Need advice on S3 purchase

Started by tintinz, September 27, 2005, 03:47:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tintinz

Hi

am looking at buying an Audi S3 privately and would like any help with information regarding S3's and what to look out for with things that go wrong with used models. The year I am looking at is 2000 facelift model. Also when do the S3's need there cambelt  done (Kilometers wise) and does anyone know how much it would cost?

thanks in advance

Tin

robh

Daily Driver - VW Touareg V8 TDI 2012 "towing beast"
Too Many Cars - Lotus Elise S 2013 "tangerine dream"
Project Car - Golf VR6 Turbo "built not bought"
Wifes - Audi S4 Avant 2012 "I want a white car that sounds nice"

tintinz

Ignore Rob he never works ... appreciate it if you get back to work or I will tell your boss!

eddyg

Quote from: tintinz on September 27, 2005, 03:47:07 PM
Hi

am looking at buying an Audi S3 privately and would like any help with information regarding S3's and what to look out for with things that go wrong with used models. The year I am looking at is 2000 facelift model. Also when do the S3's need there cambelt? done (Kilometers wise) and does anyone know how much it would cost?

thanks in advance

Tin

Check out the following:

1) Surging in 1st gear, happens to lots of people a few years in. lots of reasons why, no single easy fix.
2) Rust in the bottom of the doors
3) Cold start issues (related to (1))
4) Synchro loss issues between 2nd and 3rd gear, need to double de-clutch

I have 1, 3, and 4. Can't blame anyone, I had it from new..

The cambelt change is in the manual, don't have mine handy to check at the moment though, sorry.

Cheers, Ed.

tintinz

Thanks Ed for this advice

am actually going to arrange to look at the S3 its on trademe ... so wish me luck

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Cars/Audi/auction-36109626.htm check it out let me know what you think

cheers
Tin

eddyg

Quote from: tintinz on September 28, 2005, 08:44:34 AM
Thanks Ed for this advice

am actually going to arrange to look at the S3 its on trademe ... so wish me luck

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Cars/Audi/auction-36109626.htm check it out let me know what you think

cheers
Tin

Try and get one MY2002 onwards if you can so that you get the 225hp engine. Also make sure that it is tunable via the serial port tune, older S3's require the ECU to be soldered. I'm also not sure if the older S3's have xenon lights. The bose in dash stereo is rather nice as well, even if the sound does suck a little after a while.

A quick way of spotting a newer S3 is that the logo on the front grill is an S3 rather than the // symbol with a small S3 in it.

Cheers, Ed.

tintinz

Hi Ed

thanks for the further information and after looking at the pics of the car further on trademe I am afraid that it is the older model with the // symbol on the grille even tho it is a facelift model with the chrome mirror. Will check if it has Xenon headlights and weigh up if I want to go look at it.

I was also told about tuning via the serial port at http://www.revotechnik.com/ so the information you provided above was great

cheers again
Tin

Lunar7

Hi,

there are actully 3 versions of the S3, the one that you are looking at on trade me is the 1st release,

There is a 2nd facelift with the new headlights & the 210Kw, which ran through to late 01 possibly 02

then came the 225Kw which looks the same but had more power, normally 02 models

RS ZWEI

Quote from: Lunar7 on October 04, 2005, 10:55:24 AM
Hi,

there are actully 3 versions of the S3, the one that you are looking at on trade me is the 1st release,

There is a 2nd facelift with the new headlights & the 210Kw, which ran through to late 01 possibly 02

then came the 225Kw which looks the same but had more power, normally 02 models

You mean BHP not KW?
1980 VW Golf GTI Track Car
1995 Audi RS2
2003 Mini Cooper S (Written off - rear ended)
2005 Mini Cooper S
2006 Skoda Octavia vRS Combi
2009 Renault Megane 230 R26 (Written off - rear ended)
2013 Renault Megane RS265 Redbull RB8

12ax7

Yes I have the 210HP 2001 facelift - this is really an early 2002, as Audi traditionally feeds in updates ealrier than advertised as parts run out and also due to meeting seasonal launch dates. This newer version has significantly different suspension set up amongst other changes from the early model in the ad. The handling is significantly improved over the early model. . Also I believe some of the early mechanical issues had been resolved by then.

The first TRUE facelifted versions were registered in late 2001, mine was November. I suspect the one advertised merely has chrome mirrors ordered as an option. 

RS ZWEI

Quote from: 12ax7 on October 04, 2005, 06:51:28 PM
Yes I have the 210HP 2001 facelift - this is really an early 2002, as Audi traditionally feeds in updates ealrier than advertised as parts run out and also due to meeting seasonal launch dates. This newer version has significantly different suspension set up amongst other changes from the early model in the ad. The handling is significantly improved over the early model. . Also I believe some of the early mechanical issues had been resolved by then.

The first TRUE facelifted versions were registered in late 2001, mine was November. I suspect the one advertised merely has chrome mirrors ordered as an option.?

12ax7, off topic, are you into your rotarys? Im was trying to figure out what your user name was about. 12a RX7? Am I right?
1995 Audi RS2
2005 Mini Cooper S

Period_Correct_

Quote from: Golfboy666GTI on October 04, 2005, 08:39:01 PM
12ax7, off topic, are you into your rotarys? Im was trying to figure out what your user name was about. 12a RX7? Am I right?

lol, thats the first thing i thought!
1971 Porsche 911T | 1990 Audi Quattro Turbo | 2003 Audi RS6 Avant | 2009 Renault Megane R26

tintinz

so decision time .... shall I go look at this S3 from trademe?? or tell the guy that his S3 isn't a facelift model based on the information given above hmmmmmmm

thanks guys\Gals

Tin

RS ZWEI

Quote from: tintinz on October 05, 2005, 08:54:03 AM
so decision time .... shall I go look at this S3 from trademe?? or tell the guy that his S3 isn't a facelift model based on the information given above hmmmmmmm

thanks guys\Gals

Tin

Have you spoken to the owner? Do you know what he wants for it?
1995 Audi RS2
2005 Mini Cooper S

12ax7

12ax7 is a tube - into audio, the best gear is tube or valve based.

If you dont mind the older model the S3 in question is a reasonable price in my opinion with reasonable k's - however you might like to make a silly offer given that it is not the facelift model and it has now been sitting around. I would want to see the service records - if it has been serviced by an Audi approved dealer then they should be able to provide details on all service work. You may also want to consider offering subject to independent check by Gilltraps. For your info I know a dealer who traded a 1 yr old S3 225hp with 8k for $45k !   Known weaknesses are coils, ball joints ( back ), gearbox particlularly 2-3 change   

tintinz

No have not spoken to the owner yetso will give him a call and see how negotiable he is on the price based on fact that it is not a facelift model. Can you get a mechanical warranty from an Audi dealer? I think they call it the silver circle? or do you have to buy the car from a dealer to qualify for this?

gti vr6

Xenon lights are a curse to other drivers and should be banned!!

W*nk factor times four!!

:( :( :( :( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(
1986 Mk2 Scirocco
2021 T6.1 4M LWB Transporter Trendline