Does anyone have any experience fixing rear window heater elements?

Started by coons, December 15, 2011, 06:27:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coons

A couple of lines on the heater element in the glass that came out of my project Mk3 don't work. $850 for a replacement piece of glass  :o

Anyone have any experience using metalic touch up paint to repair breaks? Apparently you can zone in on the break by testing the resistance (or voltage? I can't remember which it was) with a multimeter

Gordo

About to suggest the same thing - DSE or Jaycar may be able to supply them if you can't get one at Repco or some other auto parts store.
These are my thoughts and opinions - sometimes I'm wrong, but not often ;-)

elliott2705

Sam its fairly easy to find the break with a multimeter, you're testing for the resistance, but the paint is very expensive. Repco wanted over $100 for the kit. But mine needs doing too and i'll go halves with you if you want.

Gordo

Check at Jaycar or Dick Smith - the same type of pen is used for repairing printed circuit boards.

Silver - which should be fine for repairing breaks, rather than making a new track - http://www.jaycar.co.nz/productResults.asp?keywords=NS3033&keyform=KEYWORD&SUBMIT.x=0&SUBMIT.y=0

There's also Farnell and other electronics suppliers.

You want a "conductive pen", IIRC.

coons

Alright first I will have a go finding the breaks, then I will go from there. Could be keen to go halves on whatever the product is Elliot

the phantom

Land Transport New Zealand, taking the fun out of driving since August 2008

80 Vert

2010 T5 Transporter TDI  Tuned by Superior Tuning NZ
2003 Jetta Coupe soon to be R36TT
1991 Golf GTI 2.0 TSI swapped
1963 Type 34 Karmann Ghia, turbo 2.0
1990 Porsche 964 911 Carrera 4
1980 1303 Beetle vert, under restoration

coons

Bought a kit today and patched it up this morning. However unfortunately it still doesn't work..
I'll remove it with some spirits and try again painting on a longer strip. Failing that I'm not sure what else to try  ???

Assuming I get it finished and working, Elliot are you interested in the kit after?

coons

What a crock of crap. I just put some current through the patch left over from where I was mixing the stuff (about as round and thick as a 20c piece) and it doesn't conduct electricity..
I'll ring the number on the back of the package tomorrow and see what they have to say

deedub

Quote from: coons on December 29, 2011, 08:22:44 PM
What a crock of s**t. I just put some current through the patch left over from where I was mixing the stuff (about as round and thick as a 20c piece) and it doesn't conduct electricity..
I'll ring the number on the back of the package tomorrow and see what they have to say

How did you test for conductivity? I'd be interested if you get it working, couple of bars on my rear window don't seem to work either.
1983 T25 Microbus - keep forever, never finish
1988 mk2 Golf 2L 16v - work in progress

Gordo

Quote from: coons on December 29, 2011, 08:22:44 PM
What a crock of s**t. I just put some current through the patch left over from where I was mixing the stuff (about as round and thick as a 20c piece) and it doesn't conduct electricity..

How did you check it? depending on the specific product, it will have some resistance as otherwise you could be looking at a direct short.
As for the traces on the screen, it may have had a thin protective coating on it that may need to be cleaned off.

GTI's

I've seen how they make the heated screens for race cars.
Just epoxied element wire. been thinking of doing my mk1 front screen...

Far4ngn

Think I had to scratch a little of the coating away and repair it with a similar kit   :o ... must have been lucky as mine worked.  Don't you also get some very thin tin foil type material too?  Must admit its a complete pain!
Sold - Mk 5 Golf GTI White, Audi S3 8L Red, Mk4 Golf GTI 1.8T Silver, Black, Jazz Blue, Mk3 6N Polo, Mk2 Golf GTI 16v Black, Red x2, Mk2 Golf GTI 8v Black, Mk2 Scirocco GTII Silver 2dr, Mk2 86c Polo Breadvan and Coupe

coons

I just made a break in the 12v circuit I was using to power the window elements and used the mixed patch of the silver epoxy to complete the circuit. But the circuit is dead when testing it with a multimeter

Gordo

Ah, that wouldn't work - use an Ohmmeter to check the resistance

coons

Why would that not work? No joy testing resistance on it either though

coons

Feck it. Ended up using a fine tipped soldering iron to bridge the breaks. Worked a treat and you would be none the wiser to the fact it has been repaired.

If anyone wants to give the kit ago they can grab it off me and try it, otherwise I'll probably bin it. Waste of money..