B8 Audi A5 and S5 tuning options - compared and ranked

Started by HighPerformanceAudi, August 16, 2010, 07:59:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HighPerformanceAudi

I've put together the power and torque figures from all the (global) tuners who offer tuning for the B8 Audi A5 and S5, and ranked them according to their stated max power output.

Audi A5 tuners ranked

Audi S5 tuners ranked

Hope you guys find it useful!

RS4

What an absolute waste of time.
We custom map everything , but even so anyone can make power , especially on a turbo car, and the difference in the numbers is crazy on some of them.
We can wind the power up to play the numbers game, but its about balance and drivability.

Like to see you get 39 bhp from an S5 4.2 V8,

IMHO those figures mean absolutely nothing.

I suspect on the 3.0TFSI there has also been a pulley change on a couple of them.

My 2 cents.
Audi RS4 450 BHP, Milltek, intake, remapped (sold)
VW Edition 30, 307 BHP remap. Manual. (sold)
Audi S6 V10, Milltek , Audi A4 B8 (sold)
VW Golf MK6 Gti, Black
Skoda Octavia vRS TDi, Blue, Coilovers, Mapped, 19's SOLD
Audi B7 A4 3.0 TDi , Mapped, more to follow

beeker

14 RS6 Avant Black
23 RS6 Performance avant on order
17 Q7 S Line 200kw
93 E36 M3 Targa Car
01 Porsche Boxster Series Race Car
17 Porsche 991.2 GT3 clubsport
94 DC2 Integra Targa/Track Race Car
13 TR86 race car
2018 Highlander
2017 Outback

80 Vert

Quote from: RS4 on August 16, 2010, 08:27:35 PM
What an absolute waste of time.
We custom map everything , but even so anyone can make power , especially on a turbo car, and the difference in the numbers is crazy on some of them.
We can wind the power up to play the numbers game, but its about balance and drivability.

I suspect on the 3.0TFSI there has also been a pulley change on a couple of them.

My 2 cents.

But yet you claim 25hp from a 2.8L VR6?? so surely 39hp from a 4.2L V8 would be no problem?
How are the numbers you quote without a dyno proof any different?
Just my 2 cents...........
2010 T5 Transporter TDI  Tuned by Superior Tuning NZ
2003 Jetta Coupe soon to be R36TT
1991 Golf GTI 2.0 TSI swapped
1963 Type 34 Karmann Ghia, turbo 2.0
1990 Porsche 964 911 Carrera 4
1980 1303 Beetle vert, under restoration

RS4

God you are boring!
We offered the deals out there at $500 for anyone who wanted a new chip to tst, and we have been over and over this , the best result gained was 25bhp.
Looks how old and s**tty the VR6 motor is compared to the highly tuned 4.2 V8.

VW Golf MK6 Gti, Black

80 Vert

???
"your quote"

So.......you make no sense at all, claim 25hp from a VR6 but yet you don't believe 39hp from a V8?
Call me boring, its ok with me.
2010 T5 Transporter TDI  Tuned by Superior Tuning NZ
2003 Jetta Coupe soon to be R36TT
1991 Golf GTI 2.0 TSI swapped
1963 Type 34 Karmann Ghia, turbo 2.0
1990 Porsche 964 911 Carrera 4
1980 1303 Beetle vert, under restoration

RS4

Just that its 11 more than any other tuner can get from the same motor.
If you go back to our original post , and obviously you have , we talk about the max we have seen being 25 bhp on a VR6.
It may have been a crap tune prior to that but that was the result.
The 4.2 V8 is tuned on theory, and to have 11 more than ANY other tuner, and we only claim 28 on it, is outstanding but hard to fathom.
Actually re-reading it , they claim 41 bhp over standard not 39. So thats 13 more than us with exhaustive testing.

Maybe they know something we dont??? or , who knows.

Happy days  :D

VW Golf MK6 Gti, Black

beeker

With all respect,

Getting extra power is one thing, getting safe extra power is another.
As a simple example, anyone can increase the rev limit, and get extra power quickly, but look at the potential issues.

I would personally prefer a 'known' map, and one which is slightly conservative and on the safe side.

But, thats just my opinion only.
14 RS6 Avant Black
23 RS6 Performance avant on order
17 Q7 S Line 200kw
93 E36 M3 Targa Car
01 Porsche Boxster Series Race Car
17 Porsche 991.2 GT3 clubsport
94 DC2 Integra Targa/Track Race Car
13 TR86 race car
2018 Highlander
2017 Outback

RS4

"known' brand as in what? MTM, Oettinger etc? They are pretty faceless companies who use generic tunes and charge the earth.
All we want to do is have people here who you can talk to, who can give advice, sell you parts from stock rather than importing them yourselves.
We have fully Bosch trained and approved technicians, massively expensive testing facilites, fully warranty backing  and people who you can talk to pretty much any time of the day or night. We also hold stock here for mods, Forge, V-maxx, H&R, Milltek etc. Who else can say that?
Our dealer network is 258 and counting dealers around the world. Just cause we dont have massive advertising budgets doesnt mean we are no good.
Why did EMD drop MTM as a tuning option even though they were an official dealer? Answer: Becasue they were having too many issues with them.

VW Golf MK6 Gti, Black

JDVW

they can make the 3.0 S5 get more hp than the 4.2? That sounds odd (im no expert but i thought it would be
the other way round)
7̶9̶ M̶K̶1̶ G̶L̶S̶ (̶t̶h̶e̶ r̶a̶t̶)̶
8̶2̶ M̶K̶1̶ G̶T̶I̶
8̶3̶ M̶K̶1̶ G̶T̶I̶
9̶9̶ M̶K̶4̶ G̶T̶X̶
12 MK6 Golf Wagon

rambo_005

Quote from: JDVW on August 18, 2010, 05:47:01 PM
they can make the 3.0 S5 get more hp than the 4.2? That sounds odd (im no expert but i thought it would be
the other way round)

The 3.0T is a Supercharged V6, it replaced the NA 4.2 V8.

JDVW

7̶9̶ M̶K̶1̶ G̶L̶S̶ (̶t̶h̶e̶ r̶a̶t̶)̶
8̶2̶ M̶K̶1̶ G̶T̶I̶
8̶3̶ M̶K̶1̶ G̶T̶I̶
9̶9̶ M̶K̶4̶ G̶T̶X̶
12 MK6 Golf Wagon

Guy@HP

Quote from: RS4 on August 17, 2010, 08:55:43 AM
"known' brand as in what? MTM, Oettinger etc? They are pretty faceless companies who use generic tunes and charge the earth.
All we want to do is have people here who you can talk to, who can give advice, sell you parts from stock rather than importing them yourselves.
We have fully Bosch trained and approved technicians, massively expensive testing facilites, fully warranty backing  and people who you can talk to pretty much any time of the day or night. We also hold stock here for mods, Forge, V-maxx, H&R, Milltek etc. Who else can say that?
Our dealer network is 258 and counting dealers around the world. Just cause we dont have massive advertising budgets doesnt mean we are no good.
Why did EMD drop MTM as a tuning option even though they were an official dealer? Answer: Becasue they were having too many issues with them.

:o wow, David, are you really telling me that you are bigger than "MTM, Oettinger etc" ????? - I have been to both facilities in Germany, and I have seen calibration in progress.

I suggest you visit them both before making statements like that...

HighPerformanceAudi - nice tables & good work for putting it together.

Can I make a suggestion? - try to rank them by the torque outputs, I know for a fact that certain tuners have worked more on the torque numbers on these cars rather than outright HP, and having driven quite a few, I can tell you what is faster in a heavy quattro car - it's the one with the smoother, bigger torque curve - not the peak power spike!

RS4

Guy, did i ever say we were bigger than MTM or Oettinger? Nope, and its not the point.
Not sure that APR has 258 worldwide dealers though, never mind.
The point is that just because it has a 'name' that has a huge marketing budget behind it doesnt mean its any better than any other brand or tuner.
Why dont you look after your own affairs rather than telling me about mine and trying to put words in my mouth.

Its not the first time you have had a dig at me on here Guy,

You just look after your own back yard

VW Golf MK6 Gti, Black

Turbo

i found those above stats to be interesting and pertinent.
we're all smart enough to read between the lines with stats but regardless, it's a public forum and the more information available to everyone the better, no?

somehow RS4, it seems you've taken the thread personally and become defensive about it. spinning your reply into an ad for your company.
(your replies seem heated, maybe i'm misreading the intended tone?)

imo, a big 'name' that has a huge marketing budget is likely to be more reputable and have a proven track-record (no pun intended).
they have more to lose if things go wrong, and more resources to deal with it if it does.
smaller tuners 'may' be just as good but, for peace of mind, many people would rather pay a premium for the confidence that a known brand gives you.

one thing is for sure, the big brands didn't get their good reputations from throwing handbags in internet slagging matches. ;)

2000 S4, MTM stage 1, Oettinger RE's, Bilstein Sports, Vogtland springs, H&R Swaybars, DBA 4000 rotors, EBC Yellow stuff pads, 710N DV's, F1 tints, RS4 clutch

RS4

I was in fact the one who was slung mud at :
QuoteShocked wow, David, are you really telling me that you are bigger than "MTM, Oettinger etc" Huh?? - I have been to both facilities in Germany, and I have seen calibration in progress.

I suggest you visit them both before making statements like that.

Thats just taking the Piss, and its not even what i said.
Youre telling me that you can read between the lines of the power figures, and thats great, but loads of people cant and just focus on the 'numbers'

My post was far from an ad for my company, i was merely expressing an opinion, and i wasnt the one slagging.
Someone else came in and had a go about us saying we were bigger than MTM and Oettinger.

He was the one who made it personal, all i was talking about was the figures , and how they really dont mean a lot when not in context, and hardly a tuner on the list is even represented here.

Happy days  :)
VW Golf MK6 Gti, Black

Turbo

i was mainly meaning your replies to the original post (and then to beeker's)

the OP took the time to post the stats, which many may find useful and you shoot him down saying it was a waste of time, then used that as a platform to fulfill your agenda.

your reply seemed a little abrasive and, considering your background, i read the rest of your reply as a sales pitch. which may not have been the intention but each successive reply you made seemed to confirm this.

to me the first sling of mud was from you at faceless companies who use generic tunes and charge the earth'.

from anyone else this would be an innocuous enough statement but, as you continually point out, you are their competition. just seems a bit off imo.

perhaps i'm reading too much into your posts, but possibly something to be aware of if others see the same thing. :-\

edit:
back on topic - i realise your main issue with the stats was probably the way they have been ranked by hp, rather than the stats themselves but the peak revs and torque figures are also included to give the reader a more rounded view. for most of us (in fact, probably all?) this is academic.... not aware of any A5/S5 owners on vask, are there any?
2000 S4, MTM stage 1, Oettinger RE's, Bilstein Sports, Vogtland springs, H&R Swaybars, DBA 4000 rotors, EBC Yellow stuff pads, 710N DV's, F1 tints, RS4 clutch

RS4

Point well made and taken, i think enough said.
I guess we all can get peeved by how people post , but the written word is sometimes hard to interpret interms of its actual meaning.
Anyways, as you say there are not a lot of A5 and S5 vehicles on the road really in nz although the range is increasing so we should see more.

Early results on the latest A5 turbo 2.0 are good and seem very receptive to tuning.
The V8 is pretty much the same animal in a different guise and we look forward to a new motor i hope in the near future.
Likely the 3.0 s/c will take over more and more.

VW Golf MK6 Gti, Black

Guy@HP

Hi David,

This was more the comment you made that I took offence at:

Quote from: RS4 on August 17, 2010, 08:55:43 AM

As mentioned, I have been to both their facilities & seen their technicians calibrating cars - so I believe your statement is false - unless of course you can prove otherwise.

Anyway, I'm not concerned about your product, nor do I think anyone has questioned it or mentioned it - you seem to have a lot of comments on other peoples products.

Might be wise to not mention others & concentrate on positive marketing of your own product instead?

Oh, APR only have ~ 230 dealers world wide - but I don't think that has much to do with what the original poster of this thread was intending to bring to the attention of the forum members.

RS4

The companies themselves are great, but at this end of the world, they are faceless, and pretty much personel-less.
There are a number of good tuning operations here in NZ, but what i am getting at is that the companies such as MTM and Oettinger have no real presence here, along with the majority of others on the list.
Going right back to my first comment, people get too hung up on figures and not drivability. Dyno plots and power figures dont mean a lot when the driver doesnt like the way the car drives or feels with the power delivery.

Im not trying to belittle such giants as MTM or Oettinger , but perhaps highlighting that NZ has a much different set up to larger countries when it comes to tuning and therfore we need a more personal and hands-on approach.

VW Golf MK6 Gti, Black