PROJECT CAR: Rolf the Golf

Started by Thomas, September 04, 2010, 08:09:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thomas

People have been asking so its about time I started a thread for my car 'Rolf'. I bought him as my first car back in 2007 when I was 15. From a family friend, and had only 114,000km. It had a damaged water pump and a broken radiator, and no oil in it. I found a water pump and a Haynes Manual on trademe and set to work, turns out the radiator was fine and no damage had been done to the engine due to the lack of oil. Had toyed with the idea of selling the car, but could never let him go. Been  let down a couple times and cost a bit of money here and there, but all in all I?ve been very happy with it as a first car. Here?s some pic?s.

With big bumpers

Photo night, (will need to do it again once this is all done coons)

This project will only go as fast as my budget allows, aiming to have the engine in the car and running some time after New Years at the latest. Anyhow as this is a project thread let?s get to the pictures.

Having never really done any core engine work it seemed a bit steep but I decided it was something that would be valuable learning. I started by removing and degreasing as much as possible while leaving the bottom end intact.

Awesome degreasing tray

Covering up the top of the block for degreasing

Thomas

Block being degreased

Cleaned up the engine head. Very happy with it.

Block clean again

Then i got a nice package from England (thanks GSF)

Oh and um wiring?  ??? ??? ???

Thomas

Engine Head Completed  ;D

Bottom Side

Top Side

Lifters all bleed and ready

And the head back in place.

This is pretty much where im at with the engine at the moment. Will be doing another order from GSF in the comming weeks as i will be getting new head bolts and a timing belt. In the mean time i will be working on the wheels and possibly my audio setup.

choppy16v

Omes

Good ol GSF car parts, I used to order from them frequently when I was there! so well priced, them and Euro Car Parts.
'77 MK1 Golf GTI - Current restoration project

'89 MK2 Golf GTI 8V - Fully restored

'97 MK3 Golf VR6 Highline - Supercharged

'06 MK5 Golf GTI DSG - Family daily duties

Thomas

Quote from: Omes on September 04, 2010, 10:23:33 PM
Good ol GSF car parts, I used to order from them frequently when I was there! so well priced, them and Euro Car Parts.

Absolutely, i e mailed them cause they didn't have a couple parts i wanted (website don't get updated) been e mailing a guy called Tyrone basically sorted me out with everything, even called me from the UK and did the entire order then and there, choice store and great customer service.

Thomas

Quote from: choppy16v on September 04, 2010, 10:02:05 PM
rolfs rad  8) awesome work mate!!

Cheers man, hoping to have something as rad as the track weapon some day  ;D

Omes

sweet as, how good is that calling all the way from the UK!

Hey I think you live just a few streets away from me, Ive seen your mk2 parked up by the park eh.
'77 MK1 Golf GTI - Current restoration project

'89 MK2 Golf GTI 8V - Fully restored

'97 MK3 Golf VR6 Highline - Supercharged

'06 MK5 Golf GTI DSG - Family daily duties

Thomas

Quote from: Omes on September 05, 2010, 10:10:24 AM
Hey I think you live just a few streets away from me, Ive seen your mk2 parked up by the park eh.

Yep lived directly next to the park all my life. What street you live on?

coons

Bout time you got a thread for this Thomas! I'll have to pop round some time and have a gander  ;)

Thomas

Quote from: coons on September 05, 2010, 11:49:15 PM
Bout time you got a thread for this Thomas! I'll have to pop round some time and have a gander  ;)

Alguds dude, pm me if you don't have my number

LVDUB

good stuff bro, i love seeing pics of projects cars and the steps peeps take :D keep it up...

Thomas

Ok so the project took a very small step forward today, the cars rego is up and i finally put it on hold (3 months) as i now have another car to drive.

Have acquired most of the parts to get the first half of this build done, still need to get the mega squirt ecu however.

I also have a couple questions, that im hoping some of you will be able to help with. Firstly, wondering if i can use the power steering pump from the current 1.8 digifant engine? I hoping it will be a straight and simple bolt onto the abf engine, and just use a slightly shorter belt. The other question i have is that i think i may have made a small mistake with the engine rebuild, when i got the engine back i put the head back on with the gasket, and just sat the lifters in. The other night i was reading the haynes manual on the mk3 abf, and i think it said something along the lines of do not places the lifters on different valves, is this correct? At the moment i cant get about half of the lifters out of the head argh! The next step will be torquing down the head when the new head bolts arrive in a couple of days, my dad said it would be a good idea to put some oil on the cams as i put them in which i agree with so will do that aswell. I think i have all the sensors to run the mega squirt apart from the temp sensor. So soon it will all be go and hopefully once uni is over (5 weeks) i can start pulling the other engine out and putting the abf in.

When internet speeds up i will post some more pics up of other stuff, that will be being added to the car

mark2 golf

it is better to put them back were they were but in theory they should be all the same. but it is good practice.
as for you power steering the 8v pump should bolt in to the ABF housing and use the ABF pulley and all should be well.

good to hear you are megasquirting. i can get yours going and them help me with mine.

keep up the good work
Mark
89 mk2 1.8t
97 mk3 gti 1.8t
90 190e 2.6
17 Amarok v6
09 golf gti

Thomas

Quote from: mark2 golf on September 15, 2010, 10:18:03 PM
it is better to put them back were they were but in theory they should be all the same. but it is good practice.
as for you power steering the 8v pump should bolt in to the ABF housing and use the ABF pulley and all should be well.

good to hear you are megasquirting. i can get yours going and them help me with mine.

keep up the good work
Mark

Cheers mate, the lifters actually seem fine once there in just hard to get out, i guess they will wear into place again, but yep next time will make a note of there placing. Sweet when i pull the engine out i will save the power-steering, just need to sort what pulleys etch i need, appears i will need a different one for the water pump now.

Thomas

Where im up to at the moment, hope to have the engine out tonight if not this weekend. Also torquing down the head bolts tonight.

washed him

then dismantled

progress is slow as Ive never done anything like this before and im doing this after work and uni each day, but great learning, really enjoying it all, apart from all the skin off my knuckles  ;D

mark2 golf

the more you do it the faster your hands heal :)
89 mk2 1.8t
97 mk3 gti 1.8t
90 190e 2.6
17 Amarok v6
09 golf gti

Thomas

Quote from: mark2 golf on September 24, 2010, 07:11:11 AM
the more you do it the faster your hands heal :)

Nar i just decided to be a puff and wear gloves.

I have the engine almost out, but i cant get the cv joints undone, its not a 6mm allen key, my next guess is its one of those bloody star things. Anyone able to shed some light on this?

coons

Yea they are torx? heads I think they're called

chis

yup as above!
go buy a spline drive bit
dont try and use allen key ar youll shear it and then youll be pissed
formerly mk1 gti
currently gti engineering mk2 which got ABF'd!
B5 S4
B5 RS4