New member. Touran 2005 7 seaters

Started by htra024, January 24, 2011, 11:22:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

htra024

Hi all,

Im new here and first time own Volkswagen. I would have a few questions please.

1: I concern of lowering the 7 seaters Touran for the sporty look with 18" or 19" wheels. However, I wonder the comfort, handle and the difficulties of the car to drive as my partner isnt a good and skill driver.  I got an offer for the H&R spring for 35mm drop. With this H&R spring and 7 people loaded in the car all the time, please suggest whether the wheels would touch the guard easily? How badly and hardly the speedbump and driveway are? Finally, please suggest should I lower the car or not?

2: I also want to put HID for the nice, bright white looking at night. I have read article saying its illegal to put HID conversion to any halogen headlight unit but I have seen many of them with HID on the roads. Please suggest if there are any legal issues with HID conversion in my car? If there are issues, please suggest the alternative option? Please suggest what brand for HID should I buy from? Where should I go to find these great HID stores in Auckland?

Please forgive for my English seconds language if you have difficulty to understand.

Thanks.

K

GLIDN

Firstly The H&R Springs should hold up fine with 7 people. The factory ones do. Just remember you will get the rear being lower than the front.
You also need to choose your wheels if you are not going for an OEM (original Equipment) wheel. Than consider suspension being lowered after the wheels have been fitted.

As for the HID's? You will need to find some factory HID Touran lights. Try UK or Germany. Best luck in finding some. They can be adapted into your car.
Company called Kumfatec do the wiring looms for the mk4/mk5/mk6/touran etc.

You will also require VCDS (vag-com), do recode the car. It will be worth buying it if you feel like playing as you can enable and disable a few features which often are not enabled from factory.
Audi A4 DTM - K04 NZ New | All bolt-ons | Carbon Clean done
2012 MK6R Golf |Stage 3+ | Stage 4 DSG | Tuned & Built by HSP Tuning

the phantom

I suggest that you drive it at night on a dark bit of road before you opt for HIDs, the standard factory lights on my MK5 GTI were excellent
Land Transport New Zealand, taking the fun out of driving since August 2008

the phantom

just found out that HID replacement kits are illegal, but a conversion with factory parts from the same model is OK

"High intensity discharge (HID) conversion kits

HID conversion kits (an HID bulb with a high voltage power unit or ?ballast? which fits into the original headlamp unit in place of the original bulb with no change to the headlamp lens, reflector or housing) are illegal on any vehicle being used on New Zealand roads.

However, a complete halogen headlamp unit can be replaced with a complete HID headlamp unit provided that the replacement headlamp unit complies with approved standards. If in doubt, get advice from a vehicle lighting retailer you trust."

see: http://www.nzta.govt.nz/resources/get-your-lights-right/get-your-lights-right.html#direction

BB

Hi.
Welcome to vask :)
With regards to the lowering and bigger wheels. ALL modifications will affect the ride and handling. It is something you can either live with or not.

As for the HID lights. Please don't do this, apart from making your car look like a lighthouse there is a good reason for not having stupidly bright lights and that is so you dont blind on coming traffic or worse follow someboddy blinding them from the rear so the turn there mirror up and then can't see you.
The intesity of those light is very tiring for peoples eyes. I personally hate being blinded by them, Its insensitive and rude.
I hope this changes your mind.
The end is nigh, but the end of what is the question?

HandsomeDan

Hi and welcome.
I'm with BB on this one. Changing to HID may be cool for you, but the reality is, you'll likely just annoy and frustrate other drivers around you for little gain.
As for the lowering and wheels...definitely find some nice wheels first, then think about the lowering kit. 35mm is a lot, on a people mover. It may rub, it may not, but new wheels will make a bigger difference to the overall look than a lowering kit, in my opinion.

Personally, I'm a fan of the Touran. With nice wheels on, I don't think they need lowering.

Good luck with your decisions and hope you like the varied and sometimes quite conflicting opinions of us Vaskers.

Cheers, JC
1998 Mk III Golf,
1992 B4 Audi 80
2007 Toyota RAV4
2000 Mazda SP20 AWD (JDM Mazdaspeed Edition)
1996 Toyota Starlet - daily hack
2003 Opel Zafira GSi 2.2
2007 Volvo XC70

BB

I must have frightened him off with my world against me attitude. :-\

GLIDN

Not sure what all your damn hang ups are with HID's?

I already advised him to get the genuine HID headlights and install.
So will not be bugging anyone.

BB

So factory ones are ok? just because some countrys think its ok to have them does not mean they are good.
Im not really that knowledgeable as to the factory ones, all I know is that if they are really bright them I think its a case of whats good for me is good for me and I don't care who I blind.
Which would fit in with plenty of attitudes these days.

the phantom

it's irrelevant, according to my post above, replacement factory HIDs are the only legal option

GLIDN

BB - Factory ones don't reflect the glare like the aftermarket kits. Due to house preventing the Starburst affect and beam pattern.

There are nothing wrong with Genuine Factory HID's after kits are crap.

BB

Sounds like the option then ;)
I just hate people who have glaring lights that blind me.

the phantom

Filx

Outshine 'em Beebs! Don't let those nasty HID people get in yo' face.

For the OP I suggest air suspension. Comfort, adjustability and lowness at the flick of a switch. I want to see a Touran that you can't fit a jandal under when it's parked and the tyre to arch gap is tighter than the slot in an EFTPOS machine.

E.g. below ride height but with 8 million x better wheels. Do not rest until you have achieved it.
FAIL - First Attempt In Learning

slowmo

Current: 2004 MK4 R32 3-door NZ New DBP

Past: 2010 MK6 GTI / 2013 Nissan Leaf LOL / 2007 B7 RS4 / 2006 MK5 R32 / 2005 MK5 GTI / 1998 MK4 GTI / 1997 B5 A4 MTM

JDVW

Quote from: Filx on February 04, 2011, 04:18:36 PM

E.g. below ride height but with 8 million x better wheels. Do not rest until you have achieved it.

hahaha my new favourite quote
7̶9̶ M̶K̶1̶ G̶L̶S̶ (̶t̶h̶e̶ r̶a̶t̶)̶
8̶2̶ M̶K̶1̶ G̶T̶I̶
8̶3̶ M̶K̶1̶ G̶T̶I̶
9̶9̶ M̶K̶4̶ G̶T̶X̶
12 MK6 Golf Wagon

BB

I want that survivor truck! With guns and launchers and shredder hub caps etc.
That should be the new car fad.

Survival Trucks International