97 1.8TQ Brakes - Over boosted?

Started by Rusty05, October 26, 2005, 04:16:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rusty05

Does any one besides me feel that their brakes are over boosted? My brakes are super sensitive and i wondered whether this was a trait of the car. The only other possibility is that the pad compounds are wrong... It takes bugger all pedal pressure to start pulling up hard, making "heel and toe-ing" a bit of a 'mare...

tempq18t

Mine feels alright, gentle braking for the start of the pedal and serious stopping happening when needed

Turbo

my 98's are fine, although the pads have been replaced and i don't know what with, but they were good when i got first got it too.
2000 S4, MTM stage 1, Oettinger RE's, Bilstein Sports, Vogtland springs, H&R Swaybars, DBA 4000 rotors, EBC Yellow stuff pads, 710N DV's, F1 tints, RS4 clutch

dj thumpa

My '98 brakes are nothing to get excited about, if anything they're a bit scary when trying to pull up from speed. Not sensitive at all. Not that you have to push the pedal to the floor, but certainly have to push it quite hard to receive heavy braking..? Im tempted to get 'em checked out actually.  :-\

beeker

14 RS6 Avant Black
23 RS6 Performance avant on order
17 Q7 S Line 200kw
93 E36 M3 Targa Car
01 Porsche Boxster Series Race Car
17 Porsche 991.2 GT3 clubsport
94 DC2 Integra Targa/Track Race Car
13 TR86 race car
2018 Highlander
2017 Outback

hitmanGTI

i thinks its cos they are single pot all round and come on violently down low.. and feel absolutly numb later on..

How ever

my brakes feel amazingly numb now since i changed to mintex pads..

The OEM pads seem to grab more

Mike

I have driven three different series 1 A4s (B5). They all had brakes that were very sensitive as you describe - in one case I braked for a speed camera and nearly gave myself whiplash.

I've seen it remarked upon in magazine articles as well, so I think it was a trait of the car when new but might have been improved later on after a recall or modification, or maybe you get used to it.

hitmanGTI

Quote from: Mike on November 28, 2005, 08:13:40 AM
I have driven three different series 1 A4s (B5). They all had brakes that were very sensitive as you describe - in one case I braked for a speed camera and nearly gave myself whiplash.

I've seen it remarked upon in magazine articles as well, so I think it was a trait of the car when new but might have been improved later on after a recall or modification, or maybe you get used to it.
You get used to it...

taupoq

My brakes improved after I flushed the fluid. Might have over cooked them a little at the last track day.......