megadrives, sounds awesome :)

The RS6 had all the competition he needed with me .. lol not

beeker

Is it Simons OLD car ? Back from the theifs ?
14 RS6 Avant Black
23 RS6 Performance avant on order
17 Q7 S Line 200kw
93 E36 M3 Targa Car
01 Porsche Boxster Series Race Car
17 Porsche 991.2 GT3 clubsport
94 DC2 Integra Targa/Track Race Car
13 TR86 race car
2018 Highlander
2017 Outback

hitmanGTI

Yeah he got it back in millions of peices from the ware house in... wait for it... surprise surprise.. south auckland

beeker

Quote from: hitmanGTI on November 16, 2005, 06:25:34 PM
Yeah he got it back in millions of peices from the ware house in... wait for it... surprise surprise.. south auckland

If you dont mind me asking, i'm wondering what he got it for $$ wise.
14 RS6 Avant Black
23 RS6 Performance avant on order
17 Q7 S Line 200kw
93 E36 M3 Targa Car
01 Porsche Boxster Series Race Car
17 Porsche 991.2 GT3 clubsport
94 DC2 Integra Targa/Track Race Car
13 TR86 race car
2018 Highlander
2017 Outback

hitmanGTI

Dont ask me... Ask simon... lol  ::)

VB

Hi I'm a new member here and I have a 2001 s3 with an mtm chip and it works fine on 97.5 and 98 octane. I would definitely recommend one although I bought my car already chipped and didn't have to shell out for the chip which I understand can be quite pricey. At any rate the car has a huge amount of torque and drives really well although it drops off a bit top end and there isn't any point in revving it past 6000 rpm.

Contacted Giltraps recently re getting a stainless steel mtm exhaust and they are hopeless. They said they would call me back and that was over two weeks ago.

:)

hitmanGTI

personally just from what i have scene and the information rex had eductaed me wit.. MTM is not as great as everyone makes it out to be.. what we observed when a 1.8t A4 quattro was on the dyno.. it was running so lean it was practically running on air..

RS ZWEI

Quote from: VB on November 22, 2005, 09:29:49 AM
Hi I'm a new member here and I have a 2001 s3 with an mtm chip and it works fine on 97.5 and 98 octane. I would definitely recommend one although I bought my car already chipped and didn't have to shell out for the chip which I understand can be quite pricey. At any rate the car has a huge amount of torque and drives really well although it drops off a bit top end and there isn't any point in revving it past 6000 rpm.

Contacted Giltraps recently re getting a stainless steel mtm exhaust and they are hopeless. They said they would call me back and that was over two weeks ago.

:)

Wecome to the forum, what colour is your S3?

Have you thought of the idea of getting a Miltek exhaust?
1980 VW Golf GTI Track Car
1995 Audi RS2
2003 Mini Cooper S (Written off - rear ended)
2005 Mini Cooper S
2006 Skoda Octavia vRS Combi
2009 Renault Megane 230 R26 (Written off - rear ended)
2013 Renault Megane RS265 Redbull RB8

VB

Hi hitmanGTI its nogaro blue and I've read about the miltek system although  I have no idea how much a system costs and what gains are available although I'm sure the performance is probably similar. Any ideas?

Regarding the a4 it doesn't sound like it was running right if it was running lean. The problem may not have been solely down to the chip although I haven't seen this particular car and don't know what the set up is how many hp it was supposed to be putting down etc.

I've got no complaints with my chip except the lack of top end although that's probably due to the turbo. I understand Mtm chips are expensive and so in terms of value for money the benefit may be questionable in comparison to a good remapping but NZ doesn't seem to have all the remapping options that the uk has. I fully reaslise from reading a uk forum that remapping is just as effective and cheaper and sometimes the results are even better.

VB

Surely what someone said from AMD about a competitor can't be objective. He was obviously looking to close a deal. 8)

RS ZWEI

Quote from: VB on November 22, 2005, 04:49:44 PM
Surely what someone said from AMD about a competitor can't be objective. He was obviously looking to close a deal. 8)

MTM products seem to have there problems out here in NZ. There have been a few forum members that have changed from MTM to other tuning brands.
From what I understand MTM chips have very peaky power delivery and not as much torque as other tuners chips.
1980 VW Golf GTI Track Car
1995 Audi RS2
2003 Mini Cooper S (Written off - rear ended)
2005 Mini Cooper S
2006 Skoda Octavia vRS Combi
2009 Renault Megane 230 R26 (Written off - rear ended)
2013 Renault Megane RS265 Redbull RB8

VB

My chip is very torquey and isn't peaky. The first thing I noticed when I took it for a test drive and had heard that it had been chipped was that it had a lot of torque somewhere in the vicinity of 370nm @ 3300 rpm which is up from 270 nm standard. The peak power is at 5500rpm which is pretty low.

http://mtm-online.de/en/audi_kit_S3155Q_M0S3210250QX.html

I haven't bothered trying to equal the 0-100 time yet as my car is heavier than standard due to the seats I think and I want to conserve my gear box. The car feels very quick though.

Failing the link I've posted perhaps you need to come for a ride some time. Personally I would like a little bit more up top but realise that I would have to upgrade the turbo to soemthing a little larger or perhaps go for a fmic or change the cams. Not interested in messing round with the cams though.

VB

The cost of the chip on the site is 1300 euros so at least $2,000 in NZ and if you can get similar results from AMD or revo or someone similar then go for it as it will likely be significantly cheaper and ultimately better value.

hitmanGTI

Either way.. chip no chip.. i like the sound of your car, millteks are a nice sounding exhaust.. i have one.. it looks very well built..etc etc.. however.. its noisy because of the stainless..

and since purchase i have learned stainless isnt necessary in NZ cos there is no salt on our roads so mild systems work and last for just as long..

doesnt mean i dont like the milly

ps. it doesnt hurt to give your gearbox crap everynow and then... i do it daily  >:D

Turbo

Quote from: VB on November 22, 2005, 05:49:04 PM
The cost of the chip on the site is 1300 euros so at least $2,000 in NZ and if you can get similar results from AMD or revo or someone similar then go for it as it will likely be significantly cheaper and ultimately better value.

the guy who started this thread got quoted $3k from Giltraps to fit an mtm chip in his S3.
He's trying out a revo on at the moment.
2000 S4, MTM stage 1, Oettinger RE's, Bilstein Sports, Vogtland springs, H&R Swaybars, DBA 4000 rotors, EBC Yellow stuff pads, 710N DV's, F1 tints, RS4 clutch

hitmanGTI

3000 damn that..

Im going to go revo out of the pure fact they do not have to open my ecu..! oh yeah
and minus about 1300 dollars