Project Luftcooler

Started by Salty, January 30, 2011, 11:40:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DubMan

I like the direction, I want to do something similar one day

Salty

Haven't done a whole heap lately.  Interior is still being restored due to a broken back rest.. boring.  But will look awesome when returned with houndstooth inserts.

Decided to go a inch wider on the rear up to 7".  Will be giving it slightly wider rubber and taller profile for a subtle rake.

here's my inspiration.. and yes I do plan on the scoop too.

Now in air cooled. '70 fastback 1835 turbo
2012 VW Golf Gti MKVI
2013 Triumph Street triple R

watercooled

Great picking those wheels the cookie cutters look great on the older vw's.
Have you thought about a type 4 motor or are you keen on type 1,Vert mentions a t1 stroker and I like the injection idea.
I have my own thoughts on boring out T1 cases for big cylinders and for that matter upping the power by x3 thats why I asked.
1974 Porsche 914 with 2.2T 911 6cyl,
Audi a6 allroad 2007 3.0TDI stage 1 reflash ,
89 Corrado 2.0 16v, Stilauto RX 17in wheels,ABF on k/jet ,resto underway maybe up for sale ?,
2002 T4 transporter 2.5 TDI.

Salty

Yeah I'm really happy with the cookies - a bit different from the Fuchs and with some polish/paint they come up a treat.
I'm going to go for a type 1, 1916cc with GM based injection. There's some really talented engine builders here getting great results from the 1916.

Type 4 has been considered for sure, but generally are pretty dare to source and rebuild being from the 914 family.
2012 VW Golf Gti MKVI

BB

Old VWs are just so rad.
I love em.
The end is nigh, but the end of what is the question?

Salty

My custom Houndstooth is ready to pick up!

2012 VW Golf Gti MKVI

deedub

1983 T25 Microbus - keep forever, never finish
1988 mk2 Golf 2L 16v - work in progress

slowburn

nice one bro,jealous much.... ha ha,I have started on the road to greatness for our 4wd friend....2 piece struts in,G60s machined a lil' and at the ready,SAAB 280mm 4 x 108 mm discs and spacers,just waiting on my wheel studs 40mm vs 28mm to get here from UK....then the battery.....and then...
99 B5 S4 Avant
85 coupe quattro
72 fiat 124 coupe
97 corolla wagon

Salty

Nice nice nice.  Have you a thread yet Mike?  Want to see that car live on the way it should - well done.
2012 VW Golf Gti MKVI

slowburn

nah,trying to do it on the down low,i will start taking some pics,but i don't think some on here will like what im gonna do.....
99 B5 S4 Avant
85 coupe quattro
72 fiat 124 coupe
97 corolla wagon

slowburn

def gonna be done right though and doing the exterior last,rather look crap and be dope under the skin,than look boss and be a piece of crap... ya know what i mean? the main prob at the moment is getting the new brakes to fit under the 15's without too much faffin' about.....fail...faffin' ahoy,but nearly there...and then to re seat the front ABS sensors so the god damn light goes out...
99 B5 S4 Avant
85 coupe quattro
72 fiat 124 coupe
97 corolla wagon

Salty

Sounds good to me.. I know all about tarting up the internals and leaving the shell.  Under my 15s I have 1mm between the caliper and wheel.  I'm running 290mm up front
2012 VW Golf Gti MKVI

slowburn

good to know it can be done close.......1mm would be sweet if that's all i get...i will take pics as i go,and bang some up...
99 B5 S4 Avant
85 coupe quattro
72 fiat 124 coupe
97 corolla wagon

slowburn

1b under the hood + gear box as I have a UR rear diff i imported from the UK to keep the ratios sweet and not reving her tits off @ 100kph
99 B5 S4 Avant
85 coupe quattro
72 fiat 124 coupe
97 corolla wagon

BB

It is quite hard to space those abs sensors, use a bit of Ice cream container or something plastic spacer.

slowburn

yeah,I've been damning around with them for a month,if I'm lucky I can get to my mates place in Waikanae  where he has a workshop and him and I have been trying with some success to fit the G60s,but the sensors are the real trick as you say....

I have some of the correct sensor spacers that I ordered from the UK,hope fully that will sort it.... I noticed that the teeth on the new CV joints are bigger in size and shape than the standard ones,is that likely to have an effect on the electrical current created by them thus triggering the ABS fault as the magnetic fields will be different? I had to swap CV joints as mine didn't fit the new 2 piece hubs/struts.....
99 B5 S4 Avant
85 coupe quattro
72 fiat 124 coupe
97 corolla wagon

BB

Not 100% sure but the different teeth could make a sine wave or whatever it is that is not recognizable to the ABS ECU.........
Deedub is pretty smart on such concepts, as would Verts opinion be good to hear.

slowburn

sorry for Hijacking your thread Stafford..... :-X
99 B5 S4 Avant
85 coupe quattro
72 fiat 124 coupe
97 corolla wagon

Salty

2012 VW Golf Gti MKVI

Salty

Got the new 7" rears polished up and fitted.  I think it makes a big difference.. but the guards are now dangerously full.  Limped home from the tyre fitters and need to either roll or raise..  I'm leaning towards roll.  I like the ass drag.

Sorry about bad quality snaps;

2012 VW Golf Gti MKVI