Author Topic: Vagcom vs VCDS  (Read 3562 times)

Offline Fizz

• OEM+
  • ##
  • When I Said I'd Hit THAT, I Meant With My Car ;)
Vagcom vs VCDS
« on: December 25, 2010, 03:32:39 pm »
decided to vagcom the golf and do a TB alignment while I was at it. 4 some reason my old vagcom no longer works looks like Ross-tech have updated to new software called VCDS and dropped the name "vagcom" anyway long story short I can no longer use my old software even though it's registered comes up as shareware and also Ross tech no longer supports it and said I need to buy a new license 4 the new software. BTW I'm using a 3rd party cable. Anyone else come across this with their vagcom? or currently using the new VCDS? by the looks of it on their site it looks like u can do a heck of a lot more stuff now like check boost etc. not 2 sure how much of the new stuff is actually compatible with the old mk4's

Offline rambo_005

• Administrator
  • ####
Re: Vagcom vs VCDS
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2010, 04:38:43 pm »
I have VCDS and a proper Ross-Tech USB cable/dongle - updates regularly and all works well.

VCDS = Vag Com Diagnosic Software
Mk2 Golf VR6

Online le mans

• #
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2010, 01:06:16 pm »
I have a generic cable but it only works with the 409 (from memory) vagcom software. Still worked last time I used it. It's still able to log boost, timing, fuel injection etc. Proper Ross tech cable would be prefered as works with latest software but is several times the price. I guess I should go and check my software is still working!
01 B5 RS4, 95 P1 RS2, 00 B5 S4 Sedan facelift, 01 B5 A4 1.8TQ Avant Le Mans

Offline Fizz

• OEM+
  • ##
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2010, 02:50:44 pm »
I have a generic cable but it only works with the 409 (from memory) vagcom software. Still worked last time I used it. It's still able to log boost, timing, fuel injection etc. Proper Ross tech cable would be prefered as works with latest software but is several times the price. I guess I should go and check my software is still working!

yeah I have 409 as well. when I start it up it comes up as registered but when I try doing anything i then get a popup saying u need to activate it or something. When I check about it comes up saying it's shareware. I've tried un-install re-install still same issue. This is also still on the original laptop I first installed it on as i believe the license is tied to the machine.

Offline GLIDN

• ##
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2010, 08:30:39 am »
have you tried to do a calbe reset?
Basically telling VCDS which port it should be using?

I have genuine too. So if really issue. Let me know, we can do the TBA on your car after we tune your Radio.
Top Secret Project
Audi 4 DTM NZ New - Stock NZ New
 Vw Tiguan | Unitronic Stage 1 | Stage 2 DSG | Tuned by HSP Tuning

Offline BB

• ####
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2010, 01:04:39 pm »
Ive just had trouble with a cheap blue cable, didnt work for me or beeker but the real deal tho old school serial ross-tec cable has worked just fine.
 Of course they were going to try to brick the old blue dog lead.
 For use on 409 with a mk3 is about it i recon.
The end is nigh, but the end of what is the question?

Offline Fizz

• OEM+
  • ##
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2010, 12:54:38 pm »
Ive just had trouble with a cheap blue cable, didnt work for me or beeker but the real deal tho old school serial ross-tec cable has worked just fine.
 Of course they were going to try to brick the old blue dog lead.
 For use on 409 with a mk3 is about it i recon.

409 used to be fine on mk4 as well for basic stuff like viewing and clearing codes, logging and TB Alignment.

Offline BB

• ####
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2011, 12:16:39 pm »
But if you try the blue lead with the later vagcom i think it bricks the lead and it wont even work on the 409 anymore ;)
The end is nigh, but the end of what is the question?