would these fit my car ?

Started by 1234, September 24, 2010, 02:29:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hi guy's im
looking at some new wheels 18x8.5 and 18x9.5 for a Audi b5 a4 Quattro would they fit if i lipp and roll the gaurds ? if so what offset would i be looking at ?
im after a flush look and streched tyre's i have read that its not good for quattro's but if the Rolling diameter is within 3% it would be alright is this correct ? if running staggered is out of the question would 9.5's all round work if i ran a 215/40 or 215/45

wilco

I understand that its critical (that is, the same not plus or minus 3%) that all rolling diameters on a quattro are the same. I've fitted 17x8 BBS on my B5 A4 and seems to fit well with a bit of room yet.  However its std height and using 225/45-17.  I think 215's on a wider rim is wrong, but that's just me. Staggered is OK I reckon as long as rolling diameter is as close as you can get to being the same.  9.5" is getting out there though, I'd question why you'd need it.  I'm running little ol' 15x7's currently and haven't broken out yet.

Filx

You'll need to do a lot of forum/internet trawling to find a really good answer - I don't think anyone here will have fitted anything like that.

My personal take on it is you're maybe .5" too wide to make it "easy" - 8s and 9s would be simpler and still look cool - depends if you want to roll the lips or actually pull and reshape the gaurds. If it's more the latter then you can pull off pretty much anything so bit of a moot point.

At a bit of a guess I'd say you'll be in the ET15 to ET20 range at the back and ET25ish range at the front (with some negative camber). Probably the best thing to do is to fit some tyres, bolt the wheels on and check it out.
FAIL - First Attempt In Learning

qta4

Just take a close look at an RS4, wheel dimensions are just about right for me, but if you want to stretch it all a bit more, then just add your likes to the RS4 wheel.
It will surely tell you what will or wont fit.
Skill is, sucessfully tightrope walking across the Niagra Falls.
Intelligence is, having the sense not to do it.

Thanks guys ill do some hunting around on the interweb and see if i can find some positive info . i just want it to look different i don't mind lipping and pumping the guards . my thought are if i can match the rolling diameter as close as possible i might be in luck . i have seen a couple photos of some b5's overseas with 8.5 and 9.5 with stretched tyre's i sorta like the look .

These are the wheels if i went ahead with it i would get the face painted black or a darker colour

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=319760633

2nd option forget the wheel's and get the fuel system sorted

HaNs

Get your car fueled and mapped first, no point increasing the surface area of rubber before.

Assassin

I have 225/40r18's on my b5qtm, they are on 18" RS4 replicas. I had to downsize as the previous owner had 20"s on it..... (what were you thinking??) 18"s seem to be sweet, and 40 is enough side wall for comfort and control. I do drive hard tho, and when you load up in a corner sometimes you do get rub in the rear, especially with bodies in the back. At this point it really hasn't bothered me enough to go change it, but I do personally like the look of a full wheel well. I think it may be slightly lower than stock, so that is one thing I could change if it actually ended up bothering me that much...

Go see Zach at Precision Wheels. He used to work for Audi and knows his stuff. It's interesting hearing the inside story of factory vs replicas. He is based at 16 Enterprise St, Birkenhead - 09 4801045.

Talk to him nice and he should be able to do you a good price.

Filx

From Vortex here http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?3735762-The-Stance-Thread Quite interesting  - seems B5s can swallow some pretty wide wheels.

e.g.

BBS RF 3piece
Front 17x8.5 et 20 205/45/17
Rear 17x9.5 et 18 215/45/17

That is easier to pull off on 17s though than 19s.
FAIL - First Attempt In Learning