Vagcom vs VCDS

Started by Fizz, December 25, 2010, 03:32:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fizz

decided to vagcom the golf and do a TB alignment while I was at it. 4 some reason my old vagcom no longer works looks like Ross-tech have updated to new software called VCDS and dropped the name "vagcom" anyway long story short I can no longer use my old software even though it's registered comes up as shareware and also Ross tech no longer supports it and said I need to buy a new license 4 the new software. BTW I'm using a 3rd party cable. Anyone else come across this with their vagcom? or currently using the new VCDS? by the looks of it on their site it looks like u can do a heck of a lot more stuff now like check boost etc. not 2 sure how much of the new stuff is actually compatible with the old mk4's

rambo_005

I have VCDS and a proper Ross-Tech USB cable/dongle - updates regularly and all works well.

VCDS = Vag Com Diagnosic Software

le mans

I have a generic cable but it only works with the 409 (from memory) vagcom software. Still worked last time I used it. It's still able to log boost, timing, fuel injection etc. Proper Ross tech cable would be prefered as works with latest software but is several times the price. I guess I should go and check my software is still working!

Fizz

Quote from: le mans on December 26, 2010, 01:06:16 PM
I have a generic cable but it only works with the 409 (from memory) vagcom software. Still worked last time I used it. It's still able to log boost, timing, fuel injection etc. Proper Ross tech cable would be prefered as works with latest software but is several times the price. I guess I should go and check my software is still working!

yeah I have 409 as well. when I start it up it comes up as registered but when I try doing anything i then get a popup saying u need to activate it or something. When I check about it comes up saying it's shareware. I've tried un-install re-install still same issue. This is also still on the original laptop I first installed it on as i believe the license is tied to the machine.

GLIDN

have you tried to do a calbe reset?
Basically telling VCDS which port it should be using?

I have genuine too. So if really issue. Let me know, we can do the TBA on your car after we tune your Radio.
Audi A4 DTM - K04 NZ New | All bolt-ons | Carbon Clean done
2012 MK6R Golf |Stage 3+ | Stage 4 DSG | Tuned & Built by HSP Tuning

BB

Ive just had trouble with a cheap blue cable, didnt work for me or beeker but the real deal tho old school serial ross-tec cable has worked just fine.
Of course they were going to try to brick the old blue dog lead.
For use on 409 with a mk3 is about it i recon.
The end is nigh, but the end of what is the question?

Fizz

Quote from: BB on December 28, 2010, 01:04:39 PM
Ive just had trouble with a cheap blue cable, didnt work for me or beeker but the real deal tho old school serial ross-tec cable has worked just fine.
Of course they were going to try to brick the old blue dog lead.
For use on 409 with a mk3 is about it i recon.

409 used to be fine on mk4 as well for basic stuff like viewing and clearing codes, logging and TB Alignment.

BB

But if you try the blue lead with the later vagcom i think it bricks the lead and it wont even work on the 409 anymore ;)
The end is nigh, but the end of what is the question?