A4 Avant

Started by xring, November 27, 2010, 10:31:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xring

To be honest, I would like to get a Golf V6 4Motion, but there don't appear to be many for sale at present. Well, not at reasonable prices anyway.

Any idea what a re-map on the A4 1.8T would cost, and what sort of power/torque increase I could expect?
Polo GTI 2013
Bora MkIV V6 4motion - gone
Golf MkIV R32 - gone
Golf MkV GTI DSG - gone
Golf MkIV V6 4motion - gone
Golf MkIV V5 manual - gone
Golf MkV GTI manual- gone
Golf MkIV V5 - gone
Golf MkIII GLI - gone

Turbo

Quote from: Trofeo on December 03, 2010, 01:07:30 PM
at $9K for the 1.8T and $20K for the S4 it'd be a pretty damned expensive remapĀ  :o

ha, sorry, the A4's link didn't work for me. figured it must have been a B6 or B7 and relatively close in $ for you to be considering it - 12k vs 17k or something.

remap would typically get you to around 40-50hp and 50-80ft/lbs.
catback or catless exhaust another 10-12% on top?
how many k's has the A4 done? you'd probably also want to upgrade the suspension if it's done a few miles.
2000 S4, MTM stage 1, Oettinger RE's, Bilstein Sports, Vogtland springs, H&R Swaybars, DBA 4000 rotors, EBC Yellow stuff pads, 710N DV's, F1 tints, RS4 clutch

le mans

Quote from: xring on December 03, 2010, 05:20:07 PM
To be honest, I would like to get a Golf V6 4Motion, but there don't appear to be many for sale at present. Well, not at reasonable prices anyway.

Any idea what a re-map on the A4 1.8T would cost, and what sort of power/torque increase I could expect?
The 180hp engine should get around 190hp and 300nm with a remap. Cost would be around a grand I guess. They have cable driven throttles so not sure how many people could do it.

Turbo

2000 S4, MTM stage 1, Oettinger RE's, Bilstein Sports, Vogtland springs, H&R Swaybars, DBA 4000 rotors, EBC Yellow stuff pads, 710N DV's, F1 tints, RS4 clutch

xring

Polo GTI 2013
Golf MkIV R32 - gone
Golf MkV GTI DSG - gone
Golf MkIV V5 - gone
Golf MkIII GLI - gone

xring

Polo GTI 2013
Golf MkIV R32 - gone
Golf MkV GTI DSG - gone
Golf MkIV V5 - gone
Golf MkIII GLI - gone

the phantom

Quote from: xring on December 04, 2010, 01:35:15 PM
Any thoughts/comments on this.

www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Cars/Audi/A4/auction-334042539.htm

this black A4 looks nice, the red S3 looks too much boy racer/poser/w4nk3r

that said the A4 is probably thirstier
Land Transport New Zealand, taking the fun out of driving since August 2008

xring

Red is definitely NOT my colour of choice, but would at least have the sort of performance I am used to ...... or better. I could always wear dark glasses so people wouldn't recognise me
Polo GTI 2013
Golf MkIV R32 - gone
Golf MkV GTI DSG - gone
Golf MkIV V5 - gone
Golf MkIII GLI - gone

rambo_005

Golf/Bora V6 4motion is the best car in the price range IMO... overall package/spec for money is great.

le mans

Out of the choices listed I would go the A4. If you are specifically after a hot hatch then you could look at the S3. I thought you already had an R32 though anyway?

xring

Time to front up. The R32 was sold yesterday. A previous owner contacted me a few weeks ago to see if I would consider selling. He offered me what I paid for it. If I buy a car for around the cash figure I have ($12 - $12k) means I will be saving $48- per month on car finance. Seemed like the sensible thing to do.
Polo GTI 2013
Golf MkIV R32 - gone
Golf MkV GTI DSG - gone
Golf MkIV V5 - gone
Golf MkIII GLI - gone

djrisk

I dont see the point in getting a S3 if you just walked out of a R32, they are pretty much the same. You would need to chip the S3 for it to be as quick as the R32, but they are great fun. I loved my S3 before i stacked it. Make no mistake - the S4 will cost in maintenance if you do it properly, but the A4 wont exactly be cheap
Him - Amarok highline
Her - S3 8P

106_racecar

I have heard that the 2.7TT S4 is expensive to maintain too.  If I was looking now I would go towards an A4 1.8T rather than the S3.  Don't get me wrong I am happy with my S3 as it handles and goes fairly well, but the bigger boot would be quite useful and a 2001/02 A4 1.8T would be around the same price as the S3.  An S3 is more likely to have been ... how shall I put it ... driven enthusiastically too and as an example I had to do a gearbox rebuild at around 158,000kms due to worn synchros on 3rd and 5th. That said you might find a good S3.
2007 Golf GTI

Turbo

not sure why everyone says the S4 is more expensive to maintain.
seems on par with the A4 for me. actually i think the A4 cost me more - or at least had more issues.

actually, the S4 had a big bill of $1400 covered by warranty - new instrument cluster to sort the dead pixels in the data display.
so that could put it in the lead, but other than that it's been nothing majorly surprising. cambelt was the same price, control arms were about the same.
service was the same (when not going to giltraps).
i guess there's twice as much to go wrong in the engine (two turbos/ cylinder banks etc, but really not much in it in my experience.
and both my cars were chipped, so would expect they're a little bit more likely to go wrong than a stock version.

up to you what you go for, smart money would be to go for the A4, but don't be dissuaded by the perceived extra costs of an S4 if that's where your heart lies. in my research poll of one, there's not much between them, but perhaps i've just been lucky...?

xring

Thanks for all the help and comments guys. I actually bought a car yesterday ...... Take delivery this coming Saturday.
Polo GTI 2013
Golf MkIV R32 - gone
Golf MkV GTI DSG - gone
Golf MkIV V5 - gone
Golf MkIII GLI - gone

Turbo

rambo_005

Quote from: xring on December 06, 2010, 07:13:55 PM
Thanks for all the help and comments guys. I actually bought a car yesterday ...... Take delivery this coming Saturday.

Tell us now ;D

106_racecar

2007 Golf GTI

xring

Have a look on the 'what did you do to your VAG today' thread and all will be revealed.
Polo GTI 2013
Golf MkIV R32 - gone
Golf MkV GTI DSG - gone
Golf MkIV V5 - gone
Golf MkIII GLI - gone