Project Luftcooler

Started by Salty, January 30, 2011, 11:40:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BB

There is a black rotary non fast back one in Auckland Im pretty sure I know the lady who owns it with her partner.
The end is nigh, but the end of what is the question?

Salty

That guy used to be my neighbour in Hakanoa Street, GreyLynn.  My original inspiration..It is a dark green notchback.
He built it in OZ and got it sent over.  Cost him close to 10k to get it complied and he literally chains it to the floor at night.

Oh and yes Jem - I remember as a kid the word Variant made me feel sick in my mouth - but all those years of cheap rubbish jap cars makes them all the better now huh.

S
Now in air cooled. '70 fastback 1835 turbo
2012 VW Golf Gti MKVI
2013 Triumph Street triple R

slowburn

don't you dare leave that in aussie when you leave!
99 B5 S4 Avant
85 coupe quattro
72 fiat 124 coupe
97 corolla wagon

Salty

I would never let em keep it Mikey. Then when in Nz we can claim it as our own like Russel Crowe.. Hang on
2012 VW Golf Gti MKVI

slowburn

Aus - zealand....... I'm making progress on our coupe friend,pics soon.....
99 B5 S4 Avant
85 coupe quattro
72 fiat 124 coupe
97 corolla wagon

dubstar

Hey Staf, looking good.  Are Bus n Bug really expensive?
"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying."

Salty

They are on the border of being reasonable.  If you can get the interior built by TMI which they usually do - then it is cheaper, but shipping is the killer - then any internal seat repairs... but they charge $85 perhour which is good..
2012 VW Golf Gti MKVI

Salty

Yesterday was install day - expected it to take 2 hours but took 8!
Gearbox spline wouldn't go in.  Had to pull box out in the end to find a bent bolt was causing all the grief.  Easy after that - just a bunch on skinned knuckles.

Fired up first pop and sounds pretty damn awesome - had a few flames jump out the velocity stacks at first - but sounds grumbly as hell with that oldskool exhaust.   Haven't driven as the cable was too short for linkage.  All a bit of a mess visually with FPR lying on top etc.   Am thinking of building a custom engine lid and 2 intakes connecting to the cars rear vents, as space is tight.

Here it is mocked up a few days ago

2012 VW Golf Gti MKVI

slowburn

now we're talking you magnificent beast!!!!! very nice!!!
99 B5 S4 Avant
85 coupe quattro
72 fiat 124 coupe
97 corolla wagon

BB

Salty

2012 VW Golf Gti MKVI

The Truth

Awesome, sounds like a very happy lion.

M M

That is very cool, I love that sound.
Bought not built.

Salty

I would never buy a car stereo with the induction from those dellortos going on.
2012 VW Golf Gti MKVI

dubstar

Are you heading to Day of the VW in November?
"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying."

BB

She does some good bouncing around :)

Salty

A combination of low, hard shocks and new bouncy padded seats.. Makes the ride all the more fun. On tight corners I hang into the other seat so I don't fall off mine.

Bryce - will see you there, will be exhibiting. You going to display the golf?
2012 VW Golf Gti MKVI

dubstar

My goal is to have it roadworthied and on club rego by DoVW, so should see you there!

80 Vert

Great to see it running, you still going with injection on the new motor?
2010 T5 Transporter TDI  Tuned by Superior Tuning NZ
2003 Jetta Coupe soon to be R36TT
1991 Golf GTI 2.0 TSI swapped
1963 Type 34 Karmann Ghia, turbo 2.0
1990 Porsche 964 911 Carrera 4
1980 1303 Beetle vert, under restoration

Salty

Quote from: dubstar on October 18, 2012, 10:30:58 AM
My goal is to have it roadworthied and on club rego by DoVW, so should see you there!

Club rego - I'm sure you know that once you're there the car can never go back. As a side note - you don't need a roadworthy for club rego - it is up to the club 'authorities' to look over it and deem it safe.  I always thought that would make worth a little less and harder to sell if the day came.
Even if the golf isn't ready come on out.

Vert - these dellortos are fantastic - a lot smoother than I expected.. think I will stick with them for a while.. next engine will have the big gun goodies.
2012 VW Golf Gti MKVI