Remapping in New Zealand.

Started by S3NZ, November 08, 2005, 04:20:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

urq20v

[
Contacted Giltraps recently re getting a stainless steel mtm exhaust and they are hopeless. They said they would call me back and that was over two weeks ago.

:)

If you are interesed in a Milltek catback exhaust for your S3 at a great price,PM Jem (orggti) on VASK.
Also if you want to improve the top end performance in your S3,fit a silicon hose kit.S3s suffer badly from hose expansion under boost and squeezing under vaccuum.Of the few S3s I have modified,all benefitted from fitting silicon hoses.

beeker

Quote from: Turbo NotLo on November 22, 2005, 06:38:45 PM
the guy who started this thread got quoted $3k from Giltraps to fit an mtm chip in his S3.
He's trying out a revo on at the moment.

Try $6k for an RS4 chip !
14 RS6 Avant Black
23 RS6 Performance avant on order
17 Q7 S Line 200kw
93 E36 M3 Targa Car
01 Porsche Boxster Series Race Car
17 Porsche 991.2 GT3 clubsport
94 DC2 Integra Targa/Track Race Car
13 TR86 race car
2018 Highlander
2017 Outback

S3NZ

Hey all.
Cheers for the replies. Basically having removed an MTM upgrade from the equation due to Giltrap?s $3000 quote I researched Revo-Technik and via their website made contact with the NZ agent, Paul Watson at EuroTechnic in Mt Maunganui. He was very helpful and when I asked was more than happy to give me a free 5 ?driving hours? trial. The ability to trial the Revo system is pretty cool. So on Saturday he was in Auckland upgrading a Skoda and swung by my place armed with a laptop and the Revo software. Very simple, he plugged in, scanned the system, identified the ECU, selected the software and pressed go. Ten minutes later I had 265hp ? for a whole 5 hours. And it was noticeable. I could hear the DV more than usual for a start and the car was definitely pulling harder on my drive to Raglan as the guy in the silver WRX will confirm. Am pretty sure I will put down my $1750 for the kit in the New Year. May dyno it before and after just to see. The exhaust and silicon hoses info is interesting too. It?s a slippery slope this stuff eh.
Cheers again.
2010 VW Golf GTI
2007 S3 (SOLD)
2000 S3 (SOLD)
1971 VW Beetle (OLD)

VB

S3NZ sounds like excellent value for money. $3,000 for a chip is incredibly expensive and $6,000 for an rs4 chip is unbelievable.

265hp sounds like a lot of fun and 15hp more than mine. I'm sure you will enjoy! ;D

VB

Thanks for the good advice guys. I think I will look into the silicon hose mod and I'm already jealous of the 265hp remap available from revo. Having heard how much the mtm chip was I'm guessing that the exhaust will be a lot more and won't be money well spent. Think I find out about the miltek.

hitmanGTI

Quote from: VB on November 23, 2005, 12:37:19 PM
Thanks for the good advice guys. I think I will look into the silicon hose mod and I'm already jealous of the 265hp remap available from revo. Having heard how much the mtm chip was I'm guessing that the exhaust will be a lot more and won't be money well spent. Think I find out about the miltek.

Just remember.. all those power quotes can be debateable..

also.. you will probabaly achieve the same power if not more if you add a Proper Sporting Exhaust System

From what i have read.. the Revo power claims are usually with an Exhaust system bolted on etc blah blah blah..

up to you to decide..

but there are some nice premade exhaust systems currently available from VASK user ORGGTI contact him to see what you got if you want a beautiful Stainless exhaust

S3NZ

2010 VW Golf GTI
2007 S3 (SOLD)
2000 S3 (SOLD)
1971 VW Beetle (OLD)

Period_Correct_

Quote from: S3NZ on November 23, 2005, 03:40:28 PM
wise words.

LMAO if you're referring to HITMAN! no offence intended anton!
1971 Porsche 911T | 1990 Audi Quattro Turbo | 2003 Audi RS6 Avant | 2009 Renault Megane R26

hitmanGTI

RS ZWEI

Quote from: NasTnaS on November 23, 2005, 08:41:37 PM
LMAO if you're referring to HITMAN! no offence intended anton!

I think Antons comment above makes sence.
1980 VW Golf GTI Track Car
1995 Audi RS2
2003 Mini Cooper S (Written off - rear ended)
2005 Mini Cooper S
2006 Skoda Octavia vRS Combi
2009 Renault Megane 230 R26 (Written off - rear ended)
2013 Renault Megane RS265 Redbull RB8

eddyg

Quote from: VB on November 22, 2005, 04:45:34 PM
Hi hitmanGTI its nogaro blue.

Welcome to the exclusive Noggy club! :)

Another option to consider when tuning is to order your gear from Australia and use a local installer. I use APR over in Australia myself. Although to be fair I was using them over in Australia before I moved to NZ, and so the majority of my mods were done by them over there. They are pretty good on the shipping and of course you don't pay the Aussie GST (there are ways to reduce the corresponding NZ GST on importing)

S3 and R32 owners should really consider the Haldex PreX controller, it really does make a difference. I hardly notice any understear any more. It pretty much tracks perfectly. It works by predicting the torque based on throttle position, so that the rear wheels are engaged before the torque actually hits (whereas the existing system waits for wheel slip, which is too late).

Cheers, Ed.

VB

I'm definitely considering a haldex controller but should I be looking at modifying the factory suspension first as well? Also eddyg did you get your fmic installed here? Just curious as keen to get one.

eddyg

Quote from: VB on November 24, 2005, 04:35:44 PM
I'm definitely considering a haldex controller but should I be looking at modifying the factory suspension first as well? Also eddyg did you get your fmic installed here? Just curious as keen to get one.

I reckon Haldex first, then suspension. Although no big deal either way.

As for the FMIC, I got it installed in Oz, but it was an import from Europe, anyone (skilled in the art) could install it. However in NZ conditions I really don't think it's worth its extra weight (which is considerable, especially given that it's forward of the front wheels). In Oz I got it 'cos I was getting considerable power fade when the temp was greater than 35 degrees, but we don't get that very often in NZ.

Cheers, Ed.

VB

Sweet thanks Ed.

Keen to do the milltek first cat back but interested in getting a hi flow cat or removing the cat altogether. Does any one have ahi flow cat?

hitmanGTI

Quote from: VB on November 29, 2005, 05:25:09 PM
Sweet thanks Ed.

Keen to do the milltek first cat back but interested in getting a hi flow cat or removing the cat altogether. Does any one have ahi flow cat?

Remove it completly... makes your exhaust smell nicer

amdap

all AmD parts is available at Pukekohe's HiTech tuning station.

www.bobhomewood.com  They have dyno and everything

beeker

Quote from: amdap on November 30, 2005, 08:08:45 AM
all AmD parts is available at Pukekohe's HiTech tuning station.

www.bobhomewood.com? They have dyno and everything

Are you saying they do AMD chipping ?
14 RS6 Avant Black
23 RS6 Performance avant on order
17 Q7 S Line 200kw
93 E36 M3 Targa Car
01 Porsche Boxster Series Race Car
17 Porsche 991.2 GT3 clubsport
94 DC2 Integra Targa/Track Race Car
13 TR86 race car
2018 Highlander
2017 Outback

VB

Quote from: HitmanGTI on November 29, 2005, 06:22:33 PM
Remove it completly... makes your exhaust smell nicer

Good call! Sounds like a cheap gain.  ;D

It;s great that cats aren't compulsory here like in the UK. Would it be worth putting in a resonator in the place of the cat or go for straight pipe?

hitmanGTI

amdap

Yes , Mr Bob homewood and his crew now handles all AmD NZ enquiries.  They are a very professional team with the correct tools and even a dyno.

rest assure your vehicle is safe with him