A4 1.8T - Go Faster

Started by Audi-man, November 25, 2005, 02:17:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Audi-man

I've just purchased a 96 1.8T wagon and love it.

I know this question has been asked before but;

My main gripe is how slow it is off the lights. I feel like you have to 'floor it' to make the thing move. Once over 3K it's quite quick so I know the turbo?s fine. But off the lights it is painfully slow. I want to make the car have more 'pep', like when you drive a 'Jap turbo toy'.

On a moderate budget, and with durability in mind, can you guys suggest the best ways to make these things quicker and more peppy off the line. If I went down the road tomorrow what would chipping cost? What does a bigger turbo cost? Conti's said $4k to chip..........ouch!

Are there other fundamental enhancements I need to know about?

Can I have the phone number of Rex from Quadring please. He doesn't seem to exist under Google or in the white pages?

Are there any other Audi performance tuners in Auckland I need to know of?

Your help would be hugely appreciated.

Turbo

check under the topic "remapping in NZ"

http://www.vask.org.nz/index.php/topic,1937.0.html

there's a few bits of info there.

i reckon you're on the right track with chipping, the 1.8 is never really going to be massively quick off the line until the turbo kicks in, but the chip is definitely noticeable and makes the car more responsive.
There is still lag, but for anything other than burning off the line it's not an issue.
S3NZ trialled the REVO remap (just updates the software on your current ECU) and that's quite a bit cheaper than Giltrap or CCS with similar results (read the linked topic).

and Rex is now in the UK.

2000 S4, MTM stage 1, Oettinger RE's, Bilstein Sports, Vogtland springs, H&R Swaybars, DBA 4000 rotors, EBC Yellow stuff pads, 710N DV's, F1 tints, RS4 clutch

Dubious

If off-the-line power is what you want, I wouldn't worry about a bigger turbo. That would actually have an adverse affect giving you more lag, but more top-end power.
15 8V S3 APR Stage 1

Audi-man

Thanks for the re-mapping link. I will investigate the Revo option.

Audi-man

Is there a 'Rex equivalent independent tuner type person in Auckland now. If so, their details would be greatly appreciated.

hitmanGTI

Quote from: Audi-man on November 26, 2005, 06:42:32 PM
Is there a 'Rex equivalent independent tuner type person in Auckland now. If so, their details would be greatly appreciated.

There are people that can solder in the chips.. but i think that is about the extent of it

urq20v

I can still chip ECUs from the UK,you just have to send the ECU to me.Finding an extra ECU is the best option.I can send the chips too,you would need to find an expert solderer to do the swap though.
Rex

hitmanGTI

You can send chips??????

alrighty!

Period_Correct_

its' just a microchip, 14 pin i think!
1971 Porsche 911T | 1990 Audi Quattro Turbo | 2003 Audi RS6 Avant | 2009 Renault Megane R26

urq20v

The eeprom chip in the newer VAG cars is surface mount with around 64 minute pins!Much harder to work with than 28 pin eproms used in 5 cylinder turbo ECUs.

hitmanGTI

I know all about my car being millions and millions of pins lol

reminds me when i chipped my playstation lol

Audi-man

Hi Rex,

Thanks for responding. I really like the idea of you sending out the chip and me finding and expert solderer but will need some help as I'm a Forrest Gump' when it comes to doing anything under the hood. So;

1) How much for the chip? What will this do to the car's performance (i.e how much extra HP? and will it increase take off speed / mid range or top end?)

2) Do you know a good solderer in Alk I can talk to please.

I've read elsewhere that changing the wastegate to a TT improves the car. Can you explain in simple english how a TT sategate improves the performance of my car and who in NZ would do it for me.

I'd hugely appreciate your help with other mod's I can do with out turning the car into a 'hot rod'. Can you list some ideas and people to talk to in NZ please.

Can you increase the boost on the standard 1.8T turbo? I've heard mixed reports that they are too small to do this?

I guess what I need to ask is if you had a budget of say $3-5k to spend increasing the performance of a 96 1.8T over the next 1-2 years, what would you do and where would you go to do it? (this question is open to anyone)

Cheers...........

hitmanGTI

Quote from: Audi-man on November 28, 2005, 12:59:26 PM
Hi Rex,

Thanks for responding. I really like the idea of you sending out the chip and me finding and expert solderer but will need some help as I'm a Forrest Gump' when it comes to doing anything under the hood. So;

1) How much for the chip? What will this do to the car's performance (i.e how much extra HP? and will it increase take off speed / mid range or top end?)

2) Do you know a good solderer in Alk I can talk to please.

I've read elsewhere that changing the wastegate to a TT improves the car. Can you explain in simple english how a TT sategate improves the performance of my car and who in NZ would do it for me.

I'd hugely appreciate your help with other mod's I can do with out turning the car into a 'hot rod'. Can you list some ideas and people to talk to in NZ please.

Can you increase the boost on the standard 1.8T turbo? I've heard mixed reports that they are too small to do this?

I guess what I need to ask is if you had a budget of say $3-5k to spend increasing the performance of a 96 1.8T over the next 1-2 years, what would you do and where would you go to do it? (this question is open to anyone)

Cheers...........

Enlarge the Turbo

Turbo

Quote from: HitmanGTI on November 28, 2005, 02:04:21 PM
Enlarge the Turbo

as mentioned earlier that will only increase the lag he's experiencing.
you can increase the boost of the original turbos quite a bit, but the more you boost it the more wear and potential problems will occur. they are around 7psi stock, mine's boosted to about 12, but apparently they can handle a bit more (18-20psi?).

dunno if the wastegate (i assume the diverter valve) will increase performance much, a bad one can certainly hinder it, but if it's substantial increases you're looking for you want to chip it and put a freer flowing exhaust on it. (this will take care of your budget quite nicely i imagine, might have enough left over to fill it with 98 octane)

once you upgrade the turbo you have to be prepared to spend a bit of cash adapting everything else to support it.

2000 S4, MTM stage 1, Oettinger RE's, Bilstein Sports, Vogtland springs, H&R Swaybars, DBA 4000 rotors, EBC Yellow stuff pads, 710N DV's, F1 tints, RS4 clutch

hitmanGTI

Quote from: Turbo NotLo on November 28, 2005, 03:44:14 PM

dunno if the wastegate (i assume the diverter valve) will increase performance much

Wastegate and Turbo two separate things.....to do with completly different ends of the turbo..

the DV will kill lag between gearshifts..

No enlarge by getting the existing one worked slightly and have a bigger impela installed.. basically flow it harder i think is what mike wud say..

if you are so worried about initial lag... load the engine up slightly (ride the clutch) while giving it a bit of gas.. wont lag too much more..

I have no lag cos my turbo is so small... and i have a large boare down pipe..

On my dyno plot i was reading 8psi as soon as i throttled on... i dont know what the situation with down pipes are on your car... but i was the best and most effective 300 dollars i spent on my car..

the DV is a must if you are doing anything with the car or actually car about the health of your Turbo and rest of your Engine

If you want to go really fancy there are "Hybrid" turbos available all over the show ie EBay and miscellaneous other American tuners.. basicaly its half a K04 (Audi S3/RS4/RS6 Turbo) and half your existing (K03 Golf GTI and general 1.8t turbos) turbo it gives you a larger compressor wheel (as the existing K03 one is like a Straw)

There are lots of quick boosters available... believe me.. if i had the money i would have done them all...

ive done a few.. and am trying to nab a chip or bigger turbo !!!

For me however a big turbo would suit me fine.. i spend alot of time on throttle, and in lower gears to sit at higher revs...

Audi-man

Hitman GTi,

Where did you get the DV valve done and how much? I'm a bit nervious about a bigger exhaust (assume thats what you mean by down pipe) as I like quiet cars. But $300 pingers sounds pretty cheap for an exhaust.

P.s I spoke to Peter from Superchip today. He is coming up to Alk latter this week to give me a tryout on chipping the car for free. He reckons about an extra 30-40hp and 20% more torque. Cost quoted was $1700 (A little cheaper that Conti's $4k).

I'm looking forward to it. I'll let you know how it goes.

beeker

Quote from: Audi-man on November 28, 2005, 08:01:57 PM
Hitman GTi,

Where did you get the DV valve done and how much? I'm a bit nervious about a bigger exhaust (assume thats what you mean by down pipe) as I like quiet cars. But $300 pingers sounds pretty cheap for an exhaust.

P.s I spoke to Peter from Superchip today. He is coming up to Alk latter this week to give me a tryout on chipping the car for free. He reckons about an extra 30-40hp and 20% more torque. Cost quoted was $1700 (A little cheaper that Conti's $4k).

I'm looking forward to it. I'll let you know how it goes.

Superchip ?? Sounds a bit Dodgy. Stick with MTM, Revo, GIAC, AMD/Sportec, or Ottenger.

14 RS6 Avant Black
23 RS6 Performance avant on order
17 Q7 S Line 200kw
93 E36 M3 Targa Car
01 Porsche Boxster Series Race Car
17 Porsche 991.2 GT3 clubsport
94 DC2 Integra Targa/Track Race Car
13 TR86 race car
2018 Highlander
2017 Outback

Audi-man

I can't get a Revo as my car is a 96 A4 1.8T and Revo can only do 98's on. I don't know where to go for the others. Can you help?

Audi-man

Supposedly the Superchip guy has been around for a few years and done Audi's in the past. He was recommended by Revo when he said he couldn't do my car. You raise a good point about checking Mr Superchip out though, has anybody else come across this guy?

urq20v

In the early days of chipping,Superchips had a very bad reputation based on fake chips!Early Hitachi ECUs used in Audi 10v turbos could not be modified by fitting a remapped eprom but had to have external component changes on the circuit board to fool the sensor circuits.Superchips were caught out fitting blank chips on little auxilliary boards to make it look like they had been remapped using an eprom so they could justify the high price.
My understanding is that Superchips today is a different company (USA owned?) to the one above.Still for me,the name Superchips is forever tainted!