SPOTTED: MK5 R32 in Auckland

Started by old4130, November 08, 2005, 08:47:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil_Corrado

True, but what sort of ratio was 3dr to 5dr? I think EMD should at least give you the option of indent order for 3dr.

bsting

im in ;D

Totally agree with you, if its an issue of storage space, mk5 3drs can be stored at my place.
I just truly do not understand why the 3dr is verboten. Cash should talk in this case, from those that are keen for a 3dr.
Would it kill them to import say 15 GTis in 3dr?
New arbath 3dr best bet imo.

Lunar7

One thing EMD don't seem to get is that the 3 door is much better for tall drivers as the longer front doors put the B pillar further back giving better visibility.

This is one reason I traded the V5 for an S3

old4130

Quote from: Neil on November 21, 2005, 11:40:34 AM
True, but what sort of ratio was 3dr to 5dr? I think EMD should at least give you the option of indent order for 3dr.

I agree, have the option of ordering 3dr.. They don't keep a lot of stock locally, so most have to be shipped anyway..

Bet over time the 3dr has the higher value

2005 Audi A4 1.8tq S line
1997 VW Golf GTI 16v
2011 Keeway Matrix
1987 Honda Beat FC 50 ~ 50cc of Fury

2000 SEAT Cordoba SXE ~ Her Car - Sold
2004 Subaru Forester XT 2.5 Limited ~ Her Car

rambo_005

Was just reading the October Australian 'Wheels' magazine and over there the R32 has been confirmed for the second half of 2006, availale with the 6 speed manual or DSG. Heres the part you'll like most: 3 DOOR ONLY.

Dubious

Quote from: rambo_005 on November 25, 2005, 02:37:06 PM
Was just reading the October Australian 'Wheels' magazine and over there the R32 has been confirmed for the second half of 2006, availale with the 6 speed manual or DSG. Heres the part you'll like most: 3 DOOR ONLY.

Wonder what the feasibility of getting an Oz import is?  Probably simpler getting one shipped to your door by carport.co.nz
15 8V S3 APR Stage 1

TC-80

Quote from: Dubious on November 25, 2005, 04:45:46 PM
Wonder what the feasibility of getting an Oz import is?? Probably simpler getting one shipped to your door by carport.co.nz

As nice as the 3-door would be, is it really worth paying a premium for?  carport.co.nz is more expensive than the NZ-new cars, and the spec is lower.

RS ZWEI

Quote from: TC-80 on November 26, 2005, 03:00:03 PM
carport.co.nz is more expensive than the NZ-new cars, and the spec is lower.

Err, not when you are saving 40K-50k on a S4 or an E55 AMG even if spec is a little different.
1980 VW Golf GTI Track Car
1995 Audi RS2
2003 Mini Cooper S (Written off - rear ended)
2005 Mini Cooper S
2006 Skoda Octavia vRS Combi
2009 Renault Megane 230 R26 (Written off - rear ended)
2013 Renault Megane RS265 Redbull RB8

TC-80

Quote from: Golfboy666GTI on November 26, 2005, 04:29:37 PM
Err, not when you are saving 40K-50k on a S4 or an E55 AMG even if spec is a little different.

I'm only talking about Golf here.

Turbo

i'm pretty sure i spotted a silver mark IV R32 going heading kingsland way down new north road on friday or saturday morning.
was lowered with bodykit and deep dish wheels, was going the opposite way so only caught a glimpse of what i thought was the R32 badge on the right side of the grill.

sound familiar to anyone?
2000 S4, MTM stage 1, Oettinger RE's, Bilstein Sports, Vogtland springs, H&R Swaybars, DBA 4000 rotors, EBC Yellow stuff pads, 710N DV's, F1 tints, RS4 clutch

old4130

I am seeing heaps now..

saw about 10 last week !

Best was a red one in Greenlane yesterday, it looked real good, most others I haves een are the olive grey colour
2005 Audi A4 1.8tq S line
1997 VW Golf GTI 16v
2011 Keeway Matrix
1987 Honda Beat FC 50 ~ 50cc of Fury

2000 SEAT Cordoba SXE ~ Her Car - Sold
2004 Subaru Forester XT 2.5 Limited ~ Her Car

AndyS

I've got a mate - his 17yo younger brother is about to get a new MkV R32, light blue in colour and optioned to $71k. Lucky...  >:(

1.8t

And I thought nick, a mate of mine was lucky to be geting a mk5 GTI.

I want one! Heck even a nice mk2 or mk3 GTI 16v would suit.
Dudlee the 86 318i
Past.. 95 328i M Coupe, 97 Pug 306, 97 Vento

hitmanGTI

Quote from: AndyS on January 24, 2006, 03:23:42 PM
I've got a mate - his 17yo younger brother is about to get a new MkV R32, light blue in colour and optioned to $71k. Lucky...  >:(

What The damn...  >:(

boraV5

Quote from: AndyS on January 24, 2006, 03:23:42 PM
Thats King's for you.

Why do you come to the meets AndyS?

AndyS

I'm not driving at the moment, I had an ankle reconstruction about 4 weeks ago and i cant drive for another couple of months at least which is pretty gaay. Apart from that iv got heaps of physio and rehab, still gotta go to hockey 4 or 5 times a week to watch and uni when it starts up in a few weeks.  Having said all that il try to come to the next one leith goes to.

Did he mention his older sister got a MkV Gti DSG?  I think its black with BBS wheels and 'DSG' plate but not too sure

Dicardo

Back to the comment about Yanks w/ Auto R32...DSG is offered by VW to compete w/ BMW/Audi/Saab/Volvo "manu-matics". And we're lazy  ;) no not really . Most new luxury cars (something silly like 70%) are sold in California, so the stats for new car purchases for "America" are more local. R32, EVO VIII, Subaru STI, 330i, etc. fall into a more luxury category. Few people are into a $31K USD VW Golf except enthusiasts or people looking for a fun weekend car.

Sorry about the tangent, but Americans believe sports cars are coupes, not saloons hence most of the offerings we get are coupes. I wouldn't touch a 5 door R32. My wife on the other-hand, who I was complaining to about the GTI being 5 door, thought it was fantastic. Also, the US doesn't believe in the "hot hatch" concept in large numbers. Kiwi's seem to, and (I'm guessing here so please feel free to correct me) before the mass importation of Japanese imports, 5 door was king and Kiwi's seem to use there cars to serve multiple purposes, whereas when I was looking at the R32, it was mine, and we had a family car that did everything else. My car wasn't even driven on the weekend except if my wife & I were going out.

Demographics drive the cars brought to market and I agree with the previous person who wrote that $ speaks. If you can only sell a 3 door to 30% of the market, and the 5 door to 90% (20% will go either way), the 5 door wins. Sorry for taking so long getting to that point ;D I'm just excited to have found a local club!

Dubious

To me it just seems strange that VW is now marketing the R32, which was once an enthusiast's car, to the masses in 5 door form.  Clearly they changed the brief while the new model was being created.

The cool thing about the mk4 R32 was that there was a limited number imported, so exclusivity remains high. As far as I know there is no limit to the number they are importing this time, so effectively it's become just a glorified GTI.
15 8V S3 APR Stage 1

rambo_005

I believe the Mk5 R32 is what would have been a V6 4motion...

hitmanGTI

Quote from: eight.valve on February 19, 2006, 10:00:33 PM
I believe the Mk5 R32 is what would have been a V6 4motion...

so why the hell did they try and make it look interesting if it just another peice of crap..