Newbie Questions- 2000 A4 2.4 Quattro Tiptronic

Started by benji, December 05, 2005, 11:23:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

benji

Greetings to all.

I'm a new member, have been reading the forums for about 3 weeks to do a little research prior to buying.

I've just picked up a 2000 A4 2.4 Quattro Tiptronic. Looking around it seems that all the performance enhancing mods seem to be primarily aimed at the turbo A4's and I'm wondering if there are any mods to be done to non turbo cars.

I've seen brief mention of removing the catalytic converter and replacing the stock exhausts to gain some power, and I assume that this would improve a non turbo as well?
As you may have guessed I'm not very technical when it comes to motors :)
Also is their any advantage to be had be replacing the stock ECU (I'm assuming this is what's meant by chipping?).

Well any advice gratefully received.

Cheers

Ben

hitmanGTI

Changing exhaust removing cats etc will increase performance if done properly..

It will rev better etc etc..

If you remapp it get a new chip soldered in or flashed(via computer plug in car)

the engine generally will perform better.

You will have power gains.. not as huge as youwould from a turbod car thats been worked.. but gains nonethe less..

you could also get in to cam shafts etc etc which would make it go well too

beeker

Quote from: benji on December 05, 2005, 11:23:12 AM
Greetings to all.

I'm a new member, have been reading the forums for about 3 weeks to do a little research prior to buying.

I've just picked up a 2000 A4 2.4 Quattro Tiptronic. Looking around it seems that all the performance enhancing mods seem to be primarily aimed at the turbo A4's and I'm wondering if there are any mods to be done to non turbo cars.

I've seen brief mention of removing the catalytic converter and replacing the stock exhausts to gain some power, and I assume that this would improve a non turbo as well?
As you may have guessed I'm not very technical when it comes to motors :)
Also is their any advantage to be had be replacing the stock ECU (I'm assuming this is what's meant by chipping?).

Well any advice gratefully received.

Cheers

Ben

Very little can be done. Chip and Exhaust will only add a little.

Pimp it!! H&R Suspension and nice BBS wheels instead.

14 RS6 Avant Black
23 RS6 Performance avant on order
17 Q7 S Line 200kw
93 E36 M3 Targa Car
01 Porsche Boxster Series Race Car
17 Porsche 991.2 GT3 clubsport
94 DC2 Integra Targa/Track Race Car
13 TR86 race car
2018 Highlander
2017 Outback

benji

Thanks for the info so far.

I've also been suggested that boring out the throttle body will add some performance. Has anybodsy tried this?

Cheers

B

Period_Correct_

Quote from: benji on December 12, 2005, 04:55:36 PM
Thanks for the info so far.

I've also been suggested that boring out the throttle body will add some performance. Has anybodsy tried this?

Cheers

B

not much tho!
1971 Porsche 911T | 1990 Audi Quattro Turbo | 2003 Audi RS6 Avant | 2009 Renault Megane R26

robh

don't mean to be rude but ditch the 2.4 and get a 1.8T if you want to tune it.  you're not going to get anything worthwhile trying to tune the audi 2.4, you'll be chucking money down the drain.  or if you really like the v6 get the 2.8
Daily Driver - VW Touareg V8 TDI 2012 "towing beast"
Too Many Cars - Lotus Elise S 2013 "tangerine dream"
Project Car - Golf VR6 Turbo "built not bought"
Wifes - Audi S4 Avant 2012 "I want a white car that sounds nice"

hitmanGTI

Dude you have bought a nice car..

Lower it a wee bit put some really nice wheels on in..

Dont try and race it..

Its V6... its Auto.. Its a Cruiser... Its cool.. Maybe get a nice exhaust made up for it.. and it will be nice

1.8t

I would have to agree with the others, if you are keen to make it faster pick up a tq or maybe a 3.0q but i think they are quite expensive.

Spend your money on suspension, wheels and as anton said maybe a exhaust if you can :)

Money well spent IMO :)
Dudlee the 86 318i
Past.. 95 328i M Coupe, 97 Pug 306, 97 Vento

benji

Thanks for the feedback.

As I don't intend to do any "racing" the power increase is not a major, but any increase for a reasonable amount of $ is worthwhile.

I've been looking into new wheels and have taken a shine to the B7 RS4 replicas. There are a few manufacturers so I'll do some research, here's one option below:

http://www.fourtitude.com/news/publish/Industry_Tuner_News/article_1799.shtml

I'd love a 3.0 V6 Q but that'll have to wait till next year :)

Cheers

B

Audi-man

Bolt-on exhaust from Road Race and Rally - $2,500

Sports springs from Road Race and Rally - $650

New Engine mgmt system and fuel pump from Gary Capper Motorsport approx. $1,500 - $3,500.

All these will make it go a little better!