Project Cheap Intercooler - completed at last

Started by RobClubley, July 26, 2010, 02:40:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RobClubley

I've been after a front mount intercooler (FMIC) for a while. It seems to be one of those mods that lots of people want to do, but because the quality FMIC kits from Forge, Pro-Alloy, ABD etc are expensive they are reluctant to do it.
I was the same, and being a tight Yorkshireman I decided to risk buying one of the cheap Ebay kits.
I did a fair bit of research and decided I wanted a kit like the Americans use where the turbo outlet runs down the right-hand side of the engine rather than using the stock pipework that goes around the back then behind the wheel arch.

I looked at lot of Ebay kits, and they were all priced around the same, before settling on one from a supplier in China who offered the cheapest delivery cost to NZ.

Proving that you get what you pay for. Initial problems were:

The (emailed) instructions were just photos - of two different kits.
The intercooler had no means of mounting to the car.
The kit included 2.5" to 3" joiners for the core but both connections were 2.5".
There was no joiner for the throttle body end
The MAP sensor connector was just a connector for a pipe, not a flange as the sensor needs.

Also I have a relocated DV so I needed to add another connection for that.

So there followed a four month period of test fitting, pipe cutting and modifying, hole drilling, bumper removal, refitting, etc etc.

Eventually I got it all connected up how I wanted it.

Costs:

FMIC Kit $400
Delivery $180
Forge MAP sensor pipe $122
DV pipe $59
Hoses $29
Hose clamps $36
Total $826

Stuff I paid for and had left over:
More hoses, extra pipes etc $120
Aluminium welding to modify MAP sensor connection- ended up not using this!! $80
Total $200

Total $1026 :o

Time spent - maybe 40 hours.

So in conclusion - cheap isn't necessarily cheap!
Would I do it again? Probably!
Would I recommend it? No!
1985 ur quattro
1992 Ford Courier - the sensible daily

kiwihigh

Good job it looks mint... and completly stock with the bumper back on...NICE  8)
BUILT not bought

Trofeo

2015 Amarok 4WD auto
2018 Golf R-Line Tsi

RobClubley

Quote from: Trofeo on July 26, 2010, 03:32:33 PM
so.... how does it go?

Oh yeah good point :D That's why I did it :)
It feels good - I haven't noticed any extra lag but it definitely holds boost better at the top end. Need to get it on a dyno now to see how the curve looks compared to the SMIC.
1985 ur quattro
1992 Ford Courier - the sensible daily