Is there a market for Lupo GTI's in NZ?

Started by RS ZWEI, September 14, 2010, 07:41:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RS ZWEI

Ive been thinking about buying a Lupo GTI. My idea would be to own one for around 6 months to get the Lupo GTI bug out of my system.
Resale wise do you think there is a market for these little cars in New Zealand?
Phil, Lupi, have you guys ever had anyone offer to buy either of your Lupo GTI's?
1980 VW Golf GTI Track Car
1995 Audi RS2
2003 Mini Cooper S (Written off - rear ended)
2005 Mini Cooper S
2006 Skoda Octavia vRS Combi
2009 Renault Megane 230 R26 (Written off - rear ended)
2013 Renault Megane RS265 Redbull RB8

Filx

I doubt you'll get it out of your system in 6 months  :D They're a great deal more fun than most modern VWs (trying to be as uniased as possible).

My take on the market is they'll be a lot more popular in the $10-15K bracket than a few years ago where not many people would part with $20K+ for a small car. Having said that the interior room is ample - it's really just the boot space and fuel tank that is tiny.

What you're up against from a resale perspective is the fact that they're largely unknown in NZ so not many people realise what they're getting for their money. Overseas where they have a bit of a cult following of course there's always people out looking for them. But down here you'd have to find a fan and that might be harder.

As it appears they still meet NZ import regulations I wouldn't be surprised to see whole heap turn up in the next 6-12 months as they're getting to that age/mileage where they get replaced in Japan so prices will drop. Though good ones in Japan still seem to fetch close to Y1M - cheap ones though can be a lot less. The good thing about having more of them here is more people will learn what they are and they feel like less of an orphan, which I would expect will mean they end up with a bit of a following here as well so your resale chances are better.

In the early days when we had ours more people were interested in what they were than actually buying it - though we had a few casual comments like, "oh if you ever sell it let me know...." - but no hard cash offers.

They're not for everyone but if you like them they are addictive - and it's nice to drive something that is a bit unique and fun. My wife daily drives hers including for the last 16 months with baby, pram, shopping etc. Though realistically our time wth the car might be drawing to a close soonish if the family expands a bit more.

So my advice is don't worry about resale - go out there and grab one and have some fun. If it's only 6 months then you'll have a blast and then flick it on - you won't lose much (if anything) if you buy sensibly and you're only young once!
FAIL - First Attempt In Learning

spooln

Gotta say white with grey D90s is seriously the money. Perhaps Nik should offer the RS2 as a 3 month exchange...what do you think Filx?
77 CS1 Fiat Spider. 78 Mk1 Scirocco. 83 Mk1 GTI. 12 Abarth 595C Competizione. 18 Golf R. 20 Kodiaq vRS

Filx

I'm sure we could work something out  >:D

Mmmm D90s on Lupos are the shizzz - I have some D90s in need of a home as well  8). What a shame 4 --> 5 stud adapters are illegal in NZ.

CBRT

Quote from: Filx on September 14, 2010, 02:01:31 PM

Mmmm D90s on Lupos are the shizzz - I have some D90s in need of a home as well  8). What a shame 4 --> 5 stud adapters are illegal in NZ.

change the hubs .....  ;D
2013 MK7 GTI
2003 Audi RS6 Avant

Filx

True, true... might do that for bigger brakes. But then at the same time if you have bigger brakes it would be a shame not have a 1.8T in there. And then..... oh wait, what - I see what you did there  :laugh:

CBRT

Quote from: Filx on September 14, 2010, 02:19:21 PM
True, true... might do that for bigger brakes. But then at the same time if you have bigger brakes it would be a shame not have a 1.8T in there. And then..... oh wait, what - I see what you did there  :laugh:

Boom! Yeah what BHP are they standard?
2013 MK7 GTI
2003 Audi RS6 Avant

RS ZWEI

Quote from: Filx on September 14, 2010, 02:01:31 PM

Phil, Ive been into some houses that have the hallway is full of book shelves and books. I imagen in your house the hallway is floor to sealing with quality rims ;)

1995 Audi RS2
2005 Mini Cooper S

RS ZWEI

Quote from: spooln on September 14, 2010, 01:24:26 PM
Gotta say while with grey D90s is seriously the money. Perhaps Nik should offer the RS2 as a 3 month exchange...what do you think Filx?

Haha, no isofix in the RS2 though Neil (guessing that Phil uses isofix).
1995 Audi RS2
2005 Mini Cooper S

Filx

Quote from: ballin on September 14, 2010, 02:21:15 PM
Boom! Yeah what BHP are they standard?

125bhp - the fun part is ripping through the 6 speed box though.

Quote from: Golfboy666GTI on September 14, 2010, 02:22:20 PM
Phil, Ive been into some houses that have the hallway is full of book shelves and books. I imagen in your house the hallway is floor to sealing with quality rims ;)

Hahhaaa, I like to call it a feature of the house. It adds character. No D90s on Lupo for me though - working on 4 stud goodness for that car. D90s might get sold if anyone is after a set?

Quote from: Golfboy666GTI on September 14, 2010, 02:24:03 PM
Haha, no isofix in the RS2 though Neil (guessing that Phil uses isofix).
True. I'm all about safety as you know.

spooln

Quote from: Filx on September 14, 2010, 02:19:21 PM

Would a 1.8t bolt up in there ok Filx, as potentially a giant killing formula there?
77 CS1 Fiat Spider. 78 Mk1 Scirocco. 83 Mk1 GTI. 12 Abarth 595C Competizione. 18 Golf R. 20 Kodiaq vRS

Filx

No not a bolt in as such - needs some fab work on engine mounts. But it is a super popular mod overseas. As you say though, the formula is awesome even at 200HP (i.e a chipped 1.8T) and 970kg it would be a lot of fun.

However if I was going to do it I'd just start with a 1.4 donor car - they'll be coming up more often as they drop cambelts, or the auto dies and aren't worth fixing. Sure you miss out on the GTI wideguards and trim - but what you save on the donor car goes a long way to completing the conversion.

lupi

Everyone loves my little Lupo. I think that they'll have a following over here. I've had mine on TM to see if anyone bites. Had a few offers but nothing that would get me out of that little car. Flix is right, you'll get addicted to it! I'd love a white one....

phil

Filx

Yep - basically the same motor as 6N2 Polo GTI. Their advantage is the close ratio 6 speed - though some people argue the amount of shifting you do negates the gearing advantage. I've never driven a 5 speed Polo GTI so hard to say but I think the 6 speed is really nicely geared, keeping it on the boil through 2/3/4th is really easy and enjoyable.

RS ZWEI

I just looked at the red Lupo GTI's ad:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Cars/Volkswagen/Lupo/auction-316927748.htm

It stats: "Auction grade 4. In Transit. ( On Hold) Deposit received for this!"

So I guess that one is pretty much sold.

1995 Audi RS2
2005 Mini Cooper S

80 Vert

2010 T5 Transporter TDI  Tuned by Superior Tuning NZ
2003 Jetta Coupe soon to be R36TT
1991 Golf GTI 2.0 TSI swapped
1963 Type 34 Karmann Ghia, turbo 2.0
1990 Porsche 964 911 Carrera 4
1980 1303 Beetle vert, under restoration

RS ZWEI

Quote from: 80 Vert on September 19, 2010, 04:59:08 PM
Good buying that that price.

Im still dealing with the one Im interested in. My brother went to check it out for me on Saturday and as it turns out it isnt quite the condition it was discribed to me as. None of its major, little things like missing front tow hook covers and some scratches in the paint. Im glad I didnt take the owners word for condition and purchase it sight unseen. Still its nothing money cant sort out.

1995 Audi RS2
2005 Mini Cooper S

80 Vert

The biggest hassle with the missing covers is that they need painting in body colour.
Scratches in the paint can be buffed out provided they are not too deep, still sounds awfull cheap at the price you mentioned though.
JUST DOOOO IIIIIT NIK!!!!!!  ;D
2010 T5 Transporter TDI  Tuned by Superior Tuning NZ
2003 Jetta Coupe soon to be R36TT
1991 Golf GTI 2.0 TSI swapped
1963 Type 34 Karmann Ghia, turbo 2.0
1990 Porsche 964 911 Carrera 4
1980 1303 Beetle vert, under restoration

RS ZWEI

Oh, and another thing that was missing is the tyre pump (no spare wheel in the GTI). How hard would it be to find a replacement one of those?

1995 Audi RS2
2005 Mini Cooper S