S3 members

Started by RS ZWEI, November 24, 2005, 05:09:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RS ZWEI

Nice to see we are getting a few more S3s.

What have you got and do you have any plans for them?
1980 VW Golf GTI Track Car
1995 Audi RS2
2003 Mini Cooper S (Written off - rear ended)
2005 Mini Cooper S
2006 Skoda Octavia vRS Combi
2009 Renault Megane 230 R26 (Written off - rear ended)
2013 Renault Megane RS265 Redbull RB8

VB

I have a 2001 nogaro blue which has an mtm chip. I'm loking at getting a milltek stainless exhaust for it subject to finances. :)

beeker

getting more common than WRX's !!

...maybe not

14 RS6 Avant Black
23 RS6 Performance avant on order
17 Q7 S Line 200kw
93 E36 M3 Targa Car
01 Porsche Boxster Series Race Car
17 Porsche 991.2 GT3 clubsport
94 DC2 Integra Targa/Track Race Car
13 TR86 race car
2018 Highlander
2017 Outback

S3NZ

I have a 2000 S3- standard at the moment. Will be getting the first stage Revo upgrade shortly and then possibly a Miltek exhaust after that.
There are a few more S3s in my neighbourhood recently, and more S4's around too. Becoming quite affordable, or maybe i just notice them more since buying mine.
2010 VW Golf GTI
2007 S3 (SOLD)
2000 S3 (SOLD)
1971 VW Beetle (OLD)

Lunar7

01 Imola Yellow.

Standard, want to do exhaust And Chip, but have to wait until we finish building the house.

the other choice is to trade it for a new Passat Variant....  The grey hairs are staring to effect my thinking

R32 Simon

2002 Imola Yellow. AMD one click, Miltek exhaust, cat removed, KN panel filter, H&R springs, 10mm wheel spacers, will be selling as soon as the new S3 is available in this country  :)

eddyg

Quote from: Golfboy666GTI on November 24, 2005, 05:09:25 PM
Nice to see we are getting a few more S3s.
What have you got and do you have any plans for them?

2002 Nogaro Blue S3 with "just a few" mods, in order of how much difference they made:

1) APR Serial Port Tune, Stock, 96 and 98 programs selectable from cruise control stalk
2) Haldex PreX controller. More torque to rear wheels, better tracking on corners.
3) KW Coilovers. Less floaty and more controllable around corners.
4) O.CT Front Mounted Intercooler. No drop in power on hot days or after sitting still for a while.
5) APR Cat-back exhaust. IMHO one of the better designed S3 exhausts, nice sound.
6) Samco intake tubes. Important insurance when upping the power.
7) K&N Panel Filter. Maybe no difference except more intake noise, which is sorta nice.

And I've thrown in a nice large screen fitted SatNav unit so that I don't get lost as I travel around NZ.

Problems with car:

1) Cold start issues, runs rough for 10-20secs started in last 6 months. Mechanic can't suss it out.
2) Synchro between 2nd and 3rd stuffed, can't do quick changes anymore, double declutch sometimes required.

I've had it since new, so I guess it's my fault about the synchro :(

Cheers, Ed.

VB

Quote from: R32 Simon on November 29, 2005, 08:55:50 AM
2002 Imola Yellow. AMD one click, Miltek exhaust, cat removed, KN panel filter, H&R springs, 10mm wheel spacers, will be selling as soon as the new S3 is available in this country? :)

Hi R32 Simon. How much difference did removing the cat make? Sounds a lot cheaper than getting a hi flow cat. ;D

eddyg

Quote from: HitmanGTI on November 29, 2005, 10:38:51 AM
1) change your plugs to new ones.. it instantly fixed my golf from unstable/Rough Idle..

2) You may need new gear box mounts.. as apparently if the mounts go you can have trouble getting in to certain gears.. apparently the gear box mounts that are another thing that are a peice of piss to fix..!!!

Thanks for the tips.

The mechanic did replace the plugs, unfortunately no difference. Because it is from cold it's not the oxygen or temp sensors. So the feeling at the moment is that there is a little bit of contamination on the MAF which stops having an effect as the MAF wire heats up. That would explain it only running rough for a few seconds and then being all-right again. I'm not going to spend $300 on a replacement MAF to test that theory out though! I tried giving it a clean, and it maybe a little better, difficult to say given that the weather is now better as well. For now I'll just live with it.

Good tip on the gearbox mounts, hadn't even considered that one. I did notice on other Audi forums that it is common for 2nd to 3rd synchro to go on S3's. Conjecture is that there is some sort of design flaw in the gearbox. Audi aren't interested. Rebuilds haven't always helped, which lends credibility to your mount theory.

Cheers, Ed.

R32 Simon

The cost of the cat replacement pipe was $300 fitted, it does make the S3 sound better, i did it before the one click was uploaded, we did notice a better throttle response, and with the miltek fitted I love the sound! I forgot to add on my upgrades that i put Samco hoses on, they really do work!

I have a flat spot between 2500 to 3000 any idea how to sort anybody?

hitmanGTI

My decat cost me 45 bux...

R32 Simon

You are such a wheeler dealer HitmanGTI, maybe with the money you saved with the cat pipe you can part with $75 you owe me for the Carbon air intake i sold to you

hitmanGTI

Quote from: R32 Simon on December 01, 2005, 09:31:00 AM
I have a flat spot between 2500 to 3000 any idea how to sort anybody?

Forge have some Replacement Wastegate Actuaters to allow you to get more boost by keeping closed for a bit longer..

I have Read a "Race N75J" valve does something similar. also giving you more boost as well..

VB

Quote from: R32 Simon on November 29, 2005, 08:55:50 AM
2002 Imola Yellow. AMD one click, Miltek exhaust, cat removed, KN panel filter, H&R springs, 10mm wheel spacers, will be selling as soon as the new S3 is available in this country? :)

What have you noticed with the wheel spacers have they halped handling much also where did you get your k&n panel filtre from as I'm keen to get one also. I'm sure you'll enjoy the new s3 when it comes out.

hitmanGTI

Quote from: VB on December 01, 2005, 01:52:28 PM
What have you noticed with the wheel spacers have they halped handling much also where did you get your k&n panel filtre from as I'm keen to get one also. I'm sure you'll enjoy the new s3 when it comes out.

I can probably help you out with the Panel Filter.. i sold one to Simon..

VB

hitmanGTI

Quote from: VB on December 01, 2005, 04:06:28 PM
Thanks.? :)

PM your contact Details and i will see if i can organsie you one for a good price..

Hyper Tyres has them for around 300 dollars..

Im sure i can get a substantial amount less..

the big pod intakes are noisy when your inside the car and arent overly pleasant

timmay

Crap! $300 for a K&N Panel Filter??? I only got mine for about $180 for partmaster (the one for the 1.8T in a Golf).
2001 Porsche Boxster S: Meridian Silver| De-Ambered | De-Snorkled Intake
2003 VW Golf R32 | 2009 BMW Z4 sDrive35i | 2007 BMW 130i SE MSport | 1999 Honda S2000 | 2003 Mazda RX8 Type-S | 2000 VW Golf GTi | 1998 Mazda MX5 RS

hitmanGTI

Quote from: timmayyyy on December 01, 2005, 05:30:26 PM
Crap! $300 for a K&N Panel Filter??? I only got mine for about $180 for partmaster (the one for the 1.8T in a Golf).

My uncles owns partmaster lol

The panel filters are all the same on our cars. Golf R32 Vr6 1.8t S3 2.0 etc etc etc

R32 Simon

Quote from: VB on December 01, 2005, 01:52:28 PM
I put the H&R 15mm on each wheel and you do notice a differance plus it makes the car look great!