Golf GTI vs Audi A3 2.0T

Started by 106_racecar, September 20, 2010, 12:24:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

106_racecar

I am starting to think about my next car purchase and have narrowed it down to a 2005/06 Golf GTI 5 door and the Audi A3 2.0T Sportback.

I haven't found a local 2.0T to drive as yet and I would be interested in people thoughts on back to back comparisons of the cars. Particularly around handling as I don't want too much of a step down from the S3.

The Audi appears to be better finished and have better boot space, but the GTI has better seats and more favourable write ups by Top Gear etc and then there is the DSG vs Manual question.  Also, from a quick look at trademe the 2.0T seems to be a better 2nd hand price too.
2007 Golf GTI

GLIDN

well I guess if you are up in auckland you are more than welcome to come past and I'll take you for a drive in my mk5 GTI manual.
PM if interested.

The biggest thing is do you want auto or manual? if manual. you can pretty much rule out a audi A3.

I think the Golf's boot is bigger, Unless it does not have the space saver. As the A3 only has the space saver option.
It's pretty much the same car. A3 tend to be looked upon as a girls car (sorry all the A3/S3 owners) where the golf seems to be the manlier version.

Golf parts are cheaper to buy and obtain than the A3 audi too.

Otherwise they are pretty much the same car. Same as the mk4/A3.

A Walk kit is a must imo. I have ordered mine just waiting for it to arrive so I can install it.
I have done a few changes on my car thus far.
Audi A4 DTM - K04 NZ New | All bolt-ons | Carbon Clean done
2012 MK6R Golf |Stage 3+ | Stage 4 DSG | Tuned & Built by HSP Tuning

06 GTi

Quote from: CBFWI on September 20, 2010, 01:32:57 PMA3 tend to be looked upon as a girls car (sorry all the A3/S3 owners) where the golf seems to be the manlier version.

I see an A3 2.0T Sportback on the motorway in the mornings, with a body kit - looks great, I don't think it looks girly.  And I absolutly love S3's, just not practical for me.

GLIDN

Lol I don't think they do either. I personally like the a3 turbo 5 door more than the golf.
Just saying the remarks I get from women when you say you drive an a3 or gti.

bunana

;D i only bought the 2.0t a3 over the mk5 gti cause it was a lil bit more quieter and was a LOT cheaper second hand at the time when i was buying it(3-4k) surprisingly! considering its a bit more expensive when brand new. I guess the mk5 gti's holds their value for longer?
But yes i would agree personally i love the mk5 gti shape a bit more than the a3
audi a3-8L 1.8T (sold)
audi a3-8P 2.0T (sold)
vw polo-mk5 1.2 tsi (sold)

106_racecar

Quote from: jojowx on October 19, 2010, 10:16:13 PM
;D i only bought the 2.0t a3 over the mk5 gti cause it was a lil bit more quieter and was a LOT cheaper second hand at the time when i was buying it(3-4k) surprisingly! considering its a bit more expensive when brand new. I guess the mk5 gti's holds their value for longer?
But yes i would agree personally i love the mk5 gti shape a bit more than the a3
It seems to be an interesting comparison as the Audi is better finished, has a better boot size and was more expensive new vs the Golf GTI that is 10k cheaper new but seems to be around 5k more for an equivalent Audi.  The front seats in the Golf GTI look to be a sportier seat too so I would prefer leather, but the surfaces on the Golf just don't seem to be up to the grade and what I might expect in a Skoda in which case a Skoda VRs could be a better choice.

I have a particular boot space requirement to carry stuff for kids so the AWD Golf R32 / A3 R32 is unlikely to fit the bill.
2007 Golf GTI

GLIDN

Quote from: 106_racecar on October 20, 2010, 12:17:26 PM
It seems to be an interesting comparison as the Audi is better finished, has a better boot size and was more expensive new vs the Golf GTI that is 10k cheaper new but seems to be around 5k more for an equivalent Audi.  The front seats in the Golf GTI look to be a sportier seat too so I would prefer leather, but the surfaces on the Golf just don't seem to be up to the grade and what I might expect in a Skoda in which case a Skoda VRs could be a better choice.

I have a particular boot space requirement to carry stuff for kids so the AWD Golf R32 / A3 R32 is unlikely to fit the bill.

If you are in the Auckland region, by all means we can catch up and you can have a look and comparison of a mk5 GTI anyway.
That will help with the aid of A3 or GTI.