Servicing

Started by Rusty05, November 15, 2005, 01:46:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

orggti

Quote from: Neil on December 28, 2005, 09:38:59 AM
Depends why it broke.
Yes but if continetal cars fitted it, then they must have done something wrong? not nessicarily but hey get to fight over it and not you.  thats how its supposed to work anyway.

Neil_Corrado

Its never that straight forward. Although its technically possibly for it to fitted incorrectly, the time it took to break makes that seem unlikely. If the customer elected not to change the water pump/tensioner's when the belt was changed (they would have been given the option) and one of them fails, what happens then?

orggti

Quote from: Neil on December 28, 2005, 12:59:36 PM
Its never that straight forward. Although its technically possibly for it to fitted incorrectly, the time it took to break makes that seem unlikely. If the customer elected not to change the water pump/tensioner's when the belt was changed (they would have been given the option) and one of them fails, what happens then?

Well if a tentioner fails cause its old and you said dont replace it, then its your fault, but if CCS did it then they would be responsible for replacing everything so that you would get the full warranteed service of your cambelt normally. Did he get the pump and tentioner done? If so then its between the belt maker and CCS if not its the owners fault for being a tightwad. It is acctually CCs job to deal with the belt maker if they did fit all the bits correctly. You may need to start shouting loudly and turn up with a sleeping bag and say your camping out with your boombox right here till it gets sorted, but thats life. Put it this way, how could the owner break the belt? it must be CCS or the belt makers fault, unless he did go the tightwad way of course.   

bigbumper

My friend has a CCS invoice showing that the tensioner and water pump were replaced at the same time as the cambelt.  The car was not owned by my mate at the time the cambelt was done, and he bought the car off another dealer, which seems to be why CCS are so dismissive of the whole matter.

Never mind, as my friend had only bought the car off the other dealer 2 weeks prior, the other dealer has obligations under the Consumer Guarantees Act and they are liable for the cost.  So CCS have saved themselves a repair cost (which they could have met internally for maybe $1k or so) and instead have got themselves some poor word-of-mouth advertising.

Neil_Corrado

Not really, the issue is it was out of warranty, its black and white. If the customer had bought the car from CCS the story would be different(Consumer Guarantees Act, just as the selling dealer has found out). You wouldn't buy a DVD player from cash converts and then go back to dick smith when it falls over would you?
So your suggesting that CCS should cover the cost of replacing an out of warranty belt for car they didn't sell to the new owner???

taupoq

Quote from: Neil on December 29, 2005, 10:58:23 AM
Not really, the issue is it was out of warranty, its black and white. If the customer had bought the car from CCS the story would be different(Consumer Guarantees Act, just as the selling dealer has found out). You wouldn't buy a DVD player from cash converts and then go back to dick smith when it falls over would you?
So your suggesting that CCS should cover the cost of replacing an out of warranty belt for car they didn't sell to the new owner???
No but comparing buying an (expensive) audi with a cheap DVD player is interesting...... Does this mean that you think audi's are cheap cars in expensive packaging?

John Stone

There's 24 months on Audi parts and Audi labour.

John
86 WR
04 A3
05 V50T5

beeker

Quote from: John Stone on December 29, 2005, 05:50:39 PM
There's 24 months on Audi parts and Audi labour.

John

But is it transferrable to a new owner ?
14 RS6 Avant Black
23 RS6 Performance avant on order
17 Q7 S Line 200kw
93 E36 M3 Targa Car
01 Porsche Boxster Series Race Car
17 Porsche 991.2 GT3 clubsport
94 DC2 Integra Targa/Track Race Car
13 TR86 race car
2018 Highlander
2017 Outback

orggti

Sadly i dont think it is transferable, tho id still suss out the belt manufacturer if you have the passed on receipts from that work being done by CCS, as It was the belt that broke after all.

bigbumper

Quote from: Neil on December 29, 2005, 10:58:23 AM

The DVD analogy isn't directly comparable and therefore irrelevant.

If you buy a say, 12 month old car, isn't the balance of the new car warranty transferred to the new owner? ?I had always thought so but perhaps I'm wrong ???? ?On the basis that it is, surely the parts and labour warranty on service work should be transferrable?

The fact that the car had a full CCS warranty was a definite plus when my friend was considering purchasing the car. ?But it turns out that you can't rely on the main dealer's workmanship or parts (as one of the two failed 4 years before they are expected to). ?Therefore the perceived added value and piece of mind of a FSH at CCS was in this instance, worthless. ?

As I say, the whole argument is academic as the dealer who sold him the car is picking up the tab. ?The point is that CCS weren't even interested in looking into it, makes me wonder why you would bother taking an 8 year old car to the main dealer for servicing.

Neil_Corrado

We could argue the point indefinitely. It just annoys the hell out of me when people bag CCS, EMD or Giltrap. On the face of it, if CCS declined to sort it, then there is more to it than the details provided in the earlier posts.

tempq18t

Quote from: Audi-man on December 27, 2005, 09:51:52 PM
The problem with 20-something sales people is that they are dealing with smart/successful people 10 - 30 years older than them. These people have a maturity and wisdom that a university graduate simply doesn't have.

When you are buying a big ticket item, a significant part of the experience is the relationship between buyer and seller, and a pimple faced sales person is going to struggle to personify the integrity and trust required to sell to a more mature person.

This is necessarily true, to quote a line from a sales and marketing course I did "people do business with people". As I see it, anyone who has got to the position to be able to buy a Porsche/Ferrari/Audi RS or such didn't get to that point by judging people on face value. It is how they portray themselves to the customer that makes it happen, I mean do you really think that CCS are stupid enough to have people in the sales positions if they aren't going to be able to make the sales ?
I personally know a few of the folks at Conti's - not including Neil who I have met a few times now - and I know that as young salesmen they have a true passion for the cars, they have done the slog cleaning/selling lower brands/customer service or what ever and they do a damn good job of it. They have earned their stripes so surely deserve the benefit of the doubt - unless you have personal experience of one selling you a 996 and delivering a new beetle ?

Audi-man

At Christmas time, Giltraps replaced my cat under warranty and said, by the way your rear muffler is rattling and needs replacing - (it didn't do this before).

Conti's looked at my muffler about a month later while servicing the car and said the buffels where stuffed and wanted $1200 for a factory replacement plus install costs.

Just took the car to Dean (a.k.a Mr Muffler). He opened the middle chamber and pulled a 60x30x25mm piece of dead cat (care of Giltraps half ass workmanship) out of the rear muffler and charged ONLY $30!!!

Just like the low boost due to a faulty BCV, I get really pissed off with the main dealers when they fail to diagnose simple issues and charge moon-beams - I really do think they are useless!

The upside is, with a 60x30x25mm obstruction taken out of the rear muffler the car go's sh*t loads faster again!

With the new wett chip, DV, BCV and muffler repair (all no thanks to Giltraps and Conti's) the car is going really well. 

cao

Chch Servicing

I've switched from Miles to AutoTek
Very pleased with the level of service at Autotek and the ability to actual talk directly with the guys who do the actual work.
I had problems with Miles not listening to my instructions

OOOO

My personal opinion is that these guys are being trained on and rely too much on computer diagnostics. They are not being trained on thinking...

I remember sitting in front of a CCS managing director for an interview and how he tried to impress upon me the amount of investment that goes into training their mechanics with the latest diagnostic equipment. That's all fine but there are problems if it doesn't produce people to pick up on the simple things that Audiman makes a point of.

I have no faith in a FSH from the dealerships based on personal experience and from other peoples sad stories. There are the exceptions in these establishments and I believe it unfair to label them all as useless but when you pay a lot of money for the privilege then I believe this should be backed up with superb service and workmanship across the board.
2014 Audi A8 4.2TDI
2013 VW Golf 2.0TDI
2009 Audi A3 quattro

hitmanGTI

Quote from: Audiman on April 13, 2006, 04:47:59 PM

Just took the car to Dean (a.k.a Mr Muffler). He opened the middle chamber and pulled a 60x30x25mm piece of dead cat (care of Giltraps half ass workmanship) out of the rear muffler and charged ONLY $30!!!

Dean is awesome he has done pretty much all my Exhaust modifications for my car.. and modified the miltek that had chronic fitment issues..  >:(

Audi-man

Quote from: MK4 GTI on April 13, 2006, 06:24:54 PM
Dean is awesome he has done pretty much all my Exhaust modifications for my car.. and modified the miltek that had chronic fitment issues..  >:(

Dean is a top man. I'd only take my car to him now.

Besides Dean tells a funny story about a dude who was kicking his car and calling it names when he (opps, I mean 'they') found out their Milteck muffler was stuffed after 6 months. I wonder who this dude was? - Anton

Turbo

At Christmas time, Giltraps replaced my cat under warranty and said, by the way your rear muffler is rattling and needs replacing - (it didn't do this before).

Conti's looked at my muffler about a month later while servicing the car and said the buffels where stuffed and wanted $1200 for a factory replacement plus install costs.

Just like the low boost due to a faulty BCV, I get really pissed off with the main dealers when they fail to diagnose simple issues and charge moon-beams - I really do think they are useless!

The upside is, with a 60x30x25mm obstruction taken out of the rear muffler the car go's sh*t loads faster again!

With the new wett chip, DV, BCV and muffler repair (all no thanks to Giltraps and Conti's) the car is going really well. 

be careful your A/F ratio hasn't been affected.
2000 S4, MTM stage 1, Oettinger RE's, Bilstein Sports, Vogtland springs, H&R Swaybars, DBA 4000 rotors, EBC Yellow stuff pads, 710N DV's, F1 tints, RS4 clutch

hitmanGTI

Quote from: Audiman on April 13, 2006, 07:41:12 PM
Dean is a top man. I'd only take my car to him now.

Besides Dean tells a funny story about a dude who was kicking his car and calling it names when he (opps, I mean 'they') found out their Milteck muffler was stuffed after 6 months. I wonder who this dude was? - Anton

That was my car indeed althou.. i didnt kick it..

i kicked the muffler lol..

He is a good dude..

Cheap as chips

Neil_Corrado

How is it "care of Giltraps half ass workmanship" that your cat failed and blew bits of s**t futher down the exhaust? Did you expect them to jam an endoscope in there to check for this???
Did you give either Giltrap or CCS the insight of your complaints before bagging them on the net? Or do you feel its easier to do it here and avoid anytype of confrontation?